1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Command and Conquer Generals

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by z5461313, Oct 7, 2003.

1. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Hi

Is anyone playing this game. I just bought it because the expansion came out and I think its really good.

The graphics are really nice. I had heard that it was quite slow because of the high graphics quality but I'm using a pIV 2.4 with and Radeon 9800 Pro and its really smooth

You get to play with all the latest modern hardware like high speed bombers, Commanche helicopters and cruise missiles

You can configure your attacks so they are quite spectacular because you can send in your bombers first, followed by your tanks and cruise missiles with commanche helicopters in the air to back up - and it looks really good

Playing on the internet I find difficult at the moment as everyone is better than me. I think perhaps its because the game has been out so long people have really refined their tactics. But I hope to get there

2. monsieurblack

monsieurblack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    :cool:

yeah i've seen it in action, looks sweet i have to say :)

i bought it for my brother as hes really in to those kind of games...did run a lil choppy on my box [1.4ghz 768mb gf3ti500] but now they have a 3ghz 1gb radeon9800pro so i'm sure he'll find it even better ;) hehe

i hear what you're saying re: online play...it always seems the way :rolleyes: but i'm sure you'll be up to speed in no time :)

explosive
    monsieurblack

3. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    I've had the game since it first came out, but haven't got the expansion pack yet. I've only ever played it in skirmish mode so far - haven't even looked at the missions yet ! It's great fun though.
    I do have a few times where it goes very slow but I think it's because my graphics card is only a Radeon 9000 - but it is a P4 2.53Mhz. I think the graphics card must play a large part in the smooth running of the game.

4. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In all fairness, it's great game but that's mainly due to the fact that the skirmish mode and multiplayer modes are where Generals excels.

The campaign is good, don't get me wrong, with a variety of decent missions for all 3 sides, but you can have all 3 campaigns finished in under a week if you play for a couple of hours a night and once you've finished them there's really not much of an incentive to go back and do them again.

However, saying that I bought the game when it came out months ago and still play it fairly regularly now either in skirmish mode or occasionally online.

I bought the expansion last week, but my wife has nicked it off me so I haven't played it as yet...
    ..looks really good though, from what I've seen (over her shoulder) :)

5. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    What's the on-line gameplay like ?

6. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It plays really well over a broadband connection, obviously.

I've also played it over an isdn line and although it got a little choppy with 4 players when things got going, it was still completely playable.

It's actually pretty hectic though - there's some crazy strategies being used out there that you soon learn to look out for.

I've seen 4 and 6 player matches last as little as 10 minutes or drag on for hours, depending on the style of play.

You can play in teams, too, which can be a real laugh - especially if you're teamed up with somebody you know :)

Another interesting side to the multiplayer is that you can play the game with a mix of human and CPU-controlled opponents. Me and my mate have played like this now and then, teaming up to try different strategies against the computer before putting them into practice online.

It adds a hell of a lot of lifespan to the game once your done playing the campaigns, believe me - in fact I'd have to say that this is the main selling-point of the game for me, to be honest.

7. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    I've got broadband so I think I'll give it a go.
    Is it easy to team up with a mate to take on CPU opposition ? Do you have to know his IP address or is it done by user names ?

8. Toole

Toole

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The whole multiplayer aspect of Generals is controlled from a built-in game lobby system.

You'll be asked to log-in with a username and password (takes about a minute to set up) then just head for the same online lobby room as your mate (the european room is your best bet).

Once you've found your mate you can add him to your buddy list so you know whenever he's logged into generals and send him personal message etc.

then all one have you has to do is create a game with say, 4 players, give control of 2 players to the cpu and arrange the teams - password the server so that no-one else can jump in that you don't know - and then when your mate joins just finalise the teams and away you go! :)

If you've never played Generals online before AT ALL, it'll take you and your mate between 5 and 10 minutes from initial log-in to actually playing the game, so it ain't bad really. The main body of that time will be spent just getting used to the lobby system, setting up your buddy list and configuring the game you want to play. Once you're used to it it'll be a lot quicker...

I guarantee you'll enjoy it! :D

9. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,981
    Excellent - thanks for the info I'll give it a go

10. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    When you play other people it gets challenging to say the least

I've played about 30 games now and lost alot of them and I see different things nearly every time I play

Last night I lost because 5 commanche helicopters sneeked behind the back of my base ( avoiding my radar cover ) ( and I had no missile cover at the back ) and just shot up all my buildings.

So I thought I could try this with my next game and what I met was a bunch of 25 humvees with the Tow missile upgrade that just came at my base - they tore the commanches apart and everything else

And then there is the Chinese. I had one game where I had placed fairly good defences and what happened was the nuke cannons blasted my missiles first and then a bunch of massive overlord tanks with gattling upgrades and speaker tower updgrades trundled through and destroyed everything

It is good fun