1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

comet does it again

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by redrosie, Sep 1, 2005.

1. redrosie

redrosie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let u know I bought sagem 45dlp from comet today [hurraaaay] but no thanks to comet!! the service was appalling, it took over 1 hr&1/2 i walked out and they even came to my car to get me back in. if I wasn't so determined to buy, check this for a short version.

[*]you can't use your vouchers as a deposit
    [*]we need to charge you £50 per month
    [*]sorry sir but your cinema system has no instructions with it.
    [*]sorry sir your cinema system now has no box with it.
    [*]sorry sir your cinema system now has no wires with it.
    [*]sorry sir your cinema system now has no remote control with it.

Anyway, the are delivering & installing my sagen 45dlp & cinema system on the 10th Sept, any tips.

2. JayList

JayList

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Despite there adverts theres salespeople don't know much. Never had any good service in any of the chain shops.

Was in a Panasonic Shop the other week. Asked them if they sold DVI or hdmi cables. They'd never heard of DVI and told me the standard wasn't out yet. I didnt' bother mentioning to them Panasonics new range of Hifdef Viera screens then. They obviously get hi def via scart.. :lesson: :rotfl:

3. kourosh

kourosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +907
    the only tip i can give you is dont buy from comet :eek: :rotfl: ;)

4. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you live near Brands Hatch, Kent and I have no luck returning mine you be able to get a bargain.

I picked up mine last night from Comet and I have found I'm one of those people who see rainbows all the time. My wife is fine and loves the set but I can't bear it. Picture is fantastic and the PC looks great on it too.

Paul

6. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Comet mail order was terrible when I used it for first time today. Im disabled and get out if Im lucky 6times a year so use mail order a lot. I checked the TVs in Currys last month (DLP and Plasma) after reading AV forums for a couple of months everyday but only the sagem 45 was up to HD (I was after the samsung 50 7xx in the end). I dont buy anything from currys as I worked at dixons years ago so know how bad there repairs are with evil mastercare so it was just for testing purposes (the staff where lovely in there tho!) but I was too tired to go over the road to comet after it.

I sent a couple of emails to a few internet sites (Robertons was one John Lewis another) but never got a reply back today from these so I tried Comet mail order. I was told there 3yrs covers bulbs (I said I wanted this in writing tho with the purchase and she agreed) and if I order and get rainbow effects they will take the machines back no problem which is what Im worried about.

As Ive read a lot about the Samsungs I said that sounds great I will go for the Samsung - SP46L6HX if u can price match Robertsons or just chuck in extra warrenty for your online price (I know how warrenties work as staff get commisions on them so they can be flexible). I told the lady it wasnt credit card etc.. it was debit so no surcharges etc.. or finance agreement but she wouldnt budge one bit. I was even told that they only will match John Lewis and Curry and not any other "internet only" sites. I did explain to her how many stores Robertsons had but she wasnt intrested. So I then said well John Lewis give a 5yr warrenty on there products so will u do that instead then and I was just given a standard response that there warrenties are different so they wont do this with there excellent accident cover etc. (thats what home insurance is for!). I was even told that there stores can be flexible but they cant be (something John lewis did to me on internet last month when I tried to get a samsung 7 50" model price matched but I just arent well enough to travel 70odd miles to there nearest store!). I ended up saying oh well its your loss and put the phone down! Found it very strange when Ive been to comet stores in years past and theyve shoved 3yr warrenties down my neck for free but when I try via mail order with lower overheads there less flexible, well non flexible.

Unfortunetly it looks like Im going to have to half kill myself to again on Monday now to Comet 23miles away amd hope they have a descent HD setup in store, luckily tho Makro is next door and since I now employ 2carers Ive found out Im entitled to a card. Either that or I will try Robertsons again when I get back home on monday as my first purchase from them (are they any good?). I would try Costco as well from what Ive heard on here but thats 50 odd miles away so yet again out of my travelling range.

7. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear about the problems you are having. Have you considered trying Empire Direct ? : http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/. I haven't used them myself, but by all accounts they aren't too bad.

I can see how you're trying to work the figures, but I don't think you'll get any joy with any of the big retailers that way - now if you went to an independant then they might be able to cut a deal, but then again you wouldn't necessarily get the cheap price in the first place. Are there any local dealers that may be able to help?

Cash just has no bargaining power these days strange as it seems, although the company's do get charged something like 2.5% on most credit cards (more on Amex) their corporate policies mean that they do not take this into account if you choose to use something which isn't.

Bartering in general with online brokers isn't going to work as they usually don't employ salespeople as such, and therefore don't have sales targets, so it's not like you can haggle them down at the end of a bad month to boost their figures.

Anyhow good luck with your search - It sure is hard to give people money these days ain't it :D Oh, and welcome to the forums

8. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    hehe thanks for the welcome. Yea Ive thought this evening Id be better off chucking the money onto my credit card and buying that way instore as Im covered for all eventualities with the card then!

I live in a small market town and all the independants shut down a long time ago. There is a currys here....but I wont go into that hehe

Ive heard of Emipre as well as Robertsons but Im a bit worried of both as its the usual 1st time buy from someone worries.

Yea I can understand the one internet site not matching another but I know there warrenties are given away easily so I thought it was a bit nuts that she wouldnt even knock me 1p off the deal let alone anything (I forgot I asked for a Samsung pro scan dvd player as well the 850). I mean any high street dealer will chuck u at least something in whether its a nice pack of scart leads or a few blank tapes :rotfl:
    As u say tho its hard to part with the money sometimes as staff dont want to know!

9. Chumpy

Chumpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Dazzyman

I had another thought whilst I was out today - what about department stores, like JL or House of Fraser which offer an introductory 10% off your first purchase or similar if you sign up to their store card? If you have the cash - take the card, buy the TV, cut the card up whilst your in the shop, and pay it off at the end of the month? I know several people who have done this in the past with no problems.

Anyhow I was doing my usual saturday trawl through the shops and look at the Samsung SP50 again, and noticed that it was connected to a samsung DVD player - using component and a half decent lead (well Monster anyway) not bad I thought, then I looked a little closer and saw it was one of the Sammy players with HDMI. Way to go with showing off the TV at it's best Comet :rotfl: Incidentally there were half a dozen plasmas opposite running a HD feed using a 6 way HDMI splitter.

10. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    JL is miles away from me m8. I tried them via mail order ie internet and they just didnt want to know with price matching, said there stores will do it but they cant and its too far.
    I ended up going to look at them all on Friday in nearest city but Ive decided to wait till HD stuff settles down a bit as half of the stuff in HD gave me headache and I could see dreaded rainbows on the 2 I was after......oh well