1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Comedy programmes picture quality

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by M271, Jul 22, 2005.

1. M271

M271
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The current trend for filming in or editing mostly British Comedy programmes to give a 'poor quality' 'filmy' appearance really gets on my nerves. The Catherine Tate show being a prime example this week, to my eyes it cheapens the feel of the programme. Another non comedy show given 'the treatment' is Antiques Roadshow (the next generation), although the normal Antiques Roadshow is is normal picture quality, is it supposed to be hip and tendy to have a poor picture style. A few years ago Casualty tried it and reverted to normal picture after complaints.

On other forums on this site there are endless topics about LCDvPlasmavDLP technology and about the appearance of High definition but what the point when the programme makers apparently choose to degrade the Picture that they have !! I want to view programmes as clear and life like as possible.

Why do programme makers choose to give their programmes the look of a 1970's American Sit com ?

2. Andy3

Andy3
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    It's just a passing fashion - I hope :lease: They obviously think their wonderful productions look better with the interlace mucked about with and that odd 'glassy' look.
    They even do it to old archive stuff on occasion too. Drives me nuts.
    I'm currently exchanging emails with the company (Leopard Films) that makes 'Car Booty', a cheap & awful 'before the news' show about picking up bargains at chav sales. The 'enhancement' they use makes the picture look like you are peering through an old, grubby window - bright in the middle and dark around the edges. Lord knows what they think this achieves, but it irritates the sh!t out of me. The guy there is contacting the technical bods to see what its all about. No doubt they'll say it's to achieve a certain ambience or some such rubbish.
    (Grinds teeth and pours another whisky.. :rolleyes: )

3. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,266
    I hate this "filmic" effect, especially when applied to excess as it was on the Antiques Roadshow. They also did it to Emmerdale a couple of years ago but stopped after a few weeks because of the complaints (I was one of them even though I don't watch it much). There are several threads about this on Digital Spy and I have yet to find anyone, apart from the programme makers, that like it.

I vote with my remote control now and avoid most of these programmes now as it's so annoying.

4. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,504
    US shows used to have poor qualtiy pictures (soft, too much colour etc...) now its the oppsite. X-files was the first series I can remember having a good quality movie like picture (crisp and sharp, natural colours etc...) :thumbsup:

UK programs although a bit grey were always reasonable quality. I dont ever watch the programs mentioned but i can guess the effect you mean. :thumbsdow

I agree that HD would be wasted on this type of poor material. TV quality should be improving not getting worst :suicide:

:D