1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comet After Sales Service / TX32PL4 problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Kenny_R, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Kenny_R

Kenny_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,
    I've just taken delivery of a Panasonic TX32PL4 - £699 from Comet.

Unfortunately there is a line about 2 inches wide on the right hand side of the screen where the picture is distorted (it looks kind of dirty).

I'm just about to ring up Comet about this - but wondered what my rights were.
    Can I insist on a replacement? Will it be taken away for repair? Am I expected to deliver it to Comet or will they pick it up?

Any info as to what I can insist on would be gratefully received.
    Cheers,
    Kenny

2. erbrod

erbrod

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Provided Comet agree to a fault within 28 days, they will either replace or refund the set. They will send an engineer out to take a look.

With faulty goods the law describes them as not of 'satisfactory quality' (Sale of Goods Act) and you can get your money back within 30 days (I think).

Beyond the 28 days, Comet's policy is usually repair only. I don't think anything will be a problem, Comet were fine with me and I got my money back without question.

As far as the law goes, your contract is with the retailer and they are responsible for the goods they sell you. They cannot fob their responsibility off to a manufacturer or other third party. Goods should last a 'resonable' amount of time and this time depends on the quaility (usually defined by price) and purpose of the goods. The 12 month guarantee period is a MINUMUM and beyond this time it does not mean a retailer has no liability for faulty goods. A £20 toaster might die after 12 months and you really cannot complain, but you (and a court) may expect a £1500 TV to last quite a while longer. If it fails after 14 months, say, you should pursue the retailer as they are STILL responsible, no matter how hard they try to deny it. I think (someone correct me if wrong) that retailers have a liability in law for goods up to 6 years after sale. Never believe what a retailer tells you when you encounter problems - survey after survey reveals that staff at stores and head offices simply don't understand the law. Read up on consumer law and you'll be amazed how they get away with the porkies they are known to tell.

Interestingly, the EU are trying to get the MINUMUM 12 month period extended to 24 months on all goods......

PLEASE NOTE - in no way am I suggesting that any specific retailer, especially the one named at the top of this post, would mis-quote or fail to understand consumer law or try to deny an uniformed customer of their rights under the law. DISCALIMER ENDS!!

3. drphibes

drphibes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    erbrod has described what you need to do very well.
    I had to return 2 sets that had faults and they replaced them both.
    All I will add is the engineers that came to view my sets tried to convince me that the sets where not faulty and where acceptable.
    I disagreed with their views and insisted that the faults did exist and this must have been the case as Comet wrote off both of these sets that the engineers wanted me to keep:eek: .

Just be pleasant with them and I am sure you will be fine , just get onto them asap before the 28 day cutoff date as it makes things a lot easier.

Drphibes

4. Kenny_R

Kenny_R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you know what happened.

The guy took a look at the set and whipped out his demagnitising device which he waved around the set for a bit. This improved things a bit, but the discolouration was still noticeable.

He then told me that the picture was "pretty good really". I said that for £700 I expected it to be perfect.

So he rang someone up and I got the right to exchange it.

Just so you know - Kenny