Comercial or domestic OLED?

la gran siete

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just thought I'd throw the question as I have a commercial plasma display myself and have always been of the opinion that such displays are designed to be used 24/7 and are more rugged by nature ie designed to last.
So far there are no commercial OLEDs available in the UK which led me to think that maybe they just don't have the long-term reliability that is required for the commercial sector.There is, though, one available in the US PROVANTAGE: LG Electronics 55EH5C-S 55" Class Dual-View Flat OLED Signage but looking at the eye-watering price made me wonder why it is so high. Different market does not suffice as an answer.Could it be that the components used are of a very much higher standard? This is 1080p set as well, no hdr ,probably no tuner either

I don't think there's any difference between components nowadays. Back when professional displays were popular for the consumer things were different. Manufacturers were sometimes cutting costs with poor quality components (such as Samsung with lower quality capacitors) but they soon changed to include better quality parts in the future.

I think with commercial or professional displays now you're only paying for the additional software and capabilities, not for better quality components. Perhaps quality control on them are higher but I don't think there will actually be a difference in reliability. Besides for the amount they cost you could almost buy two consumer TVs instead.

As for the OLEDs I think it's just a private market, they are a lot more expensive to begin with let alone bundled with all the professional features.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom