Comet write off RE Lamp Unit

remlap

Established Member
Reaction score
RE Below I posted in another thread but I do not want to hijack that persons thread any more.

So we have an engineer coming out on Tuesday, recently the warning light has started flashing to signal the lamp is coming to the end of its usage life.

On the notes to the engineer when we phoned, we have asked the phone operator to list both model numbers listed in the back section of the manual they are:

RL1280A and SAGEM 251614834.

Now I assume if they arrive with just a new lamp and not the full unit, they have to replace the currently blown fuse for a new one to reset the timing counter on the TV set, just to spoof the set into thinking its a new full unit.

I'm not very technically minded in this, but I am at home Tuesday and dont want the guy pulling the wool over my eyes.

After various call outs, Comet service engineer was supplied with the wrong lamp unit, he then refused to fit it because it not a direct replacement.

Now after further phone calls with Comet and Domestic and General we are about to be offered a new Television, because Comet is unable to source a direct replacement even though they are easily found on-line through a Google search.

What suppliers do Domestic and General use for the replacement Televisions and is there any likely model it will be, because we have not been given this at the moment.

What would to do people here suggest would be a suitable replacement for the TV:

Sagem HDD50HG4T

Any suggestion for a close replacement in terms of specification in terms of resolution, contrast and viewing angle Plasma, LCD or Rear Projection.

Thank you for replies.

Hi,

If you have a D&G warranty bought through Comet (normally after 1 year) then the replacement will come from Comet or they may just give you a voucher card. Normally with these when I used to work there for my sins there was a corporate number we had to ring which was D&G kinked into Comet's stock system.

D&G I believe do use other people (a lot of Euronics and independents sell their warranties) but many of the UK insurers have deals with Comet as they get the sets at not much over cost as Comet gain from the extra sales volume.

As to a replacement set Comet normally suggest to D&G the appropriate model, but the only rear projector they now do is the old 50" Sony according to their site so they'll either offer you something 46" or 50" plasma/lcd wise if any, but I would advise asking for a voucher (or cash, but I doubt your chances). Sometimes they just offer vouchers or upto an amount to spent through Comet.

Hope that helps and hope you've been offered something by now.

Andy

I feel like I'm posting the same things in various threads about this tv. Anyway, I'd be interested to know how things have gone for you as I've a 5 year warranty with Comet and my sets just said goodnight for the last time too.

Cheers :)

I've an engineer coming next thurs

Comet got hold of a new lamp ok for us.

We got a new TV, and the warranty was voided, luckily we only paid for a year.

Wasnt hard to find a replacement lamp :rotfl:

Result :thumbsup: What TV did you get offered?

Result :thumbsup: What TV did you get offered?

We was offered a crappy 50" Hitachi Plasma, yuck from Comet, but we found a better set smaller at the same cost.

Toshiba 42X3030D :)

This was after about a month of problems.

We was offered a crappy 50" Hitachi Plasma, yuck from Comet, but we found a better set smaller at the same cost.

Toshiba 42X3030D :)

Nice set

This was after about a month of problems.

Let's hope I don't have the same issues, if they change the lamp unit I'll be happ y:)

After looking at the option of a replacement from Comet a while back I just couldn't see anything in the price range for the same picture quality and size.
Luckily the set was repaired in the end which didn't involve replacing the bulb.
When the time did come for a new bulb I sourced and replaced it myself.
Despite the sets well documented problems when it works it's a brilliant picture, I just can't see me replacing it with anything on the market for around £1000 at the moment or in the not too distant future.
:)

Engineer came today and he had the wrong head unit but correct bulb. I asked him to fit the bulb in and it works a treat now. Going to get a few of those fuse to reset the timer unless there's another way to do it. The Sagem lives on :D

Engineer came today and he had the wrong head unit but correct bulb. I asked him to fit the bulb in and it works a treat now. Going to get a few of those fuse to reset the timer unless there's another way to do it. The Sagem lives on :D

BE AWARE:

Read the lamp yourself, and compare it with the lamp that was taken out.

If you do no have the original lamp this is the correct model:

OSRAM P-VIP 100-120/1.3 E23h

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom