Comet.co.uk Price Matching

RyanK

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have just noticed that comet.co.uk will price match plus and extra 10% of difference against several online retailers including currys.co.uk. :D

Currys.co.uk currently do the Panasonic 32LXD500 for £1327.28 and never seem to have stock, whereas comet has stock and can delivery on sunday morning for £20 :D :D

Now where`s my credit card. :suicide: :suicide:

I`ve e-mailed them to see if they will price match and then will see.

You seem to be forgetting one thing. Retailers only price match when the competitor actually has the product in stock at a lower price, not just advertising it. :rolleyes:

wow, 10% of the difference? against other stupidly over priced stores?

that must be all of what... £10?

To comet really think they are doing us a favour with this?

u can buy the same lcd for well under £1100 on line and in stock...check pricerunner

dave2110 said:
u can buy the same lcd for well under £1100 on line and in stock...check pricerunner

Yes, but do you want goods like that delivered by courier and then with the risk and nuisance of having to return faulty goods?

I'd rather pay the extra and either pick it up or have it delivered from a very local firm/warehouse - preferably deal with someone local/convenient. Money isn't everything although I appreciate that these savings are very tempting.

See elsewhere where I said that I can get a Pioneer DVR H530 from Comet for £399.99p which is only about £30 more than an average online price. I know from whom I'd rather get this equipment!

I tried this the other day - they'll only pricematch if Currys have stock available. I phoned them up, and for my postcode there was no stock, but for a relative's postcode there was stock available (at the time) with Currys.

After speaking to his supervisor, Comet agreed to pricematch the Curry's price, but only for delivery to the same address which Curry's had stock available for. Considering it's about 200miles away (and there are also money-off promotional codes for Currys), I opted not to take up their pricematch offer. The difference in price between Currys and Comet is about £300, so their 10% difference is only £30 - effectively giving you free delivery.

Comet check the Curry's website from what I understood, so if you can't get to the order screen because there's no stock in your area, then Comet won't be able to either and will simply refuse to match the price based on that.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a swizzle - Comet's service is quite poor and they're in quite a bit of debt from what I gather from recent reports - I'd much prefer to order from Currys/Dixons anyway. If Currys/Dixons have it in stock, you won't need to pricematch, so Comet are basically shooting themselves in the foot with their offer.

Good luck with trying to get a 32LXD500, I've failed so far with Currys/Dixons(/Comet's pricematch offer).

@dave2110: "u can buy the same lcd for well under £1100 on line and in stock...check pricerunner"
--
On Pricerunner, the best price for the 32LXD500 is with Currys/Dixons - I can only assume you have checked the price of the inferior 32LXD50 model or 26" LXD500 version to see the prices you suggest(?).

PirateWolf said:
I tried this the other day - they'll only pricematch if Currys have stock available. I phoned them up, and for my postcode there was no stock, but for a relative's postcode there was stock available (at the time) with Currys.

After speaking to his supervisor, Comet agreed to pricematch the Curry's price, but only for delivery to the same address which Curry's had stock available for. Considering it's about 200miles away (and there are also money-off promotional codes for Currys), I opted not to take up their pricematch offer. The difference in price between Currys and Comet is about £300, so their 10% difference is only £30 - effectively giving you free delivery.

Comet check the Curry's website from what I understood, so if you can't get to the order screen because there's no stock in your area, then Comet won't be able to either and will simply refuse to match the price based on that.

Personally, I think it's a bit of a swizzle - Comet's service is quite poor and they're in quite a bit of debt from what I gather from recent reports - I'd much prefer to order from Currys/Dixons anyway. If Currys/Dixons have it in stock, you won't need to pricematch, so Comet are basically shooting themselves in the foot with their offer.

Good luck with trying to get a 32LXD500, I've failed so far with Currys/Dixons(/Comet's pricematch offer).

@dave2110: "u can buy the same lcd for well under £1100 on line and in stock...check pricerunner"
--
On Pricerunner, the best price for the 32LXD500 is with Currys/Dixons - I can only assume you have checked the price of the inferior 32LXD50 model or 26" LXD500 version to see the prices you suggest(?).

Damn it!!!!! mind you comet delivers on sundays which is handy for me.

I do feel a Bit sorry for Comet who do put a good display of products for us to compare side by side only for us to then buy online !

I would prefer to buy locally but with savings of £200-£300 the concience always looses !

I would hope the manufactures look after people like comet for offering the Public the chance to look and play with their TV's before deciding what to buy

Intersting to see that Comet have now put up the Sony V40 on their website, at a price of £2399...

There's something else odd I've noticed a few times - late at night (well, from 11pm-3am in my experience), you can actually add the 32LXD500 to your basket and place an order with Currys; they seem to think they have stock at that time.
I've done that twice but the following working day on each occasion I've received an email saying that they're out of stock and that my order has been cancelled. :mad:

What you could try/hope for, is see if Currys website is still suffering from the same "I'm gonna let you believe we have stock and place an order but then cancel it tomorrow" problem at the same time that Comet has it's telephone operators working. If so, when Comet try the same process, they'll believe there's stock available and may then agree to the pricematch. ;)
My working pattern has meant I've not been awake so early in the morning to try it though, but it's a possibility (try the Currys website atm to see if you can order - for my postcode I can order, but I *know* they have none in stock).

Jakus, I agree with your sentiments from a conscience type point of view, but Comet only have stock available because their prices are so much higher than their competitors in the first place.
If their store prices were lower (down to maybe £1500 for this tv) then they'd probably do better business in store with `spur-of-the-moment` customers. If their website prices weren't £250-300 more expensive than other online companies, they'd do better from online sales too - and there really is little excuse for their prices being so much more expensive than other highstreet shops' websites.
They are up-pricing their products so much, that they're not making sales because people look elsewhere. No sales = not good for them. Who's to blame - them for being greedy and trying to make x5 the amount of profit on a single item compared to their competitors, or the consumers for wanting a better deal? If lower prices are viable for other vendors, then they should be for Comet too. They've only themselves to blame for losing potential customers with their prices and attitude imho :thumbsdow

Jakus, I agree with your sentiments from a conscience type point of view, but Comet only have stock available because their prices are so much higher than their competitors in the first place.
If their store prices were lower (down to maybe £1500 for this tv) then they'd probably do better business in store with `spur-of-the-moment` customers. If their website prices weren't £250-300 more expensive than other online companies, they'd do better from online sales too - and there really is little excuse for their prices being so much more expensive than other highstreet shops' websites.
They are up-pricing their products so much, that they're not making sales because people look elsewhere. No sales = not good for them. Who's to blame - them for being greedy and trying to make x5 the amount of profit on a single item compared to their competitors, or the consumers for wanting a better deal? If lower prices are viable for other vendors, then they should be for Comet too. They've only themselves to blame for losing potential customers with their prices and attitude imho :thumbsdow[/QUOTE]

Very good Point....You made me feel better.. ;)

I do find it odd that Currys work on a postcode system. It can't be efficient for them to have lots of regional distribution centres in the first place, and it must be harmful to turnaround to limit stock availability to customers. If there is demand from Hampshire but no stock, and stock in Nottinghamshire, but no demand, why not just ship from Notts to Hants and then to the customer?

Its also incredibly unfriendly - "none of those sets, bugger off". Do they think we will just shrug our shoulders and choose another £2k TV? These aren't tins of beans.

Smaller chains like JL seem to have gotten a grip of this - why not the big boys?

Now for something else I've noticed which is very, very strange... Comet no longer list the TX32LXD500 amongst the product range on their website!

I have checked their website literally every day for the past month in the slight hope that they'd reduce their price on that product and today is the first day that it's not been listed... *rather* coincidental considering the post I made last night which suggested a potential way to get a pricematch and criticising their methods. :oops:

Maybe we can hope that if they have read this forum, then they are preparing to reduce their prices to a more reasonable level.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom