1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet Monster Cable Con...

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by JiMbOb_74, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JiMbOb_74

JiMbOb_74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody elso noticed in their local comet that they have two 14" portable tv's connected to a single dvd player for a demonstration of the difference between a standard scart lead and a monster one?

They have the cables on show so their is no misunderstanding of which goes to what screen...

Guess what they have done to the settings on the tv's!

The one with the 'poor' quality cable has had its colour turned down with the brightness turned up (so its a grey colour) and the contrast is also down..(the pic looks like a techwood plasma!) where the cable with the monster scart has its settings just right....

How many people who buy from comet would be conned by this sort of behaviour? I have when I been into the shop put the settings the same and on a 14" portable is No noticable difference in picture quality.

Granted I have monster cable THX component cables on my plasma and they have made a big difference but is their any need to go to these lengths to sell a product of this quality.

The store in question is the CHESTER branch on sealand road if anybodys interested...

...maybee trading standards should be alerted to such practices... :smashin:

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It has been seen in other Comet stores too. They go further than adjusting the TV's - some displays are even wired to inferior sources. My friend (who is a broadcast TV engineer for a national channel) challenged them to switch the cables between sources, but they refused. He said he couldn't be bothered to report them to Trading Standards, but I agree, someone should.

However, I should also add that I think that the whole interconnect industry is riddled with con-artists, and some people are very easily parted from their money.

3. David_of_Surrey

David_of_Surrey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    ...and whats more they dont seem to stock cheap cables anymore, I feel sorry for someone not so well off who struggles to get a cheap home cinema and then finds that only cable kit is £90 (I guess they assume that this must be the going rate)

4. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I think the whole Monster range of cables are extrremely expensive and Comet have buyers in a corner when they are spending money on equipment. I bet they get a lot of commission when they sell some poor soul those cables.

That is where Argos comes in. Their £12.99 Hitachi cables are perfectly ok for small TV's and give a big increase in quality to the cheap nast cables.

5. cybersoga

cybersoga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Comet are charging almost twice what the monster cables are worth IMHO, and with tactics like that they are just being greedy. Their sales people will tell you almost anything to try to persuade you buy something, especially when it comes to insurance.

6. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been trying out monster cables to see how good they actually are, In general with the exception of the scart I found them to be the same value for money as equivelant priced VanDenHul, QED and Ixos. I was suprised to find this so my eyes are open. Comet may do, but I don't get comission for selling them. I can't believe anyone would buy from a shop who would refuse to demonstrate a cable (or in fact anything) properly! I would expect you to want to find where your money was going and in fact would normally allow the chance to return if not happy!

7. madasahat

madasahat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    been to comet today a obnoxios sailsman tryed to advise me that a £90 1m monster scart lead was not overpriced and when i picked up a £24 lead he said you dont want that its rubbish. i said i can buy better leads online at a lower price than £90 at this he got all upity and said go buy them then and walked off in a huff now thats what i call good customer servis "not" :mad: :mad: :mad:

8. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Good job you didn't buy it - he probably would have tried to sell you a 5 year extended warranty on it too :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

9. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    I am sure all the sales people are just interested on how much commision they get on a £90 cable.

I was actually offered a 5 year warranty of £20 on a £10 optical cable once.

10. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    My first cheap dvd player was a £50 proline from comet.I got the usual "would you like a 3 year extended with that sir?" My reply was, for what you are trying to charge it can break three times and be replaced with a new one for that price.Then getting quite annoyed at this point,tried to sell me a £70 scart.I mean come on ,£50 on a player £70 for a scart.I suppose there must be plums out there who fall for it but they are usually locked up shortly afterwards.

11. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I get my SCART cables from ASDA, 99p each and as good as any on sale.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199

pj. you seem quite up on cables. I know you say that more expensive ones are a waste of time, are you saying that a 99p scart from asda is fully wired with all 21pins conected? I have seen some cheap scarts but the leads are a lot thinner than some of the more expensive ones. Are you saying that this makes no difference at all to picture quality?
    I personaly would not spend £90 on a scart cable, but there surly must be some difference in picture quality between a 99p one from asda and a qed, ixos, jvc, or monster cable.

13. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's digital cable that I don't understand...

Analogue I understand as a cable will always degrade the signal. I believe decent are worth paying out for

With digital though, surely the info is 1 or 0, as long as you can tell 1 from 0 then what difference does the cable make? Do they say that a cheap cable introduces errors or something?....I'm not an expert (As I'm sure somebody will soon prove!)

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    David
    No diff. at all, AS LONG AS you are only running the signal in 1 direction.
    The thinner SCART cables are fully wired but make no effort at screening.
    RGB + composite running in 1 direction do not interfere with each other as all the wires are carrying pretty much the same signal. Think about what the wires could be carrying! peak white = max R + max G + max B these signals cannot crosstalk as they are all the same. Black = 0 reg + 0 green + 0 blue again no crosstalk poss. Worst case, Max R + 0 G + 0 B (red colour), crosstalk in this situation will only desaturate the red very slightly so no problems. The composite wire can have no real effect as the biggest diff. will be when the syncs occure, but no RGB at that time so no problem.

Your only crosstalk problem is it you have a device trying to send a diff. signal back down the composite loop back wire. If not sure cut pin 19 from 1 end of SCART and pin 20 from other end of SCART to make a 1 way only scart lead.

Sanguin
    There is no diff., some peeps talk about "jitter", total garbage. The cable works perfectly, or it doesn't work at all. 50 ohm cable works just as well as 75 ohm cable for digital interconnects, 99p TOSlink cables are just as effective as £50 TOSlink cables.

Everyone has their right to an opinion, everyone knew the world was flat at one point in time. That was their opinion, it didn't make them right!

15. PhilipH

PhilipH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone else remember the "Dolby Labs Certified Coathanger Digital interconnect"? I wish for the hell of me I could find the URL again but it went along the lines of this...

"Being annoyed by the cr*p that is spouted to support the ridiculous cost of digital interconnect cables I managed to borrow a professional dolby digital decoder from a local cinema. The purpose of this being that it has - as one of its functions - the ability to produce a bit error report (recoverable and unrecoverable) for a given source. I took the cheapest freebie stereo audio lead I could find, hooked it up between a Sony 7700 DVD player and the decoder and sat back to watch a movie. At the end of the movie I checked the decoder and it showed 0 bit errors. Then I cut the cable in half, soldered the two halves to opposite ends of a wire coathanger that I had unbent and tried the same experiment - result - 0 errors again."

(I paraphrase)

But that was one of the best laughs I ever had! The guy then went on to say that because he could *CERTIFY* that it was error free (the decoder would do a print of its data logged) then he would sell the cable for $1,000 if anyone was daft enough to want it.

Edited to add...

FOUND IT!

Well, the original URL has long gone but I found a couple of copies of it. Try:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?postid=1743236

or

http://web.archive.org/web/20010419223607/http://www.magnani.net/~al/DigitalWireLabTest.html

Phil

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Jitter, timing errors etc etc. Digital audio and analogue video signals are actually more sensitive than analogue audio and require a 75ohm cable with good shielding:)

17. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, but can you hear the errors or only when there are enough of them? Are you saying that the more errors the worse it gets and there is some subjective "tolerance" like with analogue cables?

(I'm not arguing, I'm just trying to understand...)

18. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    The whole point about digital systems is that they include error correction. Without error correction, DVD's and CD's would not play, and Freeview and Sky would stop working. Even the hard disk on your computer. Without error detection and correction, PC's themselves would stop functioning. The "Signal Quality" on Sky and Freeview boxes is a report on the number of errors being received, and the error rate can be pretty high before there's any noticeable effect.

19. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    OK, so a good cable reduces the errors which I guess improves processing efficiency and potentially throughput (data transfer rate). Does it make the watching/listening experience any better?

I often see "top quality" midi cables advertised. I don't know what the bandwidth of a midi cable is but it's only digital info over a DIN cable so what's the difference between a good or bad one?

20. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    The less errors the better :thumbsup: Which is why hifi manufacturers try to make the digital output as stable as possible.

21. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Errors are only a problem if they arrive faster than the processor's ability to correct them, or if the bitstream is so badly corrupted that correction becomes impossible.

22. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So, does a top quality digital cable actually sound better or does it just make the oprocessor work less hard (does that free up processing capacity to do anything else)

As a paradox, are we saying that expensive systems can cope with errors better and therefore don't benefit from an expensive cable as much as a cheaper system...there's a thought!

23. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    "A fire will always burn better if you give it a more flammable fuel"

24. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If you look in this forum you will see a complete thread detailing the alleged pro's and cons of optical and co-axial digital connections, and I don't think there is any point in going through the whole thing again.

My final word on the subject is this : Some people judge the quality of their hi-fi systems with their ears, and some with techno-babble that they have read in a magazine somewhere. The former tend to have more cash to spend on music, because they are not giving their money to people selling "quack" remedies for problems that they didn't even know they had.

25. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That statement could be taken as quite insulting to a great many people :nono:

26. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I suspect all the people who knew the world was flat, died believing it.
    You cannot convince the delusional (or stupid) person thay are wrong,
    so there is very little point in trying. Let them go the way of the dinosaurs in peace.

27. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perception of sound is subjective open your ears and see if YOU can hear a diference, most dealers will do a home demo on a cable for you to try at home.
    There are differences in opinion on this subject and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
    I believe that cables make a difference, i don't care if i'm wrong.
    The majority of the population believed the world was flat, to accuse these people of being stupid is ridiculous! They were told by people they trusted that this was true and they had no need to dispute it. As I understand it the belief in cables being able to improve sound will not make you extinct. This whole argument is based on proof, I can't prove something sounds better to me but nobody can prove that something doesn't sound better to ME.

28. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You can prove that something measures better though :)

29. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    The flat earth view is interesting. All the scientific evidence indicated the world was flat. It took several huge shifts in perspective to adjust to the 'new world view'.

30. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Yes, but you don't use measuring devices to listen to your hi-fi - you use your ears. I could measure the power output to your front speakers from your amp, and one speaker could be 1.0dB higher than the other. Would you be able to hear a difference ? Of course not.

Sure, you might be able to prove that by using a £5 a metre speaker cable, the loss at 18kHz is 0.5dB better compared to 5A twin flex from B & Q, but the truth of the matter is that if you're over 35 your ears will be about 2dB down at 18kHz, and if you're over 45, you probably won't be able to hear 18kHz at all :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.