1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet returns help needed asap

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by drphibes, Dec 30, 2002.

1. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi

I am having major problems with Comet at the moment with my thomson tv.
    I have allready submitted a thread on these boards stating that my set is suffering from colour staining and also a strange ripple effect on the picture that moves horizontally from the bottom of the screen mainly effecting the right hand side of the screen.

I have owned the set for over 28 days but did call a comet engineer to view the set within the first 7 days of owning the set but he stated that the problems i was observing where normal.
    After reading reports on this site I came to the conclusion that he was fobbing me off so I called comet again and grudgingly they sent out another fella this morning.

The latest engineer accepts that the staining is a problem but rejected my complaint over the ripple effect stating it was normal!!!.

I have had the set since 24th nov and would like to know where I stand regarding a exchange or refund as I have told them there is no way I am having a 5 week old set repaired.

Thanks

Drphibes

2. ryanos

ryanos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I had terrible trouble with comet the only time they shifted there ar*e was when i wrote to them and threatened legal etc. Try that approach and also give trading standards a shout as you are 100% within your rights to demand a replacement especailly as the engineer has now acknowledged your problem.

3. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just returned my Panny 28TXPL1 to Comet (within 28 days) after first engineer said it was within tolerances, but after talking to the store they sent another engineer out and he 'reluctantly' agreed to mark it as faulty, after we mentioned ringing the store manager, Panasonic, credit card company etc.

I would say that as the fault has been reported within the 28 days and Comet have agreed to the fault, you should be able to get a refund. Contact local Trading Standards if you have a problem, if they are anything like our local people, you should get a good responce (I got them involved in a 'shoddy' decorator affair, nothing to to with Comet). Also ring your credit card company - they usually deny all liability - but if pressed will help - legally they are jointly liable for the goods along with the retailer.

To be fair to Comet, other than an engineer who hadn't a clue how to operate my set and was very condecending, they have been pretty good about the whole affair.

4. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Latest update on this case.

As i stated the second visit from the engineer resulted in him admitting that a fault did indeed exist with the thomson but all he would offer was a booking with the tv repair centre.

I spoke to the local trading standards office and they where sympathetic to my story and advised me that I did indeed have a good case for either a refund or a swap on the tv.
    The lady advised me to put my story in writing to comet head office which I fully intended to do but I thought that one final call to comet might sway things in my favour.

The woman at comet was quite helpfull so all credit to her and she said that she would try her best to put my case to the comet service department.
    I did thank her for this but did throw into the ring the fact that I had spoken to trading standards and did indeed plan to take it as far as needed to get the set replaced.

4.20pm this afternoon and the comet service centre phoned to say they would swap to tv for me:) .

Maybe the reference to trading standards did me a big favour ?.

Thanks to those who offered advice.

My next big problem is should I take the same thomson tv and try again or maybe choose something different.
    I have read on these forums that the thomson tubes can suffer from the colour stain that my present set has.
    Any advice would be welcome on this subject.

Thanks

Drphibes