Come and look at my breast (pics within) advice needed.

J4g3d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for ideas on how to hide the cabling in my brick chimney breast (the fire place will never be used).

I know that drilling a hole is likely a wise idea behind the tv to feed the cables through, and another on the side of the chimney near the bottom. Probably also one behind the soundbar, to feed cables from that to the tv. But how to stop drafts from coming through? what size hole should I go for? is there any special device I could use to block the hole but still allow the cabling through? I was thinking of something like you find on office desks, but the hole would need to be rather large for this.

Also is it better to get longer cables..ie...HDMI, POWER..etc. Or stick a extension lead and leave it behind the chimney breast? Only issue I have with extending the cables is my yamaha soundbar, its hardwired, so it'll only go so far. Unless I get a plug extension just for that.

As you can see on the left side I have a PS4, Nintendo switch and the yamaha bass box.

I fitted the skirting, carpet, wallpapered, painted, fitting the mantle piece all 8 months ago and the mrs is nagging me to hide those ugly cables. So now it is time!

Pics attached.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20191105_210002.jpg
    IMG_20191105_210002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 204
  • IMG_20191105_210014.jpg
    IMG_20191105_210014.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Depending on the size of the hole there are various flexible mastics/fillers you could use that would stop drafts and still seal the hole. Trouble comes if you disturb the cables too much and break the seal.

You *could* use faceplates. Generally it's better not to if you can avoid it - the fewer connections the better - but it'll depend on how long the cables need to be and what type etc..

You could even open up the front of the fireplace and put the other kit in the space - bring the cables up to the TV from behind. Might be neater - no holes on the exterior of the chimney breast and you gain some space either side. You'd have to seal the chimney up though, but that's not a big job.

Photos not that clear to see everything but. You could if possible hot glue the cables to the mortar & follow a horizontal direction to the left of the mantle & then down to the floor. You could buy a black extension lead if that blends in to your decor better. Not that neat and tidy but may be suitable short term.

Should have an air vent in the closed off fireplace to prevent moisture and damp forming.....

Is that real brickwork in the pictures or brick looking wallpaper?

Depending on the size of the hole there are various flexible mastics/fillers you could use that would stop drafts and still seal the hole. Trouble comes if you disturb the cables too much and break the seal.

You *could* use faceplates. Generally it's better not to if you can avoid it - the fewer connections the better - but it'll depend on how long the cables need to be and what type etc..

You could even open up the front of the fireplace and put the other kit in the space - bring the cables up to the TV from behind. Might be neater - no holes on the exterior of the chimney breast and you gain some space either side. You'd have to seal the chimney up though, but that's not a big job.
Definitely do not want to open up the front of the fireplace. Its bricked off anyway. I'm done with messy jobs, especially with new carpet now down. I initially removed the hearth, it was a bit of a messy job. The max im doing here is drilling.

Photos not that clear to see everything but. You could if possible hot glue the cables to the mortar & follow a horizontal direction to the left of the mantle & then down to the floor. You could buy a black extension lead if that blends in to your decor better. Not that neat and tidy but may be suitable short term.

Really want to avoid this as i've been doing it this way all my life. So looking for a long term clean look.
Should have an air vent in the closed off fireplace to prevent moisture and damp forming.....

Is that real brickwork in the pictures or brick looking wallpaper?
There is no chimney on the roof, its sealed up.
Brickwork is actually wallpaper.

Personally - I’d drill about an inch hole behind the TV somewhere (HDMI side). Similarly an inch hole down low on the side where the cables currently run.

Use a cable puller wire from top to bottom to pull cables down and through. The fixed power isn’t a problem - usually they’re only live and neutral connections so perfectly acceptable to take the plug off and extend. As others have said - putty / silicon the holes but don’t keep tugging on them.

You’ll likely need to run power bottom to top for the sound bar then top to bottom for your AV cables. Not a big job :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom