1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combo - Samsung VP-D6050i or what else?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Ak1s, Sep 23, 2004.

1. Ak1s

Ak1s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there!
    I am looking for a combo video/still device that will perform satisfactorily on both tasks. I know that this may not be possible mainly due to different lenes required, but I saw this Samsung VP-D6050i, and I thought that perhaps it solves the problem, since it's got 2 lenses. I am very much interested in 16:9 though, and this one seems to only provide a 'hack' for it, not real 16:9.

Has anyone seen/used the 6040i or the 6050i? If you've seen any reviews in magazines/online etc, can you please point me at the right direction? I haven't been able to find much on google.
    What do you think of latest Samsung camcorders in general?

link (Samsung UK):
    http://***********/55f4f

I am also open to suggestions on other camcorders that will be suitable. I have seen the Panasonic GS400, but the 4Mpixels still pic are achieved through interpolation - not great.

Thanks very much
    Akis
    :)

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't do it.

a) it looks like a baddie from star wars

b) samsung make excellent earth movers apparantly

c) buying a seperate digital camera and camcorder will cost you less and will do both jobs better

d) if you want 16:9 buy a sony HC40 (I've not heard any reports on SOny's earth movers) and if you really really need a 5mp digital stills (do you do much in the way of a3 printing?, no really!) buy the centon one at £199 (it's a rebadged pentax, sssh!)

e) the more is packed into something the more there is to go wrong.

f) thank me later

3. Ak1s

Ak1s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply.;)
    True but then again I don't consider well designed about 90% of the camcorders and cameras out there. I am more looking for functionality here.
    And very good LCDs and fridges! (OK, I made up the last bit)
    BUT the point is that I would like to be able to carry ONE device around that can do both jobs to a certain acceptable degree. I have had a Sony PC110 for a few years and I found myself taking many still pictures, simply because it was convenient! I thought that since 3-4 years passed, I should be able to buy a 4-5 Megapixel still and a mini-DV device ALL-IN-ONE!
    From a quick search on the web, I could not find whether the HC40 has got 'true' 16:9 or a digital effect (i.e. fake). And Memory Stick Duo??? Please, give me SD or MMC any day...I bought a 1 GB SD card for 70-something quid a couple of weeks ago, and it's got 9 MB/sec transfer rate (which I have tested).
    Agreed, although that's what engineering has been doing for the last 500 years! When there is a will there is a way.
    I can understand why companies like Nikon and Canon do not want to do combo devices, they don't want to canibalise into their lucrative camera market. Also similarly they don't provide serious video support in their digital still cameras (15 sec max anyone?) but the time has long come to stop carrying around 2 devices and a myriad of cables, batteries, tapes, filters etc and get one device that provides both functions in one elegant package.
    Akis

4. Ak1s

Ak1s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any suggestion on a device that perhaps can do this with decent quality? Has anyone used the Samsung mentioned above?

Thanks
    Akis

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Sorry to say, but I totally agree with Roy. If you want to take decent stills then get a stills camera, if you want decent video then get a DV camcorder!!!

Of course what you call decent quality stills may be far from what I would. If all you want to do is view the photos on a PC monitor then most of the newer cams will do a perfectly adequate job, but if you want high quality prints of a decent size then forget a camcorder.

Working out how to make everything last only 2 days past the warrenty :devil:

Unlikely to ever happen at a reasonable cost! The reason being that video is at a fairly low resolution compared to even a 2mp camera. Therefore there would need to be a large investment into the stills capabilities that many/most would just not want/need. This would have the obious disadvantage of pushing up the cost and therefore lowering the number of units sold.

Mark.

6. Ak1s

Ak1s

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...agreed, which brings me back neatly into the Samsung duocam 6050i...:)

It seems that they have not tried to run everything out of the same CCD and lens, but they combined 2 in 1! Two lenses, two CCDs (OK, even if the one for the stills it's of the 'compact' variety)

That's why I think it is interesting and I am just looking to find some reviews or people's experiences, since it is a unique device!

I am not sure of the end result of the 'marriage', but this approach should be applauded. They don't have the hang-ups of Canon/Nikon and the like, so they are trying to innovate, and I think this device is innovative, at least in the concept.

What do you think?