1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet returns policy without box?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by voxel, Sep 29, 2005.

1. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stupid question maybe but I may want to return my DLP back to comet after less than a week but I've thrown the box already.

Do they have an issue with this? I've never returned anything this large before!

2. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would have thought that the item would have to be complete and in as-new condition and that would mean with a box...you would have to have a very good reason for them to take it back without the box I think.

Does it have a fault or you just changed your mind ?

Cheers, Lee

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The following is taken from their returns policy outlined on the website:

"If you bought a product, or received it as a gift, and decide that you do not require it you can return it to any Comet store within 28 days of delivery for a full refund, as long as the packaging is unopened."

or for purchases via their website:

"If you bought your product online or by telephone, and are not completely satisfied with your purchase you can return it to us for a full refund as long as you tell us that you want to return it within seven days of the product being delivered. The product may be returned to any of the Comet stores throughout the country for a full refund. This does not apply to products purchased from a Comet store."

4. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The rainbow effect is KILLING me. I put loads of my DVD's on the set after having it without problem and then I watched (or tried to watch) Sin City a few nights ago. The rainbow effect was awful... and ever since I can see it in almost everything I watch.

I am absolutely gutted... plus headaches galore.

I don't know what to do now as I've ditched the box as I said. A mate of mine reckons that when Currys delivered electrical goods at his house they unboxed it and took the boxes away. I may try it on with Comet and say that their delivery guys did the same in my case. Does anyone know if this is definetely NOT their policy?

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    There's a thread on this elsewhere. Myself and two mates watched Sin City last week with no rainbow problems. Other users have reported no issues.

I notice you've only had the set for a few days. Most of us on here have had our sets quite a while, and these screens do perform much better after a 100 hour or so burn in period. Many have reported great diminishing or complete disappearance of rainbows after a running in period.

Also have you toned down the picture settings from the factory pre-sets? Some of these are at silly levels, particularly contrast, and reducing these to a realistic level can go some way to curing the rainbow effect.

You could however just be unlucky and be unusually susceptible.

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    You need to call comet and explain that the set makes you feel physicaly ill, ask what there policy is on it and take it from there.
    They may be fine, but I doubt it, you may have to buy new packaging from manufacturer of the set, it won't be cheap but if you can't use it better to pay and start again and think of it as a lesson learned.

I bought a BenQ 8700 projector last year and although it didn't make me feel sick and I could not see rainbows it gave me a headache and eye strain, I didn't even realise until it went and I got a plasma, I thought I needed to get my eyes tested at the time, as soon it went though my headaches stopped.

7. damned

damned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    If you bought from Comet's website, rather than through a store, under distance selling regulations you can return any opened product within seven days for a refund.

8. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Even without the packaging :confused:

Cheers, Lee

9. voxel

voxel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys, looks like I'll have to bite the proverbial.

One good thing to come out of it though. I paid 1699 for it a just over a week ago and yesterday when I went into the store to report my issues with the set it had droppped to 1499. I mentioned that I was aggrevied and they gave me back the 200 quid plus 10% of the difference on a comet store card. Apparently it's policy to do so within 14 days of purchase (I think they said 14, maybe it was 28?).

I looked at my mates 50" Sagem today - I noticed the rainbow effect only on the THX config disk where the white circle is in the middle of the black screen but only very slightly. His contrast and brightness settings were different to mine so I'm going to try adjusting them tonight.

10. Starfleet

Starfleet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    where do i find a THX config disk? please help

11. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    There isn't a THX disc as such it's usually included as part of a number of DVD studion releases. If you have any Star Wars DVDs it will be included in there. You can however get hold of a copy of Digital Video Essentials (DVE) which can used to configure you're setup. This is a lot more comprehensive but still fairly straightforward to use.

Don't forget using a DVDs included THX utilities will only configure you're settings for that particular DVD movie, it's basically the settings that the studio would want to use to optimse your enjoyment of that particular film. Using the DVE disc will setup your TV settings as a whole.