combining terrestrial and sky signal down a single cable run

C

Clarkie26

Hi,

I have recently moved into a new home and asked Sky to install a dish for me, turns out I needed an indepentant who wants £660 for the pleasure, with this in mind I am going to do it myself, but I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

1) If I combine both the Sky and terrestial signal to travel down a single cable run do I need;

1.1) a special splitter/filter at the other end or
1.2) if I run the cable into a standard dual port face plate without the splitter, will both the SKY and TV only pick up their frequencies and disregard the others?

2) Depending on the above being an answer of "Yes" to result 1.2, can I purchase a aerial amplifier with multiple outputs and distribute the single source (Sky and Terrestial) around my home, without signal degridation.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

davemurgatroyd2

Distinguished Member
Clarkie26 said:
Hi,

I have recently moved into a new home and asked Sky to install a dish for me, turns out I needed an indepentant who wants £660 for the pleasure, with this in mind I am going to do it myself, but I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with.

1) If I combine both the Sky and terrestial signal to travel down a single cable run do I need;

1.1) a special splitter/filter at the other end or
1.2) if I run the cable into a standard dual port face plate without the splitter, will both the SKY and TV only pick up their frequencies and disregard the others?
Yes see here http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page15.htm#combiner

To the second part the answer is a qualified yes providing reception from RF (in mono only and the lowest quality picture) is acceptable.

You need a good quality distribution amplifier plus if you intend using "Skylink" (where you can control the dodgibox from another room) make sure it will pass the supply voltage to the required room(s) again see the internet page above

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
2 question's though:-

1.) why do you need to be installed independently if it is a house? (a block of flats I could maybe understand). You should book another Sky visit for a second opinion, if there nothing more to the story that is!

2.) why do you want to use a combiner? There is always a way to get the Sky cable to your STB, under floorboards, trunking, white cable, etc. Combiner's could give you no end of trouble in the long run. The cabling is the most important part of the system so why compomise by joining it into aerial cable.

Most installs can be achieved with the cooperation of a Sky engineer without going independently. E.g. Offer to go into an attic to run the cables (we are not allowed), lift up carpet or floorboards before we turn up. If the dish is in the garden then use hope pipe to put the cable in, then bury it after the installer has left.

Offer to tip the engineer a tenner or so as soon as he knocks on your door if you know you have an arkward install. Personally I love a challenge but don't expect every Sky install to be covered by their "free standard installation" policy.

Cheers, Franc

Top Bottom