• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Coming Back To Windows From A Mac....

Sparky83

Hello,

As the title says, i'm reverting back to good old windows!

I loved my iMac but it didn't do everything i wanted. Anyway,

I have a PC i built a while back with the below spec....

Antec 1200 Twelve Hundred

MSI N275GTX LIGHTNING

Antec TruePower New 750W

ASUS P6T SEiX58 Socket 1366 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

LG GGW-H20L Super Multi Blu-Ray Writer & HD-ROM Reader

2x 1TB Samsung HD103UJ Spinpoint F1,

1x 2TB Samsung HDD

1x 300GB Samsung HDD

6GB (3x2GB) CorsairXMS3, DDR3 PC3-10666 (1333) 240 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 9-9-9-24

Intel i7 920, D0 SLBEJ S1366, Bloomfield, 2.66 GHz, QPI 4.8GT/s, 8MB Cache, 20x Ratio, 130W, Retail

I'm looking to may upgrade as and where it might need it. I know the GPU is a bit dated now and i'll want to play games so that will be on my to do list.

Also, having come from my Mac i liked the email program with it, what is the best bet for this on windows?

By the way i should add i'm planning on getting windows 8.

Same question with regards to my photo's?

Music will be iTunes based anyway as i'll be keeping my iPhone and quite like iTunes anyway.

Anything else i should think about before i start?

Sparky83

Also looking for a program to get that will work like iPhoto does, i just want to be able to view my photo's my date etc and it look "pretty"

Sonic67

Banned
Windows 8 is a little confusing at first as it has the metro on one side and the Windows 7 type screen on the other. My first few days with it I thought was a bit confusing. Now I don't have a problem.

Windows has it's own photo viewer and music player software though you can use itunes if you want.

You might want to read Techradars review of Windows 8 as that cover all of it.

Sparky83

Thanks for the reply,

I'll have a look for the review. I do like the look of 8 and guess it can't be that hard to get used to.

Better get it ordered then.

phillyd1981

Sparky what dose the imac not do that you require windows for I have never used a mac and what you said there caught my eye.

Sparky83

phillyd1981 said:
Sparky what dose the imac not do that you require windows for I have never used a mac and what you said there caught my eye.

I loved my iMac, don't get me wrong. But...

I missed playing my PC games, there are so many that font work on a mac, and yes you can get windows on the mac, which I did but it ment having the Mac OS running along with windows and a game draining its resources.

Then there is the fact that you can't upgrade them, ok to a degree you can but only really RAM or a SSD installed etc.

If game and program developers made everything running on either operating system I might have stuck with the mac but then the hardware comes back into it.

I'm now ordering a new monitor as once you've had the 27" iMac screen it's hard going back to something smaller and inferior.

I certainly wouldn't tell anyone to not get a mac, far from it. It just depends on what you want your computer to do.
If gaming is reasonably high on your agenda then maybe think twice.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
Windows has it's own photo viewer

It actually has two. The crappy & annoying Windows 8 one and the decent one that Windows 7 used.

I changed the default program so that when I click on a picture it opens in the Win 7 one.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
I'm now ordering a new monitor as once you've had the 27" iMac screen it's hard going back to something smaller and inferior.

You can actually used the Imac's screen as a monitor for your PC (or another Mac for that matter).

You'd need to connect the PC to the IMac via a Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort cable. Not HDMI & an adaptor.

The iMac will recognise the signal and switch to "target display mode" automatically.

Pressing Command & F2 on the iMac's keyboard will toggle it back to it's own display.

Obviously the downside of this it that the Imac needs to be running too.

Oh, and it only works with 27" imacs apparently.

Sparky83

Apparently my model was just a little too old for this to work as I did ask about it before, even had a thread on here I think.

Never mind, it's gone now and my new screen should be here today, hopefully along with win 8 so I can install my new ssd and get win 8 working

Sonic67

Banned
It actually has two. The crappy & annoying Windows 8 one and the decent one that Windows 7 used.

I changed the default program so that when I click on a picture it opens in the Win 7 one.

Bit like the two IE's I think. I think it makes a little sense in that Windows 8 might be running on one of the hybrid laptop/tablets around now so if you are using it as a tablet you need a touch interface as a laptop you will be using a touchpad or mouse.

Wild Weasel

Distinguished Member
There's two media players as well. If I wanted a damn tablet I'd get an ipad.

Sonic67

Banned
It's because everyone was getting ipads Microsoft did it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom