Coming 2 America (Amazon Prime) Movie Review & Comments

I think it was really enjoyable, didn't expect it really. Some great nostalgia in there and Eddie and Arsenio playing half the characters was good.

Favourite bits were the barbershop and
the nod to Trading Places with the interview at Duke and Duke right at the start

6 lions out of 10 bathing girls

I'm more in the 4 out of 10 wipers territory.
I think I may have been in the same place but it made me smile and laugh throughout, that was enough to make it a good film.

I'm amazed so many of the original cast showed up considering how much of a gap there was.

It would have been a 10 for me if Daryl had made an appearance.

Sadly it didn't entertain me or the missus at all. I felt the connection and on screen chemistry from Eddie and Arsenio was missing and not much on screen time together. I understand the need to do the plot change to be about the son but I felt nothing for his character so most of the film I was waiting for eddie or Arsenio. Plus, to me what made the premise of the original so good and original was the "situation" of 80's new York and how two naive Zummanda natives survive in the crazy city. This was missing of course.

I've just watched Coming 2 America. I'm not gong to give it a rating other than to tell you I laughed. I laughed and laughed and laughed. It won't be for everyone but I enjoyed it. Lafometre off the scale. And half the characters are Eddie Murphy. Yeah, really enjoyed this one.

Still haven't watched the rest of it.

I thought it was pretty good. It worked amazingly well despite how much time has passed.

Couple of things I wasn't too keen on:

I liked the first one best when Eddie Murphy was in 'fish out of water' mode while in Queens. He was one-note regal for the most part in this (understandably so, he was home after all).

Some of the callbacks didn't quite work and felt a bit dated
stand on one leg and bark like a dog - seriously? she is still doing that?

What I loved:

Arsenio Hall was an absolute joy to watch.

Wesley Snipes stole the show in every scene he was in. He was amazing!

A worthy sequel. I enjoyed it.

Got around to watching it tonight, thats a waste of a few hours , didn't like it apart from the barbershop guys and the singer 4/10

Sadly it didn't entertain me or the missus at all. I felt the connection and on screen chemistry from Eddie and Arsenio was missing and not much on screen time together. I understand the need to do the plot change to be about the son but I felt nothing for his character so most of the film I was waiting for eddie or Arsenio. Plus, to me what made the premise of the original so good and original was the "situation" of 80's new York and how two naive Zummanda natives survive in the crazy city. This was missing of course.
100% agree.

Was totally aiming for the nostalgia trip in a covid world, stuck at home, perhaps it ticked that box for a lot of people.
There was so much "missing" though, the chemistry between Eddie and Arsenio was off the chart funny in the original, it was barely explored here, and Lisa's character who was the strong independant woman in the original who wouldn't stand for male chauvinistic attitudes, had all but resigned herself to letting the Zamundan ways of favouring men, despite having 3 daughters.
Eric La Salle (Soul Glow) was criminially missing in this nostalgia trip, on IMDB Logan in 2018 looked like the last thing he was in, oh well reruns of ER on 4OD will need to do!
Just didn't land with me at all, 2/10.

I didn't not enjoy it....but it felt very disconnected from the original. It took me a while to put my finger on why then figured it out. It was like I was watching a pantomime, rather than a comedy movie.

Wasn’t too bad, we quite enjoyed it, wasn’t as bad as I was expecting to be fair.

Wasn’t too bad, we quite enjoyed it, wasn’t as bad as I was expecting to be fair.
Yes just OK for me but not a patch on the original and a tamer affair. Good to see Morgan Freeman looking so well but sad that age looks to be taking its toll on James Earl Jones. Nobody gets any younger, sadly.

I didn't not enjoy it....but it felt very disconnected from the original. It took me a while to put my finger on why then figured it out. It was like I was watching a pantomime, rather than a comedy movie.
Absolutely! I was going to write this exact comment a few posts up! Both me and my partner said it was very "pantomime" at the time. It was the way each character was "introduced" and approached the scene with a silly walk or dance. It just needed some canned audience booing or cheering to complete the feel.

Just let your soul glow :)
Coming 2 America not a patch of the first movie, Wesley Snipes acting made us cringe. I would give it 6/10.

I remembered enjoying the original so, on the strength of that, attempted to watch the new version. I have to say, the picture quality looked great thanks to some excellent lighting but I waited an hour for the laughs to come which, for me, they didn't. It just felt flat, unimaginative and lukewarm, which was a shame as Eddie Murphy can deliver the goods if he has a good script. I took a pit stop at the one hour mark and decided not to bother with the rest of the movie. Hi ho.

I had to think about this, and yes, i think youre right. Big groups singing, dancing etc. It probably would transfer well to the stage! But looking back, we both enjoyed it and given the times were in, and perhaps as nostalgic fans of the original, we're a bit more forgiving than most. No its not a classic but why should it be? Having watched a lot more films than usual, its certainly not the worst movie out there (Travolta's Poison Rose anyone?) and provided us with a couple of hours entertainment. To expect an epic blockbuster everytime you turn the telly on is a bit disingenuous in my view. 6.5/10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom