Coming 2 America (Amazon Prime) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
So we're going to take your 7 and call it a 9 ;)

There was a lot riding on this review. I said to Bruce in it's main thread, if it wasn't sounding good I was going to bypass it all together and pretend it doesn't exist. As I love the first one, and didn't want it tainted by a dodgy sequel that shouldn't have been made.

Cheers for putting my mind at ease :)

Big fan of the original so I was looking forward to this but sadly I found it boring, the jokes were dry, it's as if they were treading on egg shells not to offend anyone. I guess I can't blame the writers given how Woke the world is now.

1614973360331.png

"Let them take a little bit off the top."

Full disclosure - I don't exactly hold Coming To America as some sort of 80's classic. Having rewatched it recently, it's harmless enough and generates a fair few laughs, but is nothing like the calibre of Beverly Hills Cop or Trading Places. So, I didn't exactly approach this belated followup like the 'second coming'. I'm all for a long overdue sequel when done well - Fury Road and The Color Of Money spring to mind. The 1988 original didn't really warrant a sequel, but I'm pleased to report it proved to be very watchable, had me chuckling at some surprisingly well scripted gags, and maintains the charm of the original.
Prince Akeem is one of Eddie Murphy's more gentle creations, and whilst he doesn't hold a candle to Axel Foley or Reggie Hammond, there's a good degree of charisma to his wide eyed, naive nice guy royal. He seems as surprised as anyone to find himself on a second quest to America in search of a supposedly illegitimate offspring. Makers certainly go all out in ensuring a good amount of returning cast members such as the eternally youthful Arsenio Hall, the mighty James Earl Jones, John Amos and Murphy's onscreen wife Shari Headley. It's a joy to see John Amos and his NOT McDonald's empire back in particular, and he gets one of the film's best scenes with Murphy.
A lot of Murphy's and Hall's multiple characters get a look in too, bringing some of the bigger laughs, Leslie Jones once again wheels out her usual shouty brash persona (does she ever try anything different?), but Wesley Snipes has a ball as a warmongering Zumunda neighbour of Murphy's. There's a generous quota of cameos and I've got to say, I haven't been as entertained as this in a fair old while, and smiled almost constantly. It gets a little Lord Of The Rings with it's ending(s), but that's a minor quibble. Very much one of those productions where it appears that the cast had plenty of fun shooting it.
Like the first instalment, it has a big heart, with a nice message at it's core. After a lot of initial trepidation when this was first announced, this proved to be a genuinely nice surprise. Forget the lukewarm reviews and give it a go - you might just have a great time with it.

7.5/10

Last edited:
Turns out that one of cinema's most peculiar
trilogies is now complete.

Trading Places - Coming To America - Coming 2 America.
The seeds were sown with the Don Ameche cameo in the 1988 film, and was touched upon again in a nice way with this new sequel.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Intending to do a back to back with the original this weekend.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Intending to do a back to back with the original this weekend.
Very wise. Anyone who's not seen the original in years would do well to do the same. Think you'll get more out of the sequel that way.

Last edited:
I love the original, especially the mike drop by “sexual chocolate”......brilliant. 🤣🤣🤣

Just watched this and apart from the odd giggle, I thought it was absolutely terrible!
The original had great performances and heart. This was an odd nostalgic bad trip with a replay of the original film characters who were all looking a bit worse for wear.
Eddie M still looking good though. Ageless. And Mr. Snipes did well with his character.
I was hoping John Landis had been tempted back to helm again but he was wise to steer well clear.
And the old barber shop quartet should have been six foot under by now! Just an excuse for Eddie M to get in to make up/character again.

I quite liked it, but can't hold a candle to the original. Eddie Murphy is always fun, although Dolomite still is his best film from the last few years. Wish Wesley Snipes had gotten a bit more screen time, his ending also felt a bit underwhelming. All in all still a pretty nice watch if you like the first one.

it was enjoyable enough as part of prime. Went straight into Beverly Hills Cop2 afterwards. Thats still a belter. Damn i miss Tony Scott. :(

when can we expect his stand-up on Netflix. Raw and Delirious were outstanding.

I gave it a 6. Eddie’s outshone by the rest of the cast but decent, if unremarkable.

when can we expect his stand-up on Netflix. Raw and Delirious were outstanding.
Raw gets the most attention, but Delirious for me is my much-preferred show.

Watched the original a few weeks ago with the missus in preparation, she had never seen it :eek:

Looking forward to this one!

Both of us really enjoyed Dolomite last weekend, definitely one of his better movies in the last few decades.

I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

I thought it struck just the right balance for nostalgia with some really nice nods to the original, but at the same time it feels fresh and up to date.

You can criticise some of the plot for being "seen that story before" but I think that's the point.

It's genuinely funny and warm, it's got a brilliant soundtrack and some fantastic cameos, particularly in one early scene.

It was grand. Bit silly but not offensive to watch. The barber scenes were hilarious imo

View attachment 1471185

"Let them take a little bit off the top."

Full disclosure - I don't exactly hold Coming To America as some sort of 80's classic. Having rewatched it recently, it's harmless enough and generates a fair few laughs, but is nothing like the calibre of Beverly Hills Cop or Trading Places. So, I didn't exactly approach this belated followup like the 'second coming'. I'm all for a long overdue sequel when done well - Fury Road and The Color Of Money spring to mind. The 1988 original didn't really warrant a sequel, but I'm pleased to report it proved to be very watchable, had me chuckling at some surprisingly well scripted gags, and maintains the charm of the original.
Prince Akeem is one of Eddie Murphy's more gentle creations, and whilst he doesn't hold a candle to Axel Foley or Reggie Hammond, there's a good degree of charisma to his wide eyed, naive nice guy royal. He seems as surprised as anyone to find himself on a second quest to America in search of a supposedly illegitimate offspring. Makers certainly go all out in ensuring a good amount of returning cast members such as the eternally youthful Arsenio Hall, the mighty James Earl Jones, John Amos and Murphy's onscreen wife Shari Headley. It's a joy to see John Amos and his NOT McDonald's empire back in particular, and he gets one of the film's best scenes with Murphy.
A lot of Murphy's and Hall's multiple characters get a look in too, bringing some of the bigger laughs, Leslie Jones once again wheels out her usual shouty brash persona (does she ever try anything different?), but Wesley Snipes has a ball as a warmongering Zumunda neighbour of Murphy's. There's a generous quota of cameos and I've got to say, I haven't been as entertained as this in a fair old while, and smiled almost constantly. It gets a little Lord Of The Rings with it's ending(s), but that's a minor quibble. Very much one of those productions where it appears that the cast had plenty of fun shooting it.
Like the first instalment, it has a big heart, with a nice message at it's core. After a lot of initial trepidation when this was first announced, this proved to be a genuinely nice surprise. Forget the lukewarm reviews and give it a go - you might just have a great time with it.

7.5/10
Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately for me, Coming 2 America is a largely unfunny film with paper-thin characters, a ludicrously predictable script that apparently did not progress beyond the first draft, and utterly, devoid of the original’s charm. IMHO it was waste added nothing to the original.

Glad you enjoyed it. Unfortunately for me, Coming 2 America is a largely unfunny film with paper-thin characters, a ludicrously predictable script that apparently did not progress beyond the first draft, and utterly, devoid of the original’s charm. IMHO it was waste added nothing to the original.
Your apparent information is incorrect Sir the script took 4 years also Tracy Morgan was the son up until the 3rd draft. The script is quite excellent & shows that a lot of love went into this production.

Jump to 12:16 Tracy Morgan as son.

Jump to 1:48 for 4 years of script development.

Last edited:
Thanks Cas for the review I also enjoyed my watch a nice light hearted film that worked more or less
7/8 is about right for me. Nothing will every touch the original but then these are different times.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom