• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Comet and the iPad 2!

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Has anyone bought one in store??
As in, placed a paid order?
If so, how long did yours take??
My 32gb 3G White still hasn't arrived in the store after 3 weeks
Granted Keighley is a small store, but it's just annoying me, as when I ring around other stores, they all say most models are coming in within a week!!
Jack

Thanks btw :smashin:

slliw

Established Member
I was tempted to this with Comet as I would have got a 10% off discount them through work. I however resisted as i had that feeling that they would be one of the last to get stock.

Ended up ordering one from Apple online in the end, at least i have an estimated delivery date

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
I was tempted to this with Comet as I would have got a 10% off discount them through work. I however resisted as i had that feeling that they would be one of the last to get stock.

Ended up ordering one from Apple online in the end, at least i have an estimated delivery date

I'm pretty annoyed to be honest, I managed to save £40 by going with them, but it's just not been worth it, I can't even get a refund, as I saved the £40 by buying a gift card to use there :(
I'm going to write a strongly worded letter to their head office, as this is ridiculous, the people in the store aren't massively helpful, and don't even apologise whenever I ring up. I rang today to check if it would be in tommorow ( as that is apparently when they get their delivery of iPads, Monday and Tuesday ) however, the guy on the phone this time was abit nicer and even rang the main warehouse who said they didn't have a clue when it would be in!
I know it's also Apple's fault as well, but it's really annoyed me, especially when every other store in the area I ring, say most people are getting the iPad's they order within 1 week to 10 days!
Jack

slliw

Established Member
That was pretty much the same predicament i was facing. I would have saved £60 but would have had to convert the money into vouchers and if I couldn't pick one up then i'd be stuck with £660 worth of vouchers exclusively for in store Comet purchases to be used within 12 months.

In the end i thought i'd not risk it unless they actually had any in stock. I bought a Macbook Pro a few months from them and that worked in my favour as they had loads in stock.

You should still write a letter as its not fair for them to take your money without some sort of estimation on when they would have stock.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
That was pretty much the same predicament i was facing. I would have saved £60 but would have had to convert the money into vouchers and if I couldn't pick one up then i'd be stuck with £660 worth of vouchers exclusively for in store Comet purchases to be used within 12 months.

In the end i thought i'd not risk it unless they actually had any in stock. I bought a Macbook Pro a few months from them and that worked in my favour as they had loads in stock.

You should still write a letter as its not fair for them to take your money without some sort of estimation on when they would have stock.

Well when I placed the order the guy said it would be around two weeks!
I'm tempted to kick up a fuss and see if I can try and get a refund in cash as a goodwill gesture!
I've heard of it happening before, and they wouldn't be losing out on any money!
Jack

billycan

Established Member
Yup. Ordered from Comet on the Thursday after release date [31st] and was told it would be in on Fri 8th. Was passing on Wed 6th and nipped in for something else.. 'Oh hello Mr Billy, your Ipad just came in, would you like it now?'

They didn't have the Smartcover I ordered, but no complaints.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Yup. Ordered from Comet on the Thursday after release date [31st] and was told it would be in on Fri 8th. Was passing on Wed 6th and nipped in for something else.. 'Oh hello Mr Billy, your Ipad just came in, would you like it now?'

They didn't have the Smartcover I ordered, but no complaints.

What model was it if you don't mind me asking?
What really annoyed me was that a week last Monday - when I rang up, he said it was in!
Turns out, I'd thought he said white one when he actually said whiteman, so I'm guessing it was a 32gb 3g black for mr whiteman!
I'm not impressed at their service, I work for asda part time, and although they weren't fully in the wrong when they said it was in, they should have at least apologised, to be polite. I always would if I was in a situation like that at work!
Jack

billycan

Established Member
Model was black, 32GB, 3G. IIRC they said white ones were harder to obtain, dunno if they just meant Comet couldn't get them. Branch was Huddersfield btw, so not a million miles from you.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Model was black, 32GB, 3G. IIRC they said white ones were harder to obtain, dunno if they just meant Comet couldn't get them. Branch was Huddersfield btw, so not a million miles from you.

True, but still further than I'm willing to travel :D
Would probably work out the same price as having ordered one from somewhere else, when I take into account petrol costs etc!
Thanks for the reply though mate, appreciate people taking time to try help me!
Jack

Member 428620

Established Member
Has anyone bought one in store??
As in, placed a paid order?
If so, how long did yours take??
My 32gb 3G White still hasn't arrived in the store after 3 weeks
Granted Keighley is a small store, but it's just annoying me, as when I ring around other stores, they all say most models are coming in within a week!!
Jack

Thanks btw :smashin:

Hi spikeyjac

I was sorry to learn of the problems you have experienced. Due to the very high demand for the iPad 2, we are only being provided stock on a weekly or fortnightly basis. All new stock received is being allocated to the orders in place on a first come first served basis. We are contacting customers when we receive their order in our stores to arrange collection.

If you would like me to look into this for you further, please feel free to contact me by e-mail. When you e-mail please provide your full name, address, order number and quote the reference 214512.

Contact Comet

Thanks

Chris from Comet

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Just rung up comet and they said it hasn't come on todays delivery, so now the next time it **might** arrive is Thursday!
If it doesn't then it will be 4 weeks that it still hasn't arrived in store - surely I have some right to kick up a complaint now :(

DpM

Prominent Member
Ill let you know when mine is in store. I ordered last Wednesday and was told 7 to 10 days.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Ill let you know when mine is in store. I ordered last Wednesday and was told 7 to 10 days.

What model did you order?
I'm contemplating buying one off the Apple Store - Just don't want to get stuck with 2, which I will do, especially if the comet one takes aaaaages :(
Do you reckon people would be willing to buy one off me near enough to the retail price, if I do go ahead and do this?
Jack

sr20

Established Member
Was going to order one from Comet myself as the wife gets the 10% discount, however rang up Comet today and they said they dont anticipate getting any new stock for at least 4 weeks! Crazy!

Not sure what Apple are playing at really, it will be more than halfway through its lifecycle before its readily available.

jont

Prominent Member
After they messed me around with my previously confirmed order I just free'd up a 64gb 3G black one if that helps - iPad-stock.co.uk let me know Argos got some in last Thursday morning, hit the button and it arrived on Saturday morning !! ... I've since got another couple of emails about Argos having stock but nothing about Comet having any stock so you might want to try there - delivery is free too ;-)

Jon

DpM

Prominent Member
What model did you order?
I'm contemplating buying one off the Apple Store - Just don't want to get stuck with 2, which I will do, especially if the comet one takes aaaaages :(
Do you reckon people would be willing to buy one off me near enough to the retail price, if I do go ahead and do this?
Jack

32gb black wifi.

I'm sure if stock is low you will get dam near rrp if not ebay it, you could get over rrp.

Either way if it were me id wait.

Looking at my Comet receipt the leaflet with it says you can return anything unopened for a full refund within 14 days.

Matt77

Standard Member
I used the discount mentionned by others to order an Ipad2 from Comet. It has yet to arrive.

What really annoys me is NOT the delay; I accept that as an in-demand piece of technology there is going to be a wait for it to filter through to a store like Comet...a big retailer but not the only one trying to sell Ipad2s.

No, what angers me is the attitude of some of the staff in store...let me explain... On ordering the Ipad 2 I was told that it would be in stock for me in '2-3 weeks'. I was a bit surprised that they were so sure of this, as I assumed that they were just waiting for the machines to arrive and couldn't really anticipate exactly when they would come. But no, '2-3 weeks' it was.
After more than 3 weeks I went in to the Comet I had ordered it from and was told unequivocally (and quite rudely) that the Ipad 2 would be arriving 'in 2 weeks'. I asked this member of staff what this meant - did it mean that the previous member of staff should have told me 5 weeks? His response was: 'We don't know when it's coming. It will be 2 weeks'. He could not appreciate the sheer stupidness of this statement: if they don't know, how can they say that it will be 2 weeks?!?! And he didn't say 'it might be up to 2 weeks', no, he was saying that it WOULD be another 2 weeks.

If you are from Comet and reading this, I say to you: tell your staff that if they don't know when the Ipad 2 is coming in, just bloody say so! Stop making stuff up to make it sound like they know what they are talking about!

I can put up with a wait, what I can't put up with is the rubbish that these people are spouting.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
I used the discount mentionned by others to order an Ipad2 from Comet. It has yet to arrive.

What really annoys me is NOT the delay; I accept that as an in-demand piece of technology there is going to be a wait for it to filter through to a store like Comet...a big retailer but not the only one trying to sell Ipad2s.

No, what angers me is the attitude of some of the staff in store...let me explain... On ordering the Ipad 2 I was told that it would be in stock for me in '2-3 weeks'. I was a bit surprised that they were so sure of this, as I assumed that they were just waiting for the machines to arrive and couldn't really anticipate exactly when they would come. But no, '2-3 weeks' it was.
After more than 3 weeks I went in to the Comet I had ordered it from and was told unequivocally (and quite rudely) that the Ipad 2 would be arriving 'in 2 weeks'. I asked this member of staff what this meant - did it mean that the previous member of staff should have told me 5 weeks? His response was: 'We don't know when it's coming. It will be 2 weeks'. He could not appreciate the sheer stupidness of this statement: if they don't know, how can they say that it will be 2 weeks?!?! And he didn't say 'it might be up to 2 weeks', no, he was saying that it WOULD be another 2 weeks.

If you are from Comet and reading this, I say to you: tell your staff that if they don't know when the Ipad 2 is coming in, just bloody say so! Stop making stuff up to make it sound like they know what they are talking about!

I can put up with a wait, what I can't put up with is the rubbish that these people are spouting.

Yep - that's exactly what I'm annoyed at.
Whenever I ring, I keep getting the same sort of thing, however, when I rang on Thursday, someone said that stock had reached the main warehouse, and so it should be in Monday - however, when I rang today, the guy said he wasn't sure, and that he would send an email to his stock manager - it will be 5 weeks this Thursday - However, regardless of whether it comes on Monday or not, I'll still be sending a letter to head office.
Jack

jont

Prominent Member
You can always vote with your feet ... that's what I did ! ...

still getting emails from iPad-stock showing Argos online getting stock in on a daily basis - not sure what Comet have done to be not getting similar deliveries ...

Jon

DpM

Prominent Member
Well my 7-10 days was at 10 days since order yesterday.

My sister in law was going in there today so I asked her to find out why I have not had a call to collect my order.

She was told that it would not be around 2 to 3 weeks from today till I get it :mad:

Ill be going in tomorrow for a refund and a few words with them.

The fact is they could not even be bothered to phone and tell me the order will be delayed is the most annoying part. I wonder how many people around the country have been fed BS about delivery time and then led on more once the time is up. Id also like to know how much of Comet's yearly profit will be due to our money being sat in their account rather than in ours gaining interest :nono:

Comet has always been a crap place for customer service. Ill be going else where even if it takes longer. I have been burnt before by Comet don't know why I ordered form there, oh wait yes I do it was 2 members of staff promising to have an iPad for me in 7 to 10 days time :facepalm:

Ill either order direct from Apple or ill go to a shop that looks after customers much better, John Lewis.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
Well my 7-10 days was at 10 days since order yesterday.

My sister in law was going in there today so I asked her to find out why I have not had a call to collect my order.

She was told that it would not be around 2 to 3 weeks from today till I get it :mad:

Ill be going in tomorrow for a refund and a few words with them.

The fact is they could not even be bothered to phone and tell me the order will be delayed is the most annoying part. I wonder how many people around the country have been fed BS about delivery time and then led on more once the time is up. Id also like to know how much of Comet's yearly profit will be due to our money being sat in their account rather than in ours gaining interest :nono:

Comet has always been a crap place for customer service. Ill be going else where even if it takes longer. I have been burnt before by Comet don't know why I ordered form there, oh wait yes I do it was 2 members of staff promising to have an iPad for me in 7 to 10 days time :facepalm:

Ill either order direct from Apple or ill go to a shop that looks after customers much better, John Lewis.

If mine still hasn't come by tommorow, I will be kicking up a fuss, and demanding they refund my money by either cash or credit card, and not back onto the gift card that I paid with.
Everytime I ring up, I get a different answer.
The woman on thursday, seemed to think that my order said that the stock had reached the main warehouse, however, when I rang yesterday the guy said he wasn't sure what was going on and was going to email his stock manager.
They hadn't even taken down the right number for me, so even if it had come in stock, I wouldn't know!
They're a farce, and if they say no to refunding me the money in cash, I'll kick up an even bigger fuss, especially as they won't have lost a single penny (Well I don't think they would, would they??)

poppitypop

Established Member
spikeyjac, as you paid by gift card IIRC you will not be entitled to a refund of cash or onto credit card, you will get a refund onto a gift card. You are only entitled a refund by means of which you paid. Thats not to say they won't do it if you play nice with them, its just with regards to law they only have to refund by how you paid.

spikeyjac

Distinguished Member
spikeyjac, as you paid by gift card IIRC you will not be entitled to a refund of cash or onto credit card, you will get a refund onto a gift card. You are only entitled a refund by means of which you paid. Thats not to say they won't do it if you play nice with them, its just with regards to law they only have to refund by how you paid.

I know I know :(
However, if it hasn't come by this Thursday - 5 weeks is a long time to wait, and I'll be kicking up a fuss!
However, apparently mine is on it's way to the store so hopefully a delivery today!

DpM

Prominent Member
Well I got a refund. I asked how long it was going to be and I was told the status of the order is amber. What does that mean I asked, "could be next week could be weeks" I was told. :rolleyes:

I asked why I was told 7 to 10 days, all I got was "I would not have told you that, was it him (guy pointed at another member of staff)". Nice blame culture there then!

I said, just refund the money as its better in my account than in Comets and ill order from another store that will have the decency to phone me and update me on my order.

Ill order from somewhere else at the end of the week when I'm back from the family break.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom