Commando Director's Cut Steelbook AVForums Blu-ray Review

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Many thanks, appreciated the review - espcially as it didn't come across annoyingly critical :) and the final score actually applied context.

Great review Cas,
But you have now parted me from more money :(
:rotfl::D

Double post, Forum was playing up!

Last edited:
Great but I still think somebody needs to "stick around" to calculate the velocity required to hand throw a blunt steel pipe across a room and through a mans chest and then steam boiler behind him! Surely approaching supersonic speed...? :)

Great but I still think somebody needs to "stick around" to calculate the velocity required to hand throw a blunt steel pipe across a room and through a mans chest and then steam boiler behind him! Surely approaching supersonic speed...? :)

You are forgetting, He did not use his "weak arm" to throw it :laugh:

Write in to myth busters ;)

Write in to myth busters ;)

That would a great idea for Mythbusters alright! Although I think they would decline to attempt it given they know they would not have the means to accelerate a pipe to required velocity! (like one of those NASA asteroid-research rail-guns)

No extra action or "blood and guts"

Yes, extended and more gory shots in the tool shed. And more talking in the car. That's about it but Id rather see that than not see it. Slight change in dialogue from Arnie's kid at one point too.

Slightly better transfer, DC option and extras make this a no-brainer over the old barebones disc.

An Arnie classic & great review Cas.
But I'm not so sure I can go through the 48hrs type ST in DTS-HD:eek:
Thanks-Cas.

Good review Cas and an Arnie classic no doubt.

For me this is a 9/10. Why? Because its so much fun! I prefer Commando to certain other big 80's action films (yeah Im looking at you Rambo!) and its endlessly watchable.

Its not quite Arnie's best though - that came about 2 years after this, no prizes for guessing the name of the film!

As long as its not a screeching ST I'm okay with it. The movie is brilliant too... Arnie sitting in the little coupe with the seat pulled out LOL
ah god be with the days...

Its not quite Arnie's best though - that came about 2 years after this, no prizes for guessing the name of the film!
Maybe 'You'll be back' with the answer...

For me, for enjoyment value, it's easily 10/10. Obviously, there are faults three countries wide, and I know it's been picked apart on imdb, but that's just missing the point. It's Arnie in his prime condition, it has the legend that is Vernon Wells in a chain mail - it's basically a live action, adult version of GI Joe. I love Rae Dawn Chong's line: "I've had enough of this macho BS!"

I watched this a couple of months ago on Blu Ray and it is an absolute triumph.

Commando makes no attempt to try and be something it isn't - and as others have noted - is a masterclass in the art of the one liner. Quite frankly, it is an absolute joy, a guilty pleasure that transports me back to my youth. (Back in the days when I had a broad mind and a narrow waist and not the reverse.)

This goes alongside Robocop (Verhoeven), Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Aliens, and the many other movies that made the 80's such a brilliant time to grow up.

Ten out of Ten.

"Do you remember that I promised I would kill you last ...... I lied"

I mean what more do you need to do to get an Oscar ?

Last edited:
For me, for enjoyment value, it's easily 10/10. Obviously, there are faults three countries wide, and I know it's been picked apart on imdb, but that's just missing the point. It's Arnie in his prime condition, it has the legend that is Vernon Wells in a chain mail - it's basically a live action, adult version of GI Joe. I love Rae Dawn Chong's line: "I've had enough of this macho BS!"

Couldn't care less what other people think! It gets a 9/10 from me and that's only because I can think of 3 Arnie films that are slightly better. Its great fun and more importantly, it doesn't seem to have suffered with time - its just as daft and enjoyable as it ever was!

To Air stewardess: "please don't disturb my friend - he's dead tired."

I could go on all night!

Please do - this movie is as quotable as Monty Python !

Rae Dawn Chong: You steal my car, you rip the seat out, you kidnap me, you ask me to help you find your daughter which I very kindly do, and then you get me involved in a shoot out where people are dying and there's blood spurting all over the place, and then I watch you rip a phone booth out of a wall, swing from the ceiling like Tarzan, and then there's a cop that's going to shoot you and I save you and they start chasing me. Are you going to tell me what's going on or what?

Arnie: No.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom