1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

come on - SOMEONE must have seen The Two Towers already

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by adi, Dec 18, 2002.

1. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its 8.25pm on wednesday 18th Dec - the day we've been waiting for all year - how many people were going to see it today ??

ive read umpteen reviews in the press now i just want some good old ground level enthusiasm

COME ON PEOPLE - WHATS IT LIKE

2. derekrcross

derekrcross
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    saw two towers today go and see it its VERY GOOD loads of action

3. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Saw it this afternoon.

Very enjoyable but not as good as the fellowship.

Some of the of scenes felt a bit rushed due to editing and also some of the scenes had HORRENDOUS visual effects. Mainly the scenes with Treebeard and the bobbits.

Gollum was excellent though.

Shame of it for me was after Fellowships' excellent effects and camera work, TTT delivers some very dodgy effects more of Lucas's ilk.

Regards

4. Coolcat

Coolcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it twice today at Leicester Square. Very good but I didn't feel as involved with it as I was with the Fellowship of the Ring, but I think that is because you are jumping between three different story lines. Gollum was really outstanding (it's rather scary how good the CGI is getting).

I will be looking forward to the extended DVD version as it did seem that some scenes were edited to keep the film within three hours.

It was cracking entertainment and I even enjoyed it more the 2nd time.

The Two Towers was never going to be an easy film to adapt for the big screen and I think PJ has done a great job.

5. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thought he did a great job with Fellowship.

TTT was ok.

Just my oppinion.

6. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Wel I saw TTT it today at 3:40 and IMO it was good, I prefer FOTR at the moment but as I have only seen TTT once so the boat is still out.

There was more humor than I expected (which is good) but the TTT is darker then the first part.

I want this film on DVD now, it sounded good at the cinema but I really really want to here this film on my home setup.

I also can't weight for the next part so I can see the end of the story on the big screen.

7. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Been back an hour from seeing it,

Thought it was well put together, had all the key elements in it, but there were a few downers as well

Good stuff
    Gollum - stunning, simply fantastic cgi & mo-cap No cut and paste clone troopers here, where he walks gras and earth moves. You actually forget he's not real and start feeling sorry for him. Andy Serkis did a great job.
    Battle scenes - Massive rocks big time
    Ents - well thought out and delivered, destruction of Isengard was excellent (although one, and only one, scene with Merry & Pippin in treebeards hands looked a bit dodgy)
    Balrog - Even better than in FOTR
    Humour & Cameraderie - Entertaining, without excess.

Bad Stuff.

:mad: Grainy & Out of focus - Could be the cinema, although it's a THX screen, not a great projectionist either as virtually every reel change jumped. So not a clear and sharp as FOTR was/is but may not be the films fault.

:mad: Gandalf The White and the ridiculous Megawatt light that appeared behind him every time he appeared.

Overall, a damn good movie, WETA really do have the upperhand with effects, and they've done fantastically well with what is essentially "the bit in the middle".

Roll on the special edition :D

8. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    saw it last nightr at star city, birmingham, thought it was fantastic.

i thought Treebeard was brill except for the areas around the hobbit's heads which looked very "matted"

Gollum was superb - goodbye jar jar..........

Overall only a couple of points down on FOTR. but when compared to any other movie its still worth 5 stars, its just that FOTR set such a high benchmark.

i also noticed that the reels jumped from time to time.

fantastic film go and see it.

Gary

9. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Am I the only person that though the scenes containing treebeard and the hobbits looked more like "Camberwick Green" than Fangorn forest? It was the worst matting ive seen since the first harry potter movie and that was bad.

When the Ents started catching fire I expected some to call for "Hugh, Pugh, Barney, McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble & Gruff!"

10. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i think thats a bit harsh, desticado, but hey each to his own.

gary

11. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Saw it yesterday with my mate Stealther......Brilliant start to the film and that continued, full of action, brilliant sound but, i just didn't like the walking tree's.....seemed a liitle out of place to me, but then again, i have not read the books.

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I liked how there were no credits at the start of the movie.

Just the title and then straight into it.

13. Ian Cox

Ian Cox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw the film last night and overall it was very good indeed. At the moment I prefer the Fellowship as it has that more magical element to it but I am sure I will love TTT as much once I have seen it a couple of times. The special effects were very good, especially Gollum and helms deep. Have to agree with Desticado that Treebeard did look a bit dodgy at times when viewed up close with the hobbits, but on the wide shots he looked great.

They made some fairly big changes to the film from the book but I thought they all worked and probably made the story a bit more interesting. Also PJ did a great job of editing the three story elements together as this is probably going to be the hardest film to edit. All the acting was top notch again with the standout performance being Gollum, to think he was just a bunch of pixels defies belief and the scene where he has the conversation with himself is one of the best acting performances I have seen this year.

The only disappointment was the sound, not sure if it was the cinema or the film. There seemed to be hardly any rear effects and you could hardly hear the score. I expect it was the cinema as the Fellowship DVD sounds superb at home and I have no reason to doubt that TTT would not sound as good.

Easily the best film of the year and I can not wait for ROTK as it is my favourite part from LOTR. Overall 8.5/10

14. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Saw this yesterday at Leicester Square Odeon.

A few thoughts:

Gollum/Smeagol was a superb creation, and the writing and portrayal of the character were excellent. One actually felt a real sense of compassion for this "fallen" creature. Definately Oscar quality performance.

The Ents were well conceived, and so I won't quibble over minor technicalities over the FX's.

I like the element of humour that was used, particulalrly with Gimli, but it did not mitigate the heroic aspects of his charactor. Finally we got to see some fancy axe work, that Dwarves are famous for.

I felt that Brenard Hills Theoden, was a little stern, but I expect that his charactor will soften with the introduction of Merry as his swordthain, in the next film.

The Nazgul were perfect. So was Gandalfs battle with the Balrog.

As a Tolkien purist, I feel that the changes that have been made to adapt this story have so far, worked very well. The scenes between Frodo and Faramir in the book although very well written are very static and do not lend themselves to good cinema. Jacksons more daring interpretation with the action moved from Henneth Anun to Osgiliath, works well is depicting the dilemma of carrying the one ring, and the ultimate corruption it brings.

I could go on for hours but, the final point I'd like to focus on was the reshooting of the end, and the incorporation of Sam's soliloquy. I felt that it worked very well, showing that in some respects Sam is the greater of the two protagonists, and in focusing on the nature of self sacrifice for the universal good. It also has some further relevance, due to the times we all live in.

Anyway, lecture over. Loved the film. Yes, we all have minor criticisms, but the good aspects of this production are far greater than it's failings. Go and see as soon as you can.

15. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can hardly wait to see this tonight!:D :D

16. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Saw it last night too at Warner village on The purley way

Absolutely loved it, can't believe I have to wait a whole year for the next installment!!

Does anyone know who gollum was talking about at the end!! If not then I'll have to read the book and that'll take a whole year
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So can't wait till the extended version comes out next year!!

17. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Shelob The Great. Last child of Ungoliant.

Or to you a rather large arachnid ;)

18. asteri

asteri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great thank you!!

I think I'm going to try and attempt to read the books as well, Hopefully I will get into them as I remember trying to read the fellowship when I was 16 and just gave up after a few pages :rolleyes: Hopefully being 10 years older will help :D

19. Jason S

Jason S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Knowing the books has its advantages and disadvantage

Advantage - You know who's who, what's what and why things are happening, even without being able to see all 9 hours in one go.

Disadvantage - You know what's coming, and at times may get a little picky (Hobbits don't have pointy ears, where's the bit where such and such happens etc, etc...)

I've said it once but I'll say it again; Gollum/Smeagol was incredible. Got to agree with Xusia Of Delos, Oscar performance, but who get's it? The digital team or the actor they used for the voice / capture? I'd give one each.

20. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Both deserve one... the creation of Gollum even deserves the creation of a new award... a simply stunning groundbreaking moment in cinema history.

I actually felt sorry for a collection of pixels when he was trying and failing to do the right thing, I laughed at his jokes and insults but more than anything I was totally captured by the scenes where Gollum/Smeagal discuss what needs to be done, I haven't sat there starring at the screen wide-eyed in disbelief for a long, long time.:eek: :eek:

the last charge of the ents was also stunning,:eek: before this moment I couldn't quite work out how the ents would fit in with the film because before that (as has already been said) they didn't seem to fit in somehow. But they totally redeemed themselves with their battle. Peter Jackon knocked the ball out of the park on that one.

I have to say I wasn't as impressed with the battle of helm's deep tho, it just seemed a little flat (flame suit on:D ) in comparison to these other moments, there's only so many times you can see an orc hacked to pieces and stay interested, although the last charge with aragon and theoden was impressive as was the cavalry charge.

Amazing film, surely this is going to be the greatest trilogy in cinema history!

Roll on Return of the King!!:) :)

21. SOUNDSTYLE

SOUNDSTYLE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Watched it last night.
    WOW. Can this trilogy get any better? These films are going to have the longevity that Star Wars has.
    I found it slightly better than the first one and the action just kept coming.
    Gollum looked very good for CGI.
    The third instalment is supposed to be even better.
    I CAN'T WAIT.:)

22. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    What a rip off! The way Gandalf comes back from the dead just as Obi-Wan did in ESB. Couldnt believe it! :p

23. daninthemix

daninthemix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best film I've ever seen...I think. The only crap bit was where Gimli and Aragorn kept launching themselves/each other into piles of orcs and each time coming out unscathed...ah well.

Gollum was amazing...one of the best performances ever and the fact that he was CG'd makes it all the more astounding.

Awesome momentum generated by the interleaving of the 3 plot strands...

I was truly gobsmacked - this is epic, better than the first, and so far I think it makes that 'other' famous trilogy seem rather silly in comparison.

24. adi

adi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right - its my turn now.

after what seems like a lifetime, i went to see it tonight.

i can only agree with whats been written here and say that i thought it was totally and utterly AWESOME.

the opening was just jaw dropping and what a way to go into it - no credits, no introduction, no synopsis - just straight back into the narrative.

what can be said about golum that hasnt already been said - that so much raw emotion can be depicted by a group of pixels is staggering and its a genuine shame that this will "only" win a bunch of sfx awards

jackson is a genius - the way the suspense built throughtout - the way the separate threads developed, then the two climactic battle sequences.......well - im gonna stop now cos ive run out of words to adequatly describe what i saw

on last thing - ws it really 3 hours long ?? - my wife mentioned that it felt like about half that amount of time, so completely did it involve you

roll on next christmas !!!

one last thing - did it really last three hours

25. mattruston

mattruston

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exceptional film if taken on its own but when compared to FOTR doesnt come close, as FOTR in my opinion is my favourite film ever (even held in higher regard to me than empire strikes back OH YES)
    the tree things looked dodgey with the hobbits on it, could see the blue screen through their hair and reminded me a bit of those dodgy 60's films like jason and the argonauts, truely awful cgi / whatever effects there :eek:

but other than that no complaints except felt a bit left out of frodos emotions etc and for me at least too much humour.

im not bagging the film at all its just its easier to pick the faults out when the film on the whole is so flawless. id give it 9.99999/10 :cool:

26. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,216
    I belive the actor has been mooted for an oscar nomination. Gollum reminded me of Stewie from Family Guy

Quote by Desticado "Am I the only person that though the scenes containing treebeard and the hobbits looked more like "Camberwick Green" than Fangorn forest? It was the worst matting ive seen since the first harry potter movie and that was bad"
    I have to say I noticed the matting as well.

Asteri If you want to read about Sméagol get The Hobbit it will give you more on his background and he is in it for a very large part.

Of the two films they both had the good points the first seemed to have more story the second more action. I was wary of the second because I wasn’t over keen on this part in the animated film, but time just flew by in this film.

27. Paden

Paden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Wasn't the blinding light behind him at Helms Deep sunlight as he came over the ridge out of the east?

Was the army that accompanied Gandalf there, those banished by King Theoden earlier (Eomer & his loyal bunch)?

On only one viewing I thought there was more characterisation in the first part & as a result it was probably more satisfying (just have to go & see it again to check :D )

Haven't read the books & did find Faramirs relationship with Frodo a little hard to grasp.

Some of the Hobbit with Ents effects were a little obvious but didn't spoil my overall enjoyment of the film.

Cheers, Paul

28. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Some times the big screen does show up all the dodgy effects. I bet on the DVD release, no one will mention them at all. But dont quote me on that!

29. raigraphixs

raigraphixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,658
    Hi,

Watched The2towers the other night. Golem was great. The film was cool, but...personally I like the 1st one better, with the mines of moria, the black riders, etc, it had far more tense scenes and was more haunting than the 2nd.
    Just my opinion.

In the two towers when Arragon and Gimli the drawf were fighting the orcs on the pathway, all of a sudden all the fighting stopped to watch Gandalf on his lovely white horse!, aaahhh. Those orcs are a bit dappy, they could of finished gimli and Arragon off!!!. The constant one liners seemed out of place as well, suppose you have to look at the funny side, when youre trying to save the world!!!. Usually I find films better with a second viewing, as exceptations are usually very high with so much buildup.

Really missed the black riders/ring wreaths what ever they were called. One on the back of a black dragon was not meancing enough. Not enough of the sexy Liv Tyler either!. The trees was great. Special Branch Squad I think!.

ta

rai

30. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,107
    ****POTENTIAL SPOILER*****

Frodo's and Faramirs relationship from the book is quite strange (I haven't seen TTT yet, waiting to watch the extended version of FOTR first).

Not sure how the film explains it, but Faramir is Boromir's brother, their relationship was not particuarly great. Basically, Boromir was the elder and more powerful, however he wasn't the scholar that Faramir was and wasn't as psychologically strong. Faramir was slightly peeved that Boromir was sent to help get the ring, when he felt he was the stronger choice.

But as he was his younger brother he did the honorable thing and stayed out of it. Basically, Faramir knew his brothers faults and through conversations with Frodo and the feeling of knowing himself that he wants to keep the ring, he realises that Boromir likely attacked Frodo.

I guess he feels shame at this and also knows that Boromir died because of the ring. He really feels a little uncomfortable around Frodo because of this.