Comfortable + Good Sound for an Ipod

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Happytab, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    All, I need some advice - I need to replace the standard Ipod earphones with something that is more comfortable and with better sound quality.

I have read the Seinheiser CX300 are a good ear canal option but what are my alternatives ? For instance the PX100 for comparisons sake ?

They are most for use at home so I don't exclude any style (overhead, behind the neck, ear canal,anyhting).

What I want is comfort and sound quality in equal proportions.

Budget isn't huge - say £40 ?

Thanks for your help. :thumbsup:

2. Happytab

Happytab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :) Anyone - purleeeeaaaassse

3. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'll throw in the Sony MDR-XD series. The cheapest is I think £15 (typical price £10) and the most expensive is about £80 (typical price £60). They're designed for movie watching at home and have an unusual gimmick, which actually works for once. There's a 'bass valve' which flabs / increases the bass for extended 'boom' in movies. The cable is 3m for all the XD range (too long? if for home use, perhaps not) and the sound is unfatiguing and fairly well balanced overall. The phones go around the ear, all bar the cheapest have a suspension headband and are pretty comfortable... far more so in general than DJ-style articles such as the K81. They aren't closed, but they don't leak badly. The second model in the range, the XD200 is £17 from Askdirect.co.uk.

5. shadowritten

shadowritten

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point about suspension headbands from extremelydodgy. I wish all phones above a certain size had this ... sooooo much nicer to wear. Even so, the K81 isn't uncomfortable at all, and a big improvement over a handful of other supra-aurals I've owned down the years.

6. Mindsplit

Mindsplit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I never buy anything other than in-ear headphones, so i can only advise on those. The two favourites for me are

Sony EX71
    Panasonic HJE70

The Sony's are very, very comfortable, and at £35 for the white iPod ones they are good value for money. The sound is overall pretty good, but it is a bit too bassy and sounds a bit muddy, but overall a very good set of earphones for the price.

If you can go over your £40 then I strongly recommend the Panasonic HJE70. They are just as comfortable as the Sony and the sound quality is absolutely stunning, it really is. These have the sound quality I get from headphones that cost £120 - £150, they really are good. The retail price is £60.99 which is what I paid for mine but you'll find them as cheap as £52 in some stores (Wadley's in Bicester, Oxfordshire comes to mind if you are near there).

7. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've just ordered a pair of Creative EP-630 from Amazon.co.uk (£20). Many reviews say they are as good as or better than phones 2 or 3 times the money. I'm upgrading from my old EX71's, which I'm sure will bite the dust very soon. I'll give a report when they turn up if you like.

8. Slimchandi

Slimchandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Update: Very happy with these phones! Had then running for about 20 hours now, and sound much better than the EX71's. Even with the EQ tweaked in the Sony's favour, the detail is better on the Creatives and the sound is a lot more coherent. A really good value buy, save yourself the money from the Sonys and get these!