1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combining two pre-outs into one.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by pwiles1968, Jul 14, 2004.

1. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I currently have at home on demo a Roksan Candy MkIII Integrated amp, which I have only spent a little time with but am seriously considering getting, the only issue is getting this and the sub out from my AV amp into the ASW with only two inputs on the ASW, I am considering using a ‘Y’ adaptor to combine the L & R on the Roksan into a single out, my only concern is that this is basically shorting out the L & R would this be an issue?

I know this is a repeat thread but needed to make a decision by the weekend whether or not to split my AV system into AV and Stereo and at the moment this is the only stumbling block.

2. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I would also be interested in answers to this question, since I face the very same problem...

3. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I will keep the thread open for answers but it does not look like I will be going for a separate amp in the short term, I can not justify the extra money on the system for what I feel is quite a nominal improvement in sound quality if any at all, I am ready to duck the abuse but to be honest I did not feel that the Kandy was much better than my current system, This is not a reflection on that amp more I suppose a credit to the current amplification and another victory to the Law of Diminishing Returns.

Guess I will wait and upgrade the lot, to processor and power, well that is this weeks plan.

4. mike_cummi

mike_cummi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the ASW has high and low level inputs then the best thing to do would be to connect via low level from the AV amp and via high level from the roksan.

5. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Yes, but that way you'd be using the sub internal crossover, that will degrade the signal... maybe a lot, maybe a little, or a very little, but it will.
    In my case, I guess a lot, since my sub is not as good as the ASW... So I'd prefer using the pre-out of my stereo amp with the sub, and the sub out of my 5.1 amp with the very same sub...
    This way, the 5.1 amp does the crossover internally, which should be better than the one provided by the sub, and the stereo amp simply feeds a line level input into the sub.
    I think this is the way to get best sound quality. The sub output of the 5.1 amp goes in the left line level input of the sub, and the pre-out of the stereo amp, in the right. The problem is, since I have 2 pre-outs (left & right), is it dangerous to use a Y connector to combine both? If so, then I'd take the piece of advice given by mike_cummi, which is not bad at all, but I'd take it the other way around: high level input for the 5.1, and line level input for the stereo. Since the line level gives better sound, I'd reserve it for the stereo, which is more important for me.

6. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ASW only has two low level inputs. :thumbsdow

Cribero - You may will find if your sub has high level inputs you could hook it up in parallel to you speakers, one set of wires to the speakers one set to the sub, the sub input should be high impedance and should not affect the speakers or amp (amp will see pretty much the same impedance as speakers alone), that way you do not need to degrade the signal via the sub x-over.

I have sent a note to Roksan asking about the ‘Y’ connector, if they come back to me I will post a note. :smashin: