1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet Home Delivery/returns

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by anuvid, May 31, 2005.

1. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bit worried. Ordered an LG plasma from Comet. When I got it running wasn't happy with it. Arranged a return. They collected. got a refund cheque from Head Office. Now they're phoning saying they want to collect and I'm telling them they've collected but they say they have no record of a collection. Is this my problem or theirs?

2. Member 55145

Member 55145
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,489
    put the cheque in, if it clears its their problem, if it doesnt its yours :smashin:

3. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. the cheque is in and has cleared. But they're still phoning to say they want to collect.

4. Scoob

Scoob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Tell them they can't collect unless you get a cheque. That'll confuse them :)

5. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But what's the legal position ? The cheque has cleared, the Tv was collected. If they have no record of it will they pursue it ?

6. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Did you not get a return receipt when they picked it up.Have you used your email to verify collection (time or arrangements) that you can print out.Also telephone statements to prove you have been in contact with comet prior to collection.
    Cheers Gonzo.

7. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

Talk to your bank they should be able to provide you with the details of the account the cheque was cleared from ie Comets account.

If they can, go back to comet with the details of the cheque (ie cheque number ) and any details your back can provide and let them go and check their records they should be able to find it then!

At the end of the day you can prove that they paid you a cheque (Have you still got the letter that would have been attached?) so you should not have anything to worry about.

Cheers

Nick
    (Please note though that I am not a lawyer)

8. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to bang on about it but yes I have the letter that came with the cheque. yes my bank could provide detaisl of the cheque. But Comet are claiming the refund was sent in advance of collection, and now have no record of the collection having happened.

9. Kryters74

Kryters74

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I would call Comet again and ask to speak to a manager and explain everything to them, provide all the information you have.

Give the date and time detials of when it was collected as the courier company would have a log of this and the driver should a job sheet for the day which would show your address etc!(if you know who they are contact them yourself and get this info).

I don't think you have to much to worry about as this is comets record keeping that is at fault.

10. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221

Its usually comet themselves who collect it and when they collected mine, they left a copy of the collections note with me - good job really as i was not letting the set out of the house without a receipt.

cmt

11. ukdan

ukdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Keep that collections note! If you have any problems in the future then show them it. dont let them have the original though.

12. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately didn't kep the collections note once the refund was processed. So now it's my word versus theirs, and I'm not entirely sure what the outcome will be.

13. phillem

phillem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was a delivery driver for comet, if it was comets own drivers that collected from you, the local delivery depot will have a daily delivery sheet with your signature on it. The unit in question is probably somewhere in the depot (they are not the best organised places in the world)

14. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phillem. That's the problem. They say they have no record of collecting it. They also said there aare several departments who may have collected it but they can find no record. So I'm left with a refund which I've had, them claiming they haven't collected, and the dirver who came to collect last week when no one was in left a 'sorry we couldn't deliver' card instead of a sorry we couldn't collect one. All very confusing. I've got my refund and no plasma, but I doubt they'll let it lie there. Probably lots of shenanigans ahead.

15. phillem

phillem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless things have changed in the 2 years since I left, they only have "sorry we could not deliver" cards.
    As far as you stand with this situation, I think it will be up to them to prove that you still have the goods.

16. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anuvid, do you mind me being a tad nosy and asking what LG model you ordered and why you weren't happy with it?

17. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi of course not. That what's forums are for. It was the 42pyx11. It was fine as plasma's go, and at the time I couldn't see any reason to spend £ 500 more on a standard definition Panasonic or Sony. It's far better than the other sub £ 1500 ones , such as the Philips. To be honest my main reason for returning it was that I'm pinning hopes on the new Samsung Hi Definition for £ 1600. The nearest equivalent in other makes is £ 2,500. But the LG I had, couldn't really fault it as plasma's go. ALso wanted to buy from John Lewis and get 5 years of warranty instead of the eatr £ 400 odd Comet wanted.

18. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Phillem I hope you're right about Comet having to prove I have it. I'll be very annoyed if they keep harassing me. Just don't want what' s alcerical error turning into some innocent delivery driver getting the finger pointed at him!

19. phillem

phillem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anuvid, I don't want to tar all comets drivers with the same brush, but I do know for a fact that some are not the most honest people you will meet. So I wouldn't worry about the driver if I was in your shoes.

20. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what you're saying Phillem. Nope they rang again today and said they have no record at any depot of someone coming to collect from my house.

21. phillem

phillem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd put money on it that if someone who was having a delivery on the same van as you rang saying they hadn't got their delivery they would soon find the delivery sheets.
    Best wishes.

22. anuvid

anuvid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Phillem. I know what you're saying. Now bought another LG as I got sick of waiting for the Samsung. Knowing my luck the driver will come back to collect and see it and think I'm having them over. Won't be a problem - the serial number and JOhn Lewis receipts should cover me !

23. Clabs

Clabs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Lets see - we haven't received the goods back but as we are soooo kind and efficient, we have sent you a refund anyway - yeah right. Unusual one though and I don't envy you in sorting it out. I guess the morale of the story is to choose your retailer with care.

Good luck, Clabs

24. simon33

simon33

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anuvid, did you buy a different LG model or did you buy the px11 again?

25. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I would write to them and say that since the TV has been collected and you are in receipt of the cheque, as far as you are concerned, the matter is resolved. Go on to say that they are free to take the matter up with the police if they see fit, but you will make sure that Comet get the bad publicity and you will sue them for defamation of character when it turns out that the mistake was theirs, as it inevitably will.

26. kevinmcn

kevinmcn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I hope I don't have the same problem when they pick up my screen. I got my PE50 today but the screen was smashed. They say they will pick it up and exchange it on sunday. Anymore screw ups and I'm having my my money back and comet wont get hold of my cash again.