Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Coming soon. Velodyne Press Release.

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by uncle eric, Feb 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A UK press release in the next week or two will highlight some interesting new products from Velodyne.

VX-10
    First off, Velodyne have now launched the VX-10 subwoofer. This is a small high performance budget model. The VX-10 will carry a 10" driver powered by a 100 watt RMS amp (peaking at 150 watts for short intervals)
    This will be a ported model which will help boost the LF. The models come in Cherry wood and Silver finish.
    The high street retail price of these will be a storming £249.

Digital Drive,
    The now infamous Velodyne 1812 will herald other "Digital Drive" products from Velo. This mother of all subwoofers (which I've already nicknamed King Kong :smoke: ) is constructed using solid cast alluminum with cavities for extra weight loading :eek: of it's off the shelf and already not so light weight of over 400 Lbs.
    As some already know, it has a single 18" driver and a single 12" driver. Both are powered by a 3 kilowatt (3000 watt) amp.
    I'm told that such is the draw of power at switch on, an (approx) 30 amp spur socket is a necessity for the installation of this animal.

The key feature of the 1812 are the EQ capabilities which will be passed down to a line up of Velodynes new premier "Digital Drive" range. These will be DD-10/ DD-12/ DD-15 and DD-18

The DD-15 and DD-18 as they will be known feature modified amp's and drivers of which exact details will be released shortly.
    They will also have a composite video out, Beyer Dynamic pro microphone, mike stand, and 20 meter lead. These subs will contain an onboard parametric room EQ system that will smooth out the frequency range in given listening positions. Sidetracking here a little. As mentioned in a previous post, the size of these optimal listening positions will still very much depend on the manual placement of your sub. Regardless, the user will have the opportunity to punch in (via video display, hence composite video out,) six different presets.
    Incredibly, this means that if you have to give up your sweetspot for a guest, you can actually take it with you :eek:
    Hit a button on the remote, it's over at chair number 3 :eek:
    The DD range even has an RS232 port for future software upgrades.....

As this is somewhat of a unique product, Velodyne will not allow a power-buy on the Digital Drive range :mad:
    This means that the price hike (approx 20-25%) from the HGS range will actually be 40-45% without the power-buys :(
    This means that the HGS-15 and 18 will be somewhat of a bargain if you can still get one after June.

These products are targeted to launch at the end of June. Keyword here is targeted. Certain aspects of sofware and programming are not yet finalized and "could" lead to delays. We don't know.

What we do know is that the hugely successful HGS-15 and 18 (which both passed the Ultra 2 spec very recently) will carry on for at least 6 months and possibly longer.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOW
    And I think that's probably understating the fact.
    Makes me think I should quit what I'm doing and start making subwoofers - as Velodyne are in serious need of some competition.:D

3. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Eric!
    It's going to be a loooonng, looooong wait for the DD-18.
    I think I can take it :rolleyes:

Remember: You heard it here first!

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    User definable sweet-spots!
    Theres a thing - i must be getting old!

Steve.

5. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rubbish!

My 5" PC Subwoofer is better!

Any chance of a green-eyed monster smiley?

6. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the DD 18 is roughly about £1000 more than the HGS-18 I'm very tempted indeed, shame about the power buy situation though :(

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phil,
    I hear you mate :(
    Velodyne are taking a tough stand on this. They have spent much time, effort and money on R&D to develop this unique, ground breaking product, and feel that they will be jumped on by a mob. Apparently, they are right.

Rumor has it there is already the beginings of a waiting list. :eek:
    No joke!!!

We have allocated some 20 units for the UK ourselves so hope to be ok for the launch date. Lets see what happens.

The approx price for the DD-18 will be something like £650 more than the HGS-18 which retails at £2695. Total for DD-18 should be approx £3345

8. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I could buy one without first hearing comments from current HGS-15/18 users. I just find it hard to believe that the HGS can be bettered, I mean if the difference is only the eq abilities I'll take a pass but if the DD18 is [takes deep breath] superior to the HGS I think I'll have to have one.

P.S - When you say "we" Eric do you mean the UK distributor in Scotland?

9. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Which is still some 15-20% cheaper than a list Rel Studio.

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,
    I guess when one thinks about it that way, the DD range is not that expensive after all. Thanks for that.

Phil,
    Yep. The distributer and myself are carrying the bags in a big way. I had a long conversation with Redline this afternoon and they were saying they wanted to keep these products as exclusive as possible. Don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing really.

While at the new Velodyne plant in the US last week, the Redline boys managed to take several pictures of products, the production line and loads of other interesting stuff which they will send me tomorrow. I'm hoping to post pictures as and when they arrive.

11. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    one tidbit:
    Per Curt at Velo,
    The DD-18 will probably NOT outperform the HGS18 but will simply match it.
    It will just have more CONTROL over itself with computer onboard and electronics.
    Similar to Pioneer receivers, a microphone will come with it and you must connect it to a TV to calibrate it. After that it is like any other HGS-18.
    It will be available in Piano Gloss Black, Maple or Cherry only.
    Nothing else.
    "Call me back in May" and "2nd quarter end of June" were closing words.

12. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Eric,

Interesting product, do they have digital XLR inputs?

14. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You'll find my (Morgan driving) friend Curt Chisholm is not divulging all just yet. There are a few more surprises along the way :)

15. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    The Digital Drive range will currently have analogue XLR's (along with RCA's).
    Curt mentioned that there was a meeting with Meridian about using a D/A converter to achieve some form of digital connection but that remains unresolved as yet.

16. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting...
    Can't think why you'd need a D/A convertor - since Velodyne use Class D amplification & there's obviously some DSP doing the room correction inside the unit. Thinking more about it, digital is the way to go, especially with a subwoofer, since unecessary A/D and D/A stages can be avoided quite easily.
    Obviously vanilla SPDIF isn't the best way to go about linking everything up in the digital domain. But there should be some way of achieving a pure digital link.

17. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Couldn't agree more. Watch this space.

18. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sure would like a pic of the DD-18.
    Thanks for the 1812 pics though.

19. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cajunlab,

I'd imagine that the DDs will look almost exactly the same as the HGS series, though possibly with a nice discrete THX Ultra2 badge on the front:D
    The 1812 does look like a beast though:devil:

20. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen the chunks of cast solid aluminum on this bugger :eek:
    Someone please lend me $15k :zonked:

21. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    OK, anyone fancy giving me, a 1/6 of the way through computer science and management joint honours student a £100k/year job? I need a house in the country, and a big room, and pleanty of £££ to spare! :D

22. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No chance mate, I have that job already in my sights...:devil:

23. cajunlab

cajunlab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder how the automatic room equalization will work with the MCAAC in my Pioneer 49TXi (AX10)?
    Will it do anything the Pioneer doesn't already do automatically? or be redundant?
    And if there is a digital "special" cable required I'm screwed since my cables are buried in sheetrock & paint. (Two-RG6 coax's & two 2-conductor spkr wire only betw. sub & rcvr.)

24. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For some reason best known only to Pioneer the MCACC system only operates down to about 65Hz. Running the subs calibration first should therefore not produce any problems if you then run the MCACC process, since the two operate over almost completely seperate frequency ranges. But it would be a good idea to set the sub before the MCACC since one will correct the other above 70Hz, but if there's no problem with the response the MCACC doesn't do anything.

25. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    ignore....wrong thread.

26. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    This stuff looks seriously interesting with Velodyne dealing with the biggest sub problems. Well done, seriously innovative kit. I would love to get my hands on some more technical info if anyone gets any.

[The Pioneer stuff doesn't do this at all, look to TAMREQ / Feedback destroyer for something similar].

This is good news for AV.

27. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    As soon as I have more, you can be sure I'll drop you a line.

Your friend in London

28. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Eric,

Lets hope they sort something out regarding the digital input, it often annoys me when I see Digital products without any digital inputs (or outputs) :mad:

My next speaker system will almost certainly be digital and active, Dynaudio's Air looks favourite at the mo. Pre/pro's with digital speaker outputs are few and far between so I'm might have to wait a while, not that I have the money, but that has never stopped me before. :p

29. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    Meridian already does this with their speaker system but to be honest, I don't think it's up to the standard (subjectively) as the rest of their hardware

30. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    Based on experience to date I'd agree with Eric's assessment of Meridian digital speakers. The DSP33s aren't really much cop - can't imagine anyone wanting to pay £2595 for them. The DSP5000s aren't bad, but at £4275 they're still behind the best £3000-£3500 passive speakers. The DSP5500s are very nice - but at £7695 they damn well ought to be. I haven't listened to very much in that price bracket for comparison, but my suspicion is that they're still overpriced for what they are.

If you wanted a stereo-only movie-and-music system then you could hook the digital outputs of a 598 straight into a pair of DSP5500s. The player is able to control the volume of the speakers via some sort of system bus, so compared with a conventional system (player -> pre-amp -> power amp -> speakers) you aren't just making the switch from amp + passive speakers to active speakers, you also save the price of the pre-amp. But this isn't so good for films. I believe you can actually hook 5 or 6 Meridian speakers straight into the digital outputs of a Meridian player, and the player can decode DD or DTS, but if you do this then there are no channel delays (so all the speakers have to be the same distance from the listening position) and, even more importantly, no bass management.

It's rather a shame that Meridian don't do a cut-down version of the 568.2 which loses all of the analogue functions and is designed purely to do processing and bass management in between a Meridian player and Meridian digital speakers. As it is if you use a 568.2 for this then you're paying for 8 channels of DACs and surrounding circuitry that you never use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.