Combining hifi in a 7.1 setup - 2 amps, one pair of posh speakers...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DarwinsTerrier, Feb 9, 2014.

1. DarwinsTerrier

DarwinsTerrier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks, looking for a bit of advice...

After years in the hifi wilderness, I've just splashed out on a decent CD player, amp and speakers (Roksan K2 and Tannoy Precision 6.4, if you're interested). But, rather than fill the room with speakers, I'd like to use the Tannoys as the front two in my surround setup. Which may, or may not, require new receiver kit, because...

Chappy at Richer Sounds says we'd need a receiver with pre-outs - and they seem rather rare this side of shed loads of cash ;) But anyway, I can't see how passing the posh player's signal through another bit of kit on its way to the speakers won't degrade it somewhat.

So, question is, is there any reason why I can't simply wire the amp and the receiver, separately and directly, straight to the speakers - always remembering to be very very careful never to have both 'amps' on at once?

Alternatively, would something like a Beresford TC-7220 or other selector thingy be better than passing the signal in and back out the receiver? If I can't wire in the speakers directly, then some simple thing that switches which amp goes to them would seem next best. Or do I have to go the receiver-with-pre-out route?

Thanks!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,064
  3. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    I'm in the same situation and I'm planning on going the Beresford route. He is currently out of stock so I'm on the waiting list for the next batch due next week.

Admittedly this is a manual switch not automatic.

A receiver with pre-out would be nice but you'd still have the step of setting your hi fi volume to a fixed setting for watching films.

4. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    To complete this thread for me I now have the Beresford box and other then being manual operation it's spot on for the job. No obvious degradation in sound quality

5. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've done this previously, you will need an av amp with pre outs to make sense of it all - it's difficult without these, I can't think of a sensible way around without. Connecting two amps to a single set of speakers sounds like a disaster to me. Fine if you know what you're doing, but partners, children and friends won't know.

Connect up the stereo system independently of the av system. You'll want to use your nice amp with the fronts whether it's music or movies. Connect the rest of the surround speakers (centre, rears and sub) to the av amp. Then using the front pre-out terminals use a RCA phono cable to connect to an input of your choice on your stereo amp. Some modern stereo amps have a volume control bypass for this sort of thing so the av amp (when it's on) controls the volume. If you don't have this feature you'll need to set everything up with a set volume position on your stereo amp. I chose the 12 o'clock position. When you just want to listen to a CD you can turn the av amp off and just have your nice stereo setup. For surround sound, fire the whole lot up and enjoy. This method means you're not compromising the sinal from your CD player at all by running it through the av amp. Having to set the stereo amp volume control is a nuisance, but it's better than re-wiring every time.

Hope that helps!

Edit: looking at the user manual for the Roksan K2, there is a bypass switch on the back that allows you to use the amp as a simple power amp to connect to an av processor. No messing with adjusting the volume, no need for source selector switches, Problem solved!

6. Iain42

Iain42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,185
    I have a setup where I use my Naim XS2 with the bypass switch set to av, and it switched seamlessly between stereo to my fronts for music, and surround sound. My Yamaha av receiver does have pre-outs though front left and right wired to Naim av in.

All works well, especially with the Harmony all in one remote.

7. gary71

gary71

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Pre outs would be nice! When/if the av amp gets upgraded that will be on the list