• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Comet's screen burn and dead-pixel warranty

JJTye

Just something I wanted to share with you lot. Today I purchased a TV stand from my local Comet and when he asked me what kind of TV I had, I told him I got an LCD to replace a screen-burnt plasma. I was very shocked when he told me that Comet's warranty actually covers screen burn on plasmas and duff pixels on LCDs, and that if I got my plasma from Comet in the first place, they would have replaced it after getting screen burn.

Whether or not they actually honour this warranty is another matter, but it seems very promising to get a TV from Comet if this is the case.

golden void

Are they not about 20% more expensive than anywhere else though?

Still, amazing if they do this. I wonder how long for? And I bet they make you sign a form promising all sort of "normal viewing use" conditions, no video games, or whatever. Maybe I'm just cynical.

arad85

Their T's and C's also state:
Comet breakdown T and C said:
This Policy does not cover Breakdown or Accidental Damage due to:

failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions

Given all manufacturers warn not to do things which cause screenburn, you might find they would try and wiggle out of it.

Syphonic

There is no way they would cover the screen burn issue same as for us, it's covered by the fact that it isn't seen as a fault and that if you get it, it is caused by misuse.

As far as stuck pixels go, in store we normally do exchange small TVs (<26) if people bring them in. We do point out however that we aren't obligued to, we just do it for good customer service ("In a Currys, Surely not!" I hear you cry) Don't know whether we would go it on a big tv because we've never had someone bring a large LCD back with stuck/dead pixels.

As far as stuck pixels go, in store we normally do exchange small TVs (<26) if people bring them in. We do point out however that we aren't obligued to, we just do it for good customer service ("In a Currys, Surely not!" I hear you cry) Don't know whether we would go it on a big tv because we've never had someone bring a large LCD back with stuck/dead pixels.

I did, but that was in Comet ;)

johnny-17

Comet definately sort out dead pixel issues.
I had 3 Pioneer screens replaced with pixel faults from Comet without any problem at all.(I did get confirmation form various stores and customer service that they cover dead pixels prior to purchase.)
To be honest, I made a purchase from them for this peace of mind, at what I thought was a fair price, rather than the cheapest.
Most people want a cheap deal, at any cost - go figure !
Btw Why don't we want customer service anymore ?

markrl

Peace of mind at Comet :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I think you'll find their warranty has the same fineprint get out clause as everyone else. The seductive salesmans patter on the showroom floor will tell you its all covered but when you look at the warranty T & N's its the same as everyone else. They just charge you more for the priviledge and trust your too stupid or lazy to bother with reading the small print :thumbsup:.

JJTye

Thanks to all of you for your replies.

When the salesman at Comet informed me they will replace screen-burnt plasmas under their warranty, I asked them and I quote:

Myself: "Ok. So what if I left my plasma or LCD on Sky News all day and the panel got burnt from the on-screen logos and scrolling banners? Would you replace it?"

Comet salesman: "Yes we will replace it for you"

Myself: "Wow that is amazing. Ive never heard of a store that will replace burnt plasmas!"

Comet salesman: "We've had this warranty for some time now. And we will replace LCD TVs with faulty/dead pixels"

Like I said, whether or not Comet will honour this warranty is another matter. "I hope they don't say this just to increase the sale of Plasma TVs."

badbob

Banned
Talking out of other hole. Ask for that in writing. He's just saying that to get a sale.

johnny-17

Good reply markl :smashin:
I work in retail so I check things out fully and small print or not, having dealt both with the store manager and head office, things were sorted out as promised.
Pity you can't read the Big print - 3 SCREENS REPLACED !!!!!.
I generally find it's the public that are 'too stupid' for always wanting the cheapest price which 'over a period' has now caused many a supplier to offer poor customer service.( Poor pixel policy etc )
Don't fool yourself into thinking that I was 'sold' at tv by a totally commission 'hungry' salesperson as I think that you'll find that most Pioneer customers choose to 'buy' their own stuff :thumbsup:
My main reasons for purchase were that it was in stock and any problems would get resolved.
I don't have shares in Comet and yes, I agree that the knowledge of their sales staff on the whole is not as good as it should be, but I cannot fault their customer service as far as electrical stuff goes.
I suppose there are some added advantages in most folk always wanting to pay less, in that you at least get extras 'thrown in' that others dont in the form of poor quality, problems, faults and poor service thrown in for free :D

markrl

I have Comets T&C's there is no blanket carte blanch policy on replacing screens with dead pixels, and screen burn is definitely not covered. As for stuck/dead pixels or cells it depends on how many and where on the screen. It was clearly good service that they replaced 3 screens under warranty but it's a fair bet it was Pioneer who picked up the tab (and quite rightly so). If the salesmen are telling their punters dead pixels and screenburn are covered 100% they are being dishonest but given the fact that many retailers are likely to be fighting for thier lives over the coming months as the recession hits is it that surprising?

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom