Combo VCR/DVD question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by CheekyKid, Jun 12, 2005.

1. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I'm interested in buying a Combo VCR/DVD mainly coz i want to transfer some of my VHS to DVD.I've been thinking about these 2 model --->

Panasonic DMR ES30V VHR/DVD Recorder Combi Unit
    JVC DR MV1 VHS/DVD RECORDER COMBO

Do you have something better to sugest? Thanks

2. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I don't know about anything better, but I am in a similar position to you looking at this kind of combo unit as my introduction into DVD recorders (though in the long term I'll end up with the first Panny/Tosh HDD recorder with a built-in Freeview Tuner).

Purely by chance I stumbled across a Samsung unit for about £250 while having a nose around the newly-opened Comet superstore in my town.

If only I could remember the model number. What I do know is that like the Panny it supports DVD-RAM and that it doesn't appear on Comet's web site, nor the local (UK) Samsung web site (you have to go to the global site to find any details).

Initially, I would put off by the fact that none of the pictures, nor the manual seemed to indicate the presence of any scart sockets, but couldn't beleive that a product of this type didn't have any scart sockets at all. In the end, I paid a return visit and took the unit from the shelf to have a look for myself.

Sure enough, when I took a look there were two scart sockets on the back.

3. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Here is the product link from Samsung's global site. The site seems to infer that it is an USA product, but the pictures and the model number correspond with what Comet have on their shelves.

4. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I too am looking at this new Panasonic. I need a good alround DVD recorder for 'occasional' use and a fallback VHS. I have had good experience with Panasonic AV kit, and would always go for a top-line brand over some of the cheaper manufacturers. (My brother-in-law's Samsung plasma has convinced me not to touch them with a bargepole !)

Any feedback on this device gratefully received. Also, would I be able to loop the AV1/2 at the back with a macroblaster scart and copy my kids VCRs to DVD...?

For the indexer; dmr-es30

5. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    To my knowledge the Panny one is pretty good but:
    The good:Easy to use; stellar recording quality with VHS-to-DVD transfers, especially in LP mode; Flexible Recording custom recording speed; includes rear-panel S-Video input; chasing playback with DVD-RAM discs.

The bad:Cannot place chapter stops on DVD+R/-R/-RW discs; poor editing options; VHS outputs through only composite or RF jacks; no FireWire input

Basically what bothers me is the fact that it cannot place chapter stops so when you see a DVD and you want to go forward you have to do it as cassete type like.You can't jump recordable sections.Also what I don't know is how a VHS can be copy protected? I have a serious of cassetes which i have bought from several shops and my reservation is if the DVD recorder would be able to copy them.I don't wanna end up with a message: copy protected VHS sorry,put and an other cassette.

6. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many commercially recorded VHS cassettes used macrovision copy protection, which can be overcome with a suitable cable, but obviously if you are using an in ternal channel to record (as you would in this combo), you will not have the ability to overcome this protection. You would need to either loop the AV out to the AV in using such a cable, or feed the VHS from an external VCR via the cable into the DVD recorder - which sort of limits the value of a combo....the main advantage being saved space for playing your legacy cassettes.

7. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I'm a rank amateur on this technology, so please bear with me, but this seems to be a really silly thing to have missed out (particularly if the other Panny recorders, when recording from an external VHS source) do automatically add chapter stops.

Does this mean, however, that by virtue of it's exclusion from your list, that if you were to use a RAM disk when archiving old VHS tapes that it does add chapter stops? I appreciate that it would mean that it would then have to be copied over to DVD -/+R using a PC, but this would get around the problem in question.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, this device would be my initial foray into this medium while I wait for Freeview-enabled boxes (with RAM support) to appear during the next few months. But still, I wouldn't fancy it if programmes from the archived tapes are just as linear as the originals due to the absence of chapter stops. Plus I would like to archive tapes without having to sit and watch through them all again, if the only way to add chapters was to do it manually during the archive process.

8. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    It is really a very silly oversight.

Only with a dvd ram disk you can put chapter stops manually as far as I remember from the product specs.I would encourage you to check their website though or cnet.If it wasnt for the chapter stops i would have bought it already.Also i would be against buying a samsung one as from the reviews I have read from other users I cant say that am impressed.

9. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Could you elaborate more on how to do that? as am keen to know.Thanks

10. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I think that specific discussion of this matter breaches the Ts & Cs of this site as it deals with copying copyrighted material.

However the same problem affects people who use rear projection TVs, or older/limited TVs which force them to connect a DVD player via the scart of their VCR.

Specific Macrovision scart cables can be sourced which get around this problem and would, in theory, address this issue also.

I would guess that with such a cable connected between the "output" scart and the "input" scart on the combo unit and by telling the DVD recorder portion to use the input scart as it's source. Though I'm no expert on this I would imagine that it would require more in the way of manual interraction (i.e. start DVD recording process, then press play on the VCR component) whereas there is probably some sort of built-in archiving function which automate this, but would as roadtorode has suggested won't allow production VHS tapes to be used.

11. gobstopper

gobstopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Chances are I would have done the same. Back to the drawing board, I guess...

12. roadtorode

roadtorode
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have ordered that Panasonic combo, so I will be able to post a review soon enough and report how I get on with archiving the kids VHS collection to DVD. I'm not sure that chapter marks will be a big deal for that sort of copy, but I will let you know how I get on. I expect by the end of the weekend, I'll have something to say on the matter ! :)

13. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    How big is the HD on the Pana one?

I think you should wait for the Freeview HDD recorders, saves you buying a Freeview PVR.

14. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  15. CheekyKid

CheekyKid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    If I play a cassette with a video cant I at the same time record it on a dvd with a dvd recorder? My tv has plenty of scart outputs.

16. gogsboy

gogsboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also considering the DVD/VCR option, can someone tell me if it is just as easy to hook up a standalone VCR and connect to a DVD recorder to transfer from VHS or are these all in one options better.

Or are they more for just space saving than anything else

Thanks

17. foneman

foneman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    yes, most modern dvdrecs are that simple - the main plus with a separate vcr is that a frame corrector can be used on really bad tapes...

all the rest is up to hassle and taste - do you really want an ancient VHS to be a visible part of your modern new DVD setup?? - note you *will* see this, any time you put in a DVD!

only the JVC MV1 so far has managed to hide it all away into a modern, stylish unit ...

A separate VCR can be hidden away behind smoked glass, along with the other stuff, and can be removed when no longer needed...