Coming 2 America (Amazon Prime) Movie Review & Comments

gfreek

How disappointing that the writers didn't include jokes that might offend people.

Bring back the casual racism and misogyny of the 1980s, I say.
Sadly Coming 2 America is one of those reboots that Hollywood is desperate to reimagine some of the classic films from the ’80s and ’90s. But unfortunately, this is another that does not quite capture the magic of the original. And how could it? The original was made for a different time.

There were many things of the original film that would not be acceptable now, almost all the jokes told back then would-be grounds for uproar today. So Coming 2 America treads on eggshells and tries to avoid those scenarios that are just...not as funny. I am not saying they should do it like the original, but this fails to replace them with something more meaningful.

I like nostalgia but in this, all they do is remind me how much more interesting and funnier the original was.

In nutshell this film's attempt to update the story has a reverse effect: Rather than add to the narrative, it neutralises what made it so impactful first time, rewriting the past instead of forging the future. The result is a film that is aesthetically appealing and safe enough for you to watch with the whole family — but did that have to come at the expense of the fun?

Giburrows

I loved the original and rewatched that last year at some point. I watched this last night and thought it was poor, really weak, lacked the humour and charm of the original. Pointless release in my opinion. I'd give it a 4 or 5 out of 10
What gets a 3 and lower for you????

Cliff

Distinguished Member
All the family watched it last night on the big screen. It was a hit!
We had seen the first movie about three weeks ago, so we’re up to speed with the story and flash backs.

My wife noted there was less cursing in the new movie.

I was expecting to be disappointed, but I wasn’t.
One of the best family movies this year, and your rating is spot on Cas.

HMTB

What gets a 3 and lower for you????

Something like this without the good will generated by the first film and without a good cast/cameos, but as I wrote that I did think I could have given it a lower score. Forget the number, very forgettable film.

P.s. I agree that films were better in the past. Most of my blu ray purchases are of older films.

johnny-17

Nice nostalgia trip, pretty much about sums it up and I’m not sure why people were expecting anything other ?

Going to be a very boring future when it comes to comedy 😁

enigma1701

I didn't get through it all, half an hour left on the clock. I'll get around to finishing it off but I'm in no rush as it was dragging for me. The American Prince was just irritating and it started amusing enough but lost it.

I can't add to any of the previous comments regarding the jokes but I agree that it's probably a failure of the current climate which is a dire shame.

5/10 at best!

Mr Quint

Distinguished Member
Just done watching this, my wife thought it was awful and I had tears rolling down my face in parts. The only thing missing for me was some of the grit and guts of the original. I'm sure Clarence had an F Bomb dubbed during one line in the barbers shop, if so they should have left it in. Overall I had a riot, "There's a God Somewhere!"

nickkuk

I would give it a 4/10, my son, who loves the original movie and has watched it many times also thought it was pretty mediocre.

I drifted off asleep twice while watching it, it didn't hold my interest and the plot was pretty slow, predictable and as safe as safe can be. It was OK but not a patch on the first film. Eddie Murphy is as likeable as ever and carries the film well, and its a nice enough story, but overall I thought just too safe and formulaic.

xafier

Just watched this, was exactly what I expected, something to give us a few laughs on a Sunday night. Nothing too serious and not going to win any awards, but enough to pass the time and give you the odd laugh.

I quite liked the Dolomite nod in the ending credits :D

shaolin kid

Just watched this, was exactly what I expected, something to give us a few laughs on a Sunday night. Nothing too serious and not going to win any awards, but enough to pass the time and give you the odd laugh.

I quite liked the Dolomite nod in the ending credits :D
Dolomite is a good film... That was obviously made with no restrictions... This in the other hand, I'm really surprised Eddie Murphy made this... But money talks

ggwoodland

I enjoyed this certainly better than I expected. Surprised by both the acting and musical cameos. Enjoyable film for a Sunday night. A 7/10 seems fair for me as well. - george

slay

Very disappointing in my view, a few funny moments but turned it off before the end 3/10 if that.

Har-One

That was one of my favourite scenes.
I thought "Wow, they managed to get En Vogue", followed by "Ooh! Salt N Pepa too!"....and then "OHMYGODITSGLADYSKNIGHT!"
(Big fan of the last one as you can probably tell)
I thought the line up was brilliant. Not that I remember them I am far too young. :rotfl:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I was halfway through it last night and decided I was tired and shuffled off to bed.

I'm thinking of doing the same shortly, have done little today and haven't had the urge to go back and finish it.
Snipes is the biggest surprise in it as he looks like he's defied time. The rest of them, unsurprisingly, look much older (John Amos is literally a shadow of himself and how are the barbers still alive?)

It's missing something, the charm is gone and the production just looks a bit... cheap.

I'll get around to finishing it later on in the week, but I said that about Wonder Woman '84. Still not finished it. I'd have to pay to rent it again now. Nope.

swartzy

Distinguished Member
disappointed by this could have been much better as I thought it was terrible but loved the original a very poor remake. The thing I enjoyed about CTA2 was seeing some of the original characters 30 years on there was a certain nostalgia about this as the 80s had some great films looking back.

Last edited:

iFi audio

AVForums Sponsor
Your apparent information is incorrect Sir the script took 4 years also Tracy Morgan was the son up until the 3rd draft. The script is quite excellent & shows that a lot of love went into this production.

Jump to 12:16 Tracy Morgan as son.

Jump to 1:48 for 4 years of script development.

It seems to me that Eddies and Arsenio are much funnier in the movie than in real life.

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
It seems to me that Eddies and Arsenio are much funnier in the movie than in real life.
Always a tricky one when it comes to comedians, why do people expect them to funny all the time as after all it's a job, Mr Murphy is now 59 he's not as Raw as he used to be which is quite natural happens to us all.

I think this movie is kind of on par with his Dr. Dolittle movies i.e. family fun.

Not that Eddie needed a revival as he's never gone away to my mind but this is quite obviously a push back into the limelight, so a lot riding on it for him I suspect.

For me Trading Places will remain his best work in movies. What comes next remains to be seen.

Last edited:

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Why I scored this movie higher than most.

Many times over the years have I revisited Coming to America why because I enjoy it & like many movies of that period it is a reminder of 1988 or there abouts. I can understand why some might be disappointed as it was far less RAW & shall we say raunchy than the original & as correctly pointed out quite the nostalgia trip for us oldies.

Let me try & sum up my thoughts with a couple of examples (bear with me as I am not very eloquent, as you should all know by now) of why I enjoyed this movie so much in two scenes.

Spoilers ahead :

Its most poignant moments.

1: King Jaffe Joffer (
lets have my funeral now
) just an amazing scene.

2 : When Akeem was talking to
Cleo in the restaurant & I was just thinking to myself about the Queen, then right at that very moment Cleo says what would the Queen have said,
it brought a tear to my eye.

Why because the excellent
Queen Aoleon (Madge Sinclair) passed away in 1995 and I was just so relieved she was mentioned in the movie in such a poignant scene as over the years of viewing I came to love these characters
, it was timely reminder for me that all things change.

Hence why I personally scored this movie high because it respected the original did not just repeat itself & it kept its soul and
the soul of the original movie was always the Queen.

Last edited:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
i really enjoyed it - in terms of previous characters coming back...

i was a bit disappointed not to see the soul glo king darryl maybe with Lisa still....

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
i really enjoyed it - in terms of previous characters coming back...

i was a bit disappointed not to see the soul glo king darryl maybe with Lisa still....
Do you mean with Patrice? La Salle (Darryl ) chose not to participate in Coming 2 America because of scheduling issues not sure about Allison Dean (Patrice) though.

Last edited:

rhino2k

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Cas,

This was far better than it perhaps had any right to be!

I would say a solid 7, But would understand lower scores from the younger generation who would perhaps not get the nostalgia :)

The latest video from AVForums

LG CX Best Picture Settings
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom