1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Command and Conquer

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by dolph, Oct 13, 2003.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hello there,

As I have a rather rubbish graphics card I was wondering can someone suggest the best Command & Conquer game to get. I know Generals needs a better graphics card than I have got but remember playing the first version of this game and loving it.

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    What graphics card do you have?

C&C: Red alert was most probably the best 2D C&C game, I would have a go at that one.

Tiberian Sun is ok, but I found it quite easy.

3. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I only have an onboard 32mb Geforce 4 - tried a mates C&C Generals and it was soo slow!!

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Should be OK- it plays reasonbly well on my 933mhz Geforce 2 MBX 32MB, only slows down during the large explosions (cut-scenes)

5. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to get it passable (change quality settings etc), but just wondered if this game is up to the playability of the earlier ones - I'm a great beliver that as these games develop, they concentrate more on graphics and less on gameplay.

If I bought one of the earlier versions of C&C can they be played online - and if so is there anyone around still playing the older versions?

6. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    C&C Generals is at it's best online, the single player game is ok, but the game has really been balanced for online play.

C&C Red alert 2 was the biggest online from the 2D series, so you may want to try that, Yuri's revenge the expansion pack wasn't out that long ago.

7. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd recommend picking up a cheap copy of Red Alert 2 and the expansion Yuri's Revenge - that should see you going for a good while. Amazon are selling RA2 on it's own for £7.99 - but shop around and see what you find.

I used to play it on my laptop quite a bit, which is a p650 with only 64mb and an 8mb graphics card!

Red Alert 2 had quite a few things going for it over previous versions, and in my opinion is the best 2D version of the game available - there's not a lot that you can do in Generals that you can't do in Red Alert 2 - it just looks better in Generals, obviously...

Also, not sure, but I do hear that RA2 also still has quite a large online following - plus there's a great feature in the multiplayer that allows you to slightly customise your side with specific units depending on what nation you choose to play as - so for instance, if you play as the allies you'll get slightly different units if you choose America/UK/Germany - so several people can play using the same side but all have slightly different strengths and weaknesses. It's good stuff. :)

Of course, you still have to put up with the stupidly cheesey Command & Conquer storylines and oh so bloody terrible live-acted cut scenes in between missions in the campaign - but then I guess it wouldn't be C&C otherwise would it? :D

8. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    OK thanks guys, looks like a trawl round the bargain buckets for Red Alert 2 (and maybe Yuri's revenge) is in order.

9. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    It was a really good game Red Alert - I played it to the end

But the graphics now do look a bit funny

10. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    To be honest the graphics in a game like this don't mean much to me - it's the playability.

Graphics are great in Car racing / Golf that sort of thing but when it comes to strtegy I don't really car. I'm still a great fan of the old Populous / Syndicate / Powermonder / Sim City games (yes even the original Sim City!!!)

11. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,100
    The original SimCity was the best :)

If you haven't played Starcraft, I would recommend that over C&C any day, by far the best 2D RTS.

12. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hehehe - amazing! :eek:

I hadn't played StarCraft in years and recently had a hankering to play through it again - so I managed to track it down for a tenner on budget including the Brood War expansion pack (my original copy has long since vanished somewhere).

So not long ago I spent a good couple of weeks playing through that again and I can confirm that it's still as good to play now as it was about 5/6 years ago (does look a bit old, but it doesn't affect the gameplay) :)

13. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,756
    And don't forget the classic Total Annihilation the daddy of them all. It's still playable today after all these years, although not graphically brilliant

14. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh yeah, that game had me hooked for ages...

Arggh, damnit - gonna have to go dig out my copy of TA when I get home now :D

15. Dave20

Dave20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tib sun was the best gameplay.. but i cant go back to it after playing generals.. the gfx on generals is so superior.. but i play wc3 now as the game play is much better than generals

sim city 2000 rox.. with those megatropolis' which i dearly missed when i got a go of sim city 4.. no where near as good as the old 2000 version

16. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,756
    excuse my ignorance, but what's wc3 ?

17. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    wc3 = War Craft 3.

I am in the Starcraft camp, here, stunning game, with a good story to it, too. I would closely followStarcraft by Red Alert 2. I remember laughing quite a bit at Red Alert 2 - it had a sense of humour, and didn't take itself too seriously. Total Annihilation is another goody, especialy the music for some reason - it was very well done indeed.

Anyway, in answer to andrewdolphin's question, if you want a C&C game get Red Alert 2 (I even played this online - a rarity for me) but if you want the best, get starcraft with the Brood Wars add on pack.

Russell

18. SpliffCartel

SpliffCartel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, Starcraft is still the daddy! Had a lan game fairly recently at a mates house and played a lot of brood war :). Another thing that impresses me about starcraft is the pre rendered sequences still look really cool after all this time.

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Just for your info I have a copy of Red Alert 2 and I just looked on the box at the recommended Spec (for what its worth): 266mhz processor - 64mb RAM - 2mb GFX

I am sure your pc should just about cope! :D

20. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good to see that the old c&c games are still being bought! I wasted months of my life playing the original C&C and Red alert but they do look very dated now. I still regularly play red alert 2 and all of the c&c games still have a large following at westwood online.

Andrew, I have played every C&C game online and each has it strengths and weaknesses but all are still popular online and there are always people playing at all hours of the day.

Original C&C was the best for missions/ storyline
    C&C Red alert 1 was great for mods, maps and extra missions
    C&C Tiberium sun was not my favorite but worthy sequal
    C&C Red alert 2 was a good laugh and the most playable online
    C&C Generals has great 3D grafix but even online it has lost some of its 'personality'.

Still all great games though, i'd hate to add up how much time i spent playing all these.:rolleyes: