Coming from Samsung HU8200, would love some advice! (thanks!)

DarrenCarnall

TL;DR - wanting to spend £1 - £2k on a new set.. advice?

Hi guys! These forums have been a wonderful source of advice to me over the years (almost overwhelmingly so lol) and now I'd love some opinions from you!
5 or 6 years ago I upgraded from an old 42" plasma to an LG EC930v OLED. It was a revelation. Mind blowing in fact... except it had the most annoying (and un-ignorable) pink tints on any white scenes. Empire Strikes Back was unwatchable with all the snow!

I had it replaced twice, and each one had exactly the same problems. Thanks to these forums I found out it was a common and known fault. The next model up was 65" and did NOT have the same problem... but I just couldn't afford the jump in cost at the time. So I spent the same money (about £2,000) on a pre-HDR 65 inch Samsung HU8200. (I wanted an 8500 but everywhere had sold out of them)

I love the extra screen size and this has done us well in the last 5 years and I'd say 80% of the time, on bright lit-all-over scenes it's actually wonderful. And it has 3D which I really do love, even if I don't use it that much. But any dark scenes... space with a bright spaceship in the middle, a dark haunted house with a bright character.... there's that horrible edge-lit woosh of distracting light coming in from the sides right across the entire screen. It ruins to many of my favourite shows and films as I love sci-fi, and a lot of them have such scenes! It's something I can no longer ignore, and so I'm looking to spend between £1,000 and (possibly) up to £2,000 on a new set.

I'd love your opinions on what I could go for.

I've accepted that I'll be losing the 3D (until I get a projector or something) although I did find a refurbished LG set for £2k but going for a 4 year old set just seemed... unwise.

I've been reading these forums about the LG 65CX OLED and I can get that for £2k... and might find myself pushing the budget to get it, as I really REALLY miss that OLED look.

But I've seen several sets that are £1,000 or £1,500... some samsung, some Hisense... and they should be way better than my old edge lit HU8200 because they are full array and have dimming zones... something I desperately wished my current one had. Would one of these be good enough? I don't actually know how good full array LED sets are!! As I've never used one before - (I usually watch in a fairly dim lit room, or dark for films)

Please throw your advice and opinions at me!! I'd genuinely love to know what you have, what you think I should go for. I read hundreds of pages in these threads which is great.. (and took days lol) but it would be useful to actually get advice from people who own or have owned different brands/models.

Thanks everyone! And sorry for the long post! 🙈 😊

Last edited:

Dodgexander

If you want to eradicate the inherent weakness of LCD TV tech then you'll have to go OLED, but some of the higher end FALD TVs do come close and tend to have decent backlight control.

What kind of conditions do you view the TV?
Does this help?

What about your prospected HDR use. Do you need the TV to display HDR or are you mainly using non-HDR sources?

Bearing in mind you tend to pay a premium on OLEDs at larger sizes. So in pure bang for buck a TV like the Sony XH9505 is better value than the CX OLED, for example.

DarrenCarnall

What kind of conditions do you view the TV?
What about your prospected HDR use. Do you need the TV to display HDR or are you mainly using non-HDR sources?

Thanks for replying! We're usually in a fairly dark room (Windows behind telly with thick Venetian blinds on) or pitch black if watching good films at night. So it's never competing against sunlight or anything.

Not sure about HDR as I've never had the ability to use it so I never looked into it!

We've got a large Blu-ray collection, Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ all coming from an Xbox One. (Sometimes from the Virgin V6 TiVo)

martin 39

In a dark room and with black Friday looming i would definitely go oled. Prices on the 65 lg oleds are starting to see a drop already.

Dodgexander

Definitely benefit from an OLED with those conditions. Prices are of course higher, but the difference will get less as OLEDs see more reductions over time.

Consider buying at a better time than now, OLED Price Changes is a useful thread.

If you're a gamer too probably LG OLEDs like the CX are your best bet.

DarrenCarnall

Thanks guys! That price thread is an interesting read I'll keep an eye on that. I saw a graph that showed TV prices usually keep going down until Spring? I didn't know it was so predictable. That's actually really useful. I'll keep my eye on things! I appreciate the help! 👍😊

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom