1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet dissatisfaction

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Cover'd, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Cover'd

Cover'd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, hello everyone at this Forum - only just registered, but I've read many posts over the last few weeks and seems like a useful community indeed!

Secondly, well I had hoped to be offering up a rather excited and full of praise topic today... but...

I ordered a Panny TH37 between Xmas & New Year - had a busy December & decided to spoil myself. I placed the order with Comet (no special reason - they were just there and so was I!) Price £2000 inc cabinet stand & delivery seemed comparable to other offers

It was suggested on the previous day that I could expect delivery on 3rd Jan 05, but upon going back to seal the deal, that date had been stretched to 11th Jan 05. Ah well, plenty to do during that period, so it was no big issue

Today came around quite quickly (considering I'm possibly the worst at waiting for new gear!), an AM delivery was promised (between 8:30am & 1pm) so I set about rearranging my lounge & disconnecting existing TV, Sky, Dvd & Surround kit both in preparation and to fill the wait. 2:45pm and I thought it perhaps prudent to call Comet to check ETA

The response... "Sorry sir, we haven't got any". "We tried to call you a couple of times this morning" (I was working on the internet) "You'll have to call the store to check availability"

I don't think I can start to describe the rage & bewilderment! How the f..k? What the..? How can they suddenly decide or discover on the day its due for delivery that they don't actually have any?

"We did try to call" Er, excuse me for working at the time, but to be honest, I was more expecting a knock on the front door at any moment rather than someone trying to phone to say they're not coming because they haven't got any! I wouldn't have been too chuffed at hearing that at any point, let alone at the very time it's meant to be sat in my house!

Now, is it just me, or am I entitled to be thoroughly p....d off with that kind of service? I went after them of course. "Sorry sir, I'll personally do my best to get stock as soon as I can, but if I can't get one in three and half weeks, I doubt I'll ever be able to" Again I'm flabbergasted

"Of course I understand that your opinion of Comet may be less than great right now, and if you want a full refund then no problem" You're damned right it's no problem, but I haven't sat waiting for a fortnight to be back at square one eh?!?!

I dunno, sorry this has gone on, but it's helping to blow off steam. What are your thoughts people? Any good suggestions for a better deal with guaranteed stock & quick delivery? Any other similar Comet experiences here? Does this sound like a major national company masquerading as the bringer of all things cool without any substance like a dodgy ebay wannabe?

Any blinding suggestions of what I could hit them with (I was thinking more along the lines of demands reasonably made by an ill-treated consumer rather than sticks!)

Ta for reading ...I've got a funny feeling it won't end here...

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    www.av-sales.com ;) £1932.88 Delivered free E55 or E75 DVD recorders but stand is £289 but there were a few peeps with redundant stands from the free stand offer so could pick one up cheap unused S/H???

3. Billyfergus

Billyfergus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What you do now is simple,

Cancel the order (screen not delivered on promised date - good enough reason to cancel) and order from one of many retailers who are selling it for a much cheaper price. :lease:

Or you change your order to another make of screen perhaps.

4. MJ

MJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank them profusely, take the refund and re-evaluate your needs.
    Then shop somewhere else.
    You may feel you would prefer to buy a different make or model. :) or even a DLP RPTV?

It helps to :) , it reduces the rush of anger as you dynamite them (in your thoughts of course :devil: ).

5. Briazy

Briazy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try to get John Lewis to Price match the deal at Comet,you also get a five year warranty and free delivery. :thumbsup:

6. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Simple.

Money back and head over to AV Sales.

'Nuff said!

7. tradesman

tradesman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    like most peeps I only use comet to veiw something I've got my eye on eg: plasma tv just use it as a shop window you rarely see one set up correctly but it gives you an idea on size/looks/ value & potential
    then go and buy elswhere cheaper

regards jack

8. andy_mac

andy_mac
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dad ordered the 42in version of this plasma between xmas & new year from Comet as well.

Was told it would be in store last friday, so we went to collect and was told it was discontinued!!! :eek: After my dad went mental at the staff a manager could all of a sudden get this 'discontinued' set instore in 4 days. :confused:

We're gonna pick it up Friday, if it's not instore we'll go elsewhere. Only reason why we ordered from Comet is because they were doing the cheapest deal for the plasma & stand.

9. Katiesdad

Katiesdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh Dear

I feel a rush of blood coming on...........

Ordered (and paid for) a Panny TH37 Viera + stand for £1999.00 from Comet on New Year bank holiday.

Sorry sir none in stock, should only be a few days we will call you when they are in.

I called four times since then to confirm arrival of stock and no one could give me a definate stock delivery date.

Went to the store yesterday evening to cancel my order.

Manager managed to place a call on his mobile there and then and tracked one down.....will be delivered Friday 14th am....(hope it wasn't the set belonging to cover'd) .....:blush:

Received a phone call this evening to say there has been a slight :censored: up and it now will not be delivered until Sunday am.

13.00 Sunday I will either be smiling or clicking my mouse over to AV Sales.

On On

Paul

10. AFC

AFC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going very off topic, is that a hasher?

11. Katiesdad

Katiesdad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Certainly is...well spotted that man.

Ex Qatar + others.

On On

Paul

12. theroux

theroux

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to hear what happened. I agree with Briazy. I did just that. Went to comet before new year, then to JL Cheadle to price match but found that they were already pricematching COMET. Got it delivered today as planned.... different plasma though not Viera. I think maybe it's a blessing in disguise so now you can order from JL (price matched from lowest in store price)and get the 5 year warranty too.

13. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jl have no 37"s at the moment but you could order it then pay when it arrives

14. rotty

rotty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Similar problem with me at Comet. But I DO actually have my TH37PE30 now, though only after having a 'quiet rant' at the store manager.

Did the usual of trying to get our local JL to pricematch, but the AV department are real :censored: and never seem 'able' to, so I did plump to order from Comet.

Typical sales person tho - checked the system and said "yep, none in stock but another (local) store has 6, so we will get one from there - 2 days". So I paid and all of a sudden the story changed to "the Plasma's are in the warehouse but awaiting stands - should be no longer than 7 days". Thought that was OK as they promised to deliver at the weekend.

Anyhow, chased during the week (just to be sure - heard bad stories about Comet :suicide: ) and was assured delivery at the weekend but to check Friday.

Phoned Friday - Plasma was in :thumbsup: but no stand :thumbsdow - will be another 10 days!

So at this point, I elected to go to the store and have a quiet chat with the manager.

To be fair, he immediately checked his system, found a stack of stands at another local(ish) store and phoned their manager who initially flatly refused to supply one - despite the fact that he had ZERO screens to match. He wanted to keep them 'just in case'. After some argey-bargey between them over the phone, he agreed to let one go.

Well, the store manager offered to collect the stand AND deliver the whole shebang - and true to his word, that Saturday, the Manager and a grunt arrived with my nice new TH37 - in two enormous boxes.

Took me a couple of hours to assemble and set up - most time spent hiding the cables in the handy cable-management system built into the stand.

Works a treat and am well impressed.

So - even though Comet generally are a right bunch of :censored: , there are a few store managers who seem just as frustrated as the customers and who will bend over backwards when they can (thanks Simon from the W-s-M store). He even re-printed my receipt to ensure my warranty ran from the day the set was delivered, not ordered/paid for!

15. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,617
    Hey guys, well i actually work for comet so let me give you the low down of the situation.
    We dont stock the PW range of Panasonics any more and i doubt we ever will yes they are on the sytsem to take paid orders but to be honest its to much hassle as we dont do direct orders from the manufacturers.
    As for the 37" Viera we just got them back into stock, so thats why the manager managed to make the call as they came back into stock sometime this week.
    We do discontinue stock within 4 days actually sometimes within hours.If we sell out of what we have we discontinue it, where is the business sense in not discontinuing it if we arent going to be getting any more.
    And if anyone wants to come into comet to see some Plamsas rigged up as good as they can get im more than welcome to show you as long as you purchase from me
    Neil from Comet Swindon

16. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Trasfer to a branch in East London/Essex and you gotta deal :D

17. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    no disrepesct 2 yourself(salesman at comet)

but i still belive comets aftersales and presale is a absolute joke

ex/ instant replacment cover
    products have to be sent away to be analyzed by a engineer (since when has instant replacment been this)

when u phone up and reserve things you dont get put through to the main branch a .u get put through a call centre please press 1 to hold pres 2 to hold some more etc etc and then u get put through to some 1 in the call centre they have to ring the store themselfs to reserve the items for u 9 times out of ten when u get there its not even in that store

i used to use comet a lot(merry hill centre) so did my family
    for tvs/hoovers/kettles/ etc no more

we now buy all electrical goods from john lewis

:D :D :D HELLO JOHN LEWIS :D :D :D

18. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Eventually you might use a proper dealer too........................

19. alscds

alscds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: thats funny a bit unfair but funny, i think he,s trying to say that the warranty is very good at jl, whats amusing is that a guy at comet told me that jl,s warranty isnt worth anything thats why its free and comets warranty is the dogs :confused: he even went on to say "we dont repair the set we replace it" :rotfl: ok then . anyway just to let you all know jl,s warranty is bullett proof

20. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    av forums for info

johnlewsis to price match and buy

stupid not to realy guys

21. blackmanalishi

blackmanalishi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's difficult to get a lot of the forum-recommended screens at JL - e.g. the PW6 and PW7. I spoke to 3 JL branches and was told they only sell integrated, i.e. plasma with tuner/speakers etc.

Also, Barclaycard are now very wary of people price-matching with JL and then trying to use the Barc price promise when they find it cheaper later. They've obviously realised the warranty makes a big difference to the perceived value of the product, so Barc probably won't pay out if you buy at JL, and that could mean a lot of money (e.g. I'm about to submit a £300 price match claim to them and the price I actually paid for my PW7 was very cheap anyway, under £1500...)

22. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    i got my fridge freezer from comet , the manager printed out the information on every american style one they did , i picked one , it was delivered on time and it was a good price too.
    you were just unlucky i think.

23. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,617
    John Lewis's Garantee isnt great but its free, there are plenty of floors in it but you really cant complain when its FREE. They used to when they pricematched they used to take off the warranty as that was why there products were more expensive.
    Sorry you had such a bad experience, write to head office its definately worth it, dont let the salesman lie etc. gives us all a bad name and thats not what i am about.
    Id love to transfer to London but its far to long of a journey seems i dont drive!!
    And as for the instant replacement i can garantee you at the store i am in now, if your products faulty and you have bought an Instant Replacement and the Customer Services guys agree thats its broken we give you a brand new one there and then (this only applies to good £129.99 or below).
    Thanks

24. Girthvader

Girthvader

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thedude,if your maths is as good as your spelling/punctuation,I'll buy a plasma off you tomorrow!!!!!!!

25. thedude

thedude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,617
    Thats why i sell TVs for a living and i do not teach English.

26. Cover'd

Cover'd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys - many thanks for looking at my whinge!

Ta for the advice, most of it very well founded I'm sure. I made some quick enquiries to see if I can get the Viera 37 elsewhere, but saw similar prices & no stock either, so that wasn't gonna provide a quick solution. And to perfectly frank, my heart went right out of the whole thing. I did my research and looking around over Xmas / New Year - started that again and just turned PC off hacked to the back teeth with it all

I still want one though, but mainly because I re-arranged the room and managed to achieve a good 5.1 set up (instead of a compromised one) with all cabling inc. 2 Sky+ signals, phone connection, upstairs feed & speaker cables all tidily clipped, but my old 28" Sony CRT now sticks out rather stupidly placed half way along a wall instead of tucked nicely away in the corner

Went back to Bomb it!! today, and was instantly shown an email from 'head-office' addressed to lots of stores (oddly enough, the time on it showed it was circulated soon after I'd been given the bad news), stating that "Due to the popular demand for Panasonic Viera 37's, they have secured another 1000 units from Vision, and stock can be expected at Corby (central warehouse) in 7 - 10 days. Don't sell display models etc"

This is obviously a long way better than the "three and half weeks, possibly never" that I was told yesterday (anybody else ever experienced such a 'turn-up-for-the-books'..?) Also, looking around for an alternative, nothing else came close to grabbing me - the integral Cabinet Stand is half the attraction for my requirements (rightly or wrongly). So I agreed to wait and see. The Manager suggested 'something to make me feel happier' about the whole experience - £50 off or kit to that value. End of the day, I just want the Plasma I ordered!!

I will wait because nothing else is doing it for me - even after all this! Neil from Swindon - I will let head office know because this was a s..t piece of business no matter how you slice it... I'll be suggesting that £50 ain't making me feel that much better about things either

To all those awaiting imminent delivery - best of luck guys, I hope it works for you! :)

27. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Criticising spelling and grammar on forums is very rude ! :mad:

28. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,559
    Since when?

Slack spelling and grammar just shows you to have a poor grasp of the English language.

29. RB5 Paul

RB5 Paul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I found Comet to be a bit cack as well when i was looking for a plasma/lcd between christmas and new year,me and the misses settled on the Hitachi 32pd5200 as the picture quality and connectivity were exceptional for the price online which was £1428 so we popped over to our nearest Comet in Northampton to see an identical telly at £1799,we inquired about matching their web price and they said they couldn't do it and when i said well it's your website and not a rivals i just got the response of i'm sorry but we can't match our own website but we will match any other shop price as long as it's within 10 miles and in stock.

Needless to say i just laughed at the bloke and commented that its a bit odd that a company will advertise the same product for 2 different prices and then not match it's own deals,we ended up in Sevenoaks at Bedford (14 miles away) where we got the telly for £1525 with a free £70 vivenco 5 way scart switcher,and they even let us take it home as soon as we paid for it which was a bit of a novelty as well compared to every other shop we walked into lol.

So i'd say a big thumbs up to Sevenoaks in Bedford,very helpful and actually know what they are on about.

And Comet can go b*ll*cks

30. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    see my post on problems with viera stand :mad:

comet were useless and made no attempt to address my concerns/problems - just washed their hands of the matter

thankfully panasonic customer care sorted things out for me :smashin:

i will never buy anything from comet again - not even a filter for my dyson cleaner :thumbsdow

what really concerns me is that maybe 90% of the buying public are unaware of this site - i was until i had bought my plasma

if i had been able to read more on the subject i would never have gone anywhere near comet and would have bought from one of the specialist retailer that get such praise on this forum

i suppose what i have just said is why comet (and their contemporaries) will carry on as before and why comments posted on this forum cause them little concern - we are probably dismissed as troublesome techno nerds :laugh: :laugh: