1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anuvid, Nov 16, 2004.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have to buy a plasma from Comet. Got some Comet vouchers in a warranty settlement. Anyone got any clues as to the best I can get from there ? 40 inches or so is fine.

2. kevducky

kevducky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't pay the display price. They reduced the Viera from £2999 to £2349 for me. Still couldn't compete but just shows the margins they are on

3. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Best overall? Best value?

Check their website. They have a decent price for the LG RZ42PX11 - £1600. If you have to go through the stores, make sure you get it for that price.

Otherwise, you can look at the Hitachi 42PD5200 (£2240), or the Panasonic TH42PE30 (£2615)

The Pioneer is also good, but they want £3300 for it.

They would be the leading contenders, depending on what you can afford / are after.

4. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    they do a nice sagem 50" RPTV

5. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What value are the vouchers?

6. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your input. The vouchers are £ 1138 worth. Comet offered me a 42inch Philips with 'built in ' wall mount. But I've found it for under £ 1700 elsewhere. Anyone know what these sets are like, and if Comet do price matching ? Also a bit concerned about whether I should wait until January sales.

7. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not rally interested in an RP as that's what I'm moving from. Anyone interested in a Tosh RP let me know :)

8. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I would never shop at my local comet after the poor service i got from them,they wouldnt reduce the viera for me and that was at the £3699 price, wouldnt price match there website price either ,i manged to get it for £2489 WITH STAND dvd recorder and 5 year warrranty thanks to this forum.
    But if you have to buy from thanks to vouchers then try to ebay them and buy elsewhere.

9. Todda

Todda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you have to buy from comet then it may be worth waiting until the sales

10. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    just had a look on ebay ,definatly sell them there if i were you ,or if u need a new washing machine cooker fridge etc ,buy them instead ,but would not buy a plasma from them ever again

11. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again everyone. Have posted them on eBay with a start price of £ 950. You think that's too much ? It's still a saving surely ?

So which plasma ? I want 40 or more inches, high res - none of this 800x 500 stuff, HDMi or DVI inputs, and a tiliting wall mount. My friend's fourth generation Panasonic has an awesome picture.

Now undoubtedly you guys know reasons why the features I just mentioned are unimportant :)

12. brackenlamb

brackenlamb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My personal choice is the panasonic viera,or any panasonic plasma to be honest.

well done with putting the vouchers on ebay ,if they dont sell all at once ,put them on individually.
    I too had a rear projection toshiba 42 inch then a 50 inch the panny is lots better but my first plasma from comet,a thomson was a real let down ,would rtather have had rear pro then thomson.

good luck

13. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To be honest though the Vierra looks stunning I've read mixed reviews. Colour/contrast and sound have taken some criticism against competitors. But Panny's plain plasmas without built in speakers have some great reviews. I'd stick with the rear projection.It's fabulous. But my 5 month old will soon be tring to shove toast in video recorders an tugging at cables so everything is wall bound.

14. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My vouchers are on the Bay. 8 people watching. No bids yet !