1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Come see the New NEC screens!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Liam @ Prog AV, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I have booked out an afternoon at the Business Design Centre in Islington where NEC have a showroom displaying their range of plasmas. This is an ideal chance for anyone in the area to nip on a tube and come see us and the new NEC screens and quantify all these wild claims I've been making!!

Being an NEC event I didn't think it good cricket to stick a Pio and Panny in the room too, but one of the offices down the corridor has a Panny on their wall... I can just imagine a flock of forum-folk marching between these poor guys and NECs suite comparing the differences :laugh: :laugh:

What's on Show?

61XM3
    50XR4
    42XR3
    42VP4 x 4 (video wall)

Plus a few projectors at the back

Where is it?

The Business Design Centre in Islington

When is it?

Tuesday 1st February. I will be leaving the doors open from about midday onwards, can possibly do earlier if anyone requests it. If necessary I can keep the room open until the end of the day, but it doesn't look as though I can keep it open far into the evening (although I am trying).

What will be shown?

NEC have a control system feeding all the plasmas from Sky, 2 DVD players and a HDTV server. The DVD and Sky are both scaled up to 720p by a pretty industrial looking thing in the server cupboard! We will also be running a Philips 963 directly to the 42XR3 (hopefully with a Lumagen processor).

On the side are NECs little HT510, a handful of industrial projectors and a VP5 (anti-glare) in the window.

What next?

Just drop me a mail on forum@progressive-av.com so I can keep an eye on numbers and preferred times. It's not a massive room so we could do without people all turning up at once!! Otherwise I hope to see you all in February!

:hiya:

2. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Unfortunately the room is only going be available until approx 4.15pm, it was this or nothing so I didn't complain!! What I will do is get there earlier so if anyone can only do the morning please drop me a mail and I will try to see you while I'm setting up!

With some luck Gordon will be down so we'll be able to get a decent setup on one of the screens being fed both component, and SDI-Lumagen-DVI from my Philips 963.

3. creative-av

creative-av

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Hi Liam,

Can't make the trip but is there any chance of them getting a VR/VM5 for you to check out aswell? Just thinking as there are a lot of people who, like me, cannot afford to make the HD jump that it would be good to have a review by a professional of the SD model. I'm sure quite a few people on the forum would also be interested in this.

Cheers,

Steve

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I think they just can't be bothered to stick one in! There's no space to comfortably put another plasma in and at the moment the VP4 is part of a four screen video wall which would be very hard for them to justify replacing!

TBH asides from resolution and size there is very little difference between the models, they all use the same processing and internal parts. They all also work with 720p @ 50Hz!!

5. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Damn! I'll be in the States then. I'm sure that lots of nice people will post their impressions here, won't you guys?

6. Mattyboy_W

Mattyboy_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Unfortunately won't be able to make the 1st Feb but would really appreciate feedback on the XR3 or XM3. A dealer had promised me a demo on Friday this week but now tells me that the NEC rep can't get hold of a demo model. The key question for me is will they provide a good picture from Sky Sports or Freeview. I will be surprised if the PQ from a DVD or HDTV source isn't excellent.

Thanks

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, I'd be very interested in the PQ of SKY on both the SD and HD 42" models...

8. bstonehouse

bstonehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Thanks Liam

I will probably attend about 2 PM.

I'm intersted in the XR3 and how well it will display SKY. Would it possible to show it via a JS converter for a true comparison of what we are likely to see if we purchase one.

Thanks

9. Pat Marcus

Pat Marcus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Liam

Did i read that right ? This is actually a panel that DOES do 720p at 50hz ? And also does HDCP on DVI ?

Is this the future proofed panel that weve all been waiting for ?

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Futureproof in the sense it does the HDTV resolutions and refreshes we are currently aware of...

2pm is fine, can you drop a mail to the forums@ address anyway so I can collate the details. Unfortunately given that everyone I have spoken to has asked to see the screens setup a different way and we simply do not have the time and resources to do this I'm afraid it's Sky via the distribution system or nothing!! I'm sure with the amount of screens that have been sold now more and more will post alleviating any fears you have over this screen and it's performance.

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Future proof!!! Wow, that's not something you hear very often in this hobby Pat ;)

12. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    :laugh: