Comfortable, noise cancelling, around ear for under £250?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by hotchilidamo, Feb 13, 2014.

1. hotchilidamo

hotchilidamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    So I'm after my 5th set of cans in about 2 years. I just can't find any that suit my needs

Comfort is really important to me and the reason why I've ditched most of the previous ones I had. I have glasses which doesn't help, and maybe I'm just a big wuss or I have sensitive ears, because I want a pair of headphones I can use for hours on end while I'm at work that don't leave me in pain.

The only ones I've found that I can do that with are my Turtle Beach x12s for the xbox. So comfortable I don't even know they're there.

So in terms of requirement priority its:

1) comfort
    2) around ear - see 1) above
    3) audio quality - in reality if they fit the requirements above and sound rubbish then I'm not going to buy them. But I would not sacrifice comfort for quality
    4) noise cancelling. I need to shut out the noise around me while I try and concentrate at work
    5) willing to spend £250 but no more really

I popped into John Lewis yesterday and they had the Bose QC15 - which fit most of my criteria. But I felt the audio quality wasn't quite there. But would consider them if I can't find anything better

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

2. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Buying a pair of QC15s has brought me into the world of better quality headphones and portable audio. I never believed headphones could be so comfortable. If comfort is your top priority, then I don't really think you'll do any better. I use them for up to six hours a day and barely notice them (I also wear glasses).

I'd agree that the audio quality isn't quite there and is not at all comparable with 'standard' headphones at that price point. What sort of noise is around you at work? If it's an office environment you may find that noise cancelling 'phones are counter-productive. They silence all the background ambient hum but can't filter out nearby conversation, which actually becomes more distracting as a result. You may find that conventional over ears with really good isolation are a better bet.

The only recent comparators I have are the Shure SRH840 and the B&W P7s. I've recently upgraded from the former to the latter, although haven't used either very much as yet. Both have excellent isolation - no real difference there. The Shures are a bit heavier, while the B&W have a higher clamping force and are not so comfortable with glasses. They both have better SQ than the Bose, with the B&Ws quite a bit better as you would expect.

Have you had an opportunity to try the Sennheiser Momentums - they have a reputation for comfort. The Bose AE2 look very similar in construction to the QC15 so may be as comfortable although I don't know anything about their sound quality.

3. hotchilidamo

hotchilidamo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Thanks for your reply. I have since tried the momentums and really liked the sound but just in the short time I used them I could tell the comfort wouldn't be there in longer sessions. I've also tried the bose ae2i and whilst the sound is nothing amazing they are pretty good and feel amazing. So these are the front runners at the moment.

Yeah I kind of agree about noise cancelling maybe not being what I need. The ae2 do an ok job of blocking some noise so that suggests a normal closed back would work. Unless I can find an alternative, I'll go with the ae2