Combining HDanywhere 4x4 matrix with 4x2 matrix

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by x1nick, Feb 8, 2014.

1. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Hi all

I'm currently in the process of testing a small upgrade to my HDMI setup, currently it consists of the following inputs:
    Media PC1
    Media PC2
    Sat
    Bluray player

And the following outputs:
    Living room
    Bedroom 1
    Bedroom 2
    Bedroom 3

For this I am using the HDanywhere HKM44-UK matrix with some extenders with next to no issues (besides some problems with extenders, but that's for another day).

Also have a HDanywhere 4x2 matrix (HKM42-UK) which is unused currently and want to expand my inputs to 6x4 using this matrix, allowing for an additional media pc and a Raspberry pi as testing/make use of the last input device :thumbsup:

I know this is generally a bad idea, but figured why not give it a go since I have all the kit available. I do want a 8x8 matrix but currently can't justify spending anymore on my AV setup especially considering the cost of these, recently missed out on a 16x16 matrix on eBay but that was a little too big for the rack! So want to make do with what I have for now.

Connected up as followed:
    4x2 Matrix
    Inputs:
    1: Raspberry Pi
    2: Media PC3
    3: Sat
    4: Bluray

Output:
    1: 4x4 Matrix Input 1
    2: 4x4 Matrix Input 2

4x4 Matrix
    Inputs:
    1: 4x2 Matrix Output 1
    2: 4x2 Matrix Output 2
    3: Media PC 1
    4: Media PC 2

Outputs:
    1: AMP1
    2: TV2
    3: TV3
    4: TV4

So it almost works, the only issue is output 1 of the 4x2 matrix has random white lines appearing on the picture 99% of the time when connected to the 4x4 matrix (see image below at end of this post). These white lines are sometimes just the odd one or two and other times cover the whole screen. Sometimes just get a screen of static. Once it appeared perfectly for a minute then the image wouldn't come back.

HDMI output 2 of the 4x2 matrix works perfectly with everything I have tested it with so far.

Everything is connected with Belkin PureAV HDMI leads.

What I have tested:
    Different HDMI leads between the two matrices
    Swapping output 1 and 2 around, issue remains on on output 1 of the 4x2 matrix.
    Tested connecting outputs 1 and 2 of the 4x2 matrix to outputs 3 and 4 of the 4x4 matrix
    Tested connecting TV directly to output 1 of the 4x2 matrix, works perfectly
    Different sources, all have the same issue

EDIT: one thing I just noticed was the output 1 LED on the 4x2 matrix is significantly dimmer than the other LEDs, this is the case if its connected to the other matrix or direct to the TV. Could the output be faulty?

If this didn't work on either of the outputs I'd probably give up and call it a day. But the fact it's working with one and not the other is whats bugging me. Anyone got any ideas?

[​IMG]

And if anyone wonders what the current test setup looks like.... need to get this cleared up before I get shouted at :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. Mido73

Mido73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

off topic, I'd like to ask you about your experience with the 4x4 matrix + HMDI extenders. What issues do you face with this setup? how you route the IR signal? I'm considering this setup but not sure if it'll work properly.

Please advise.

Regards,
    Mido

3. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Generally the extenders work fine, I have been using cablesson branded extenders over dual catX. The issues I see or have had:
    - Do not use CCA cable!
    - My cat6 runs close (about 5cm) by to the mains lightining circuit meaning about 50% of the time when a light is turned on or off I will lose the image for a second.
    - £1 HDMI leads are a waste of time, yes I understand that HDMI is HDMI, but the quality control of these cables is none existent sometimes they worked fine, other times not. The Belkin leads I use cost me £2.30 each and resolved issues with hand shaking, flickering images and snow artifacts on the image. For that extra £1.30 a cable reduced the amount of faffing around returning cables and wondering what was going wrong! Plus I haven't had a single connector fall off on these!
    - I power down all kit when not in use, every now and again the extenders or the matrix, not sure which it is will flat out refuse to work. If I power up the extenders and a few seconds later power the matrix that resolves that issue. Maybe because I'm using cheap extenders?

IR routing is something that I have yet to do, but will most likely be using an old touchscreen phone as a remote and a Raspberry Pi to send out IR signals to devices.

I think HDBaseT is probably the way to go personally, the cost is a lot higher though, extenders generally start at £270!
    Though UKHDMI have a Cablesson HDBaseT extender for £180 which I can't find any reviews for!
    Have you considered an all in one matrix?
    I considered one but for my planned setup they wouldn't be much use as want the AV amp in the same rack as the hdmi switch , then the extender connects to the output of the AV amp.

4. Mido73

Mido73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your feedback.

HDBaseT is awesome, but as you said, very expensive! I considered buying all in one set, but either very expensive for reliable brands (like HDanywahere Multiroom+ £1500), or affordable but not very good reviews like Monoprice 4x4 Matrix ($300). So, I'm considering going with HDconnectivity 4x4 HDMI matrix (£280) and use their extenders (£130 each), this will be much cheaper, but probably with some issues around it.

Regarding your AV AMP setup, how do you extend the Audio?

5. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Probably won't be perfect, but I'm sure it will work!

How do you mean extend the audio?

6. Mido73

Mido73
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you said you connect the AV amp putput to the extender, so how you connect the speakers to the amp?

7. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    The plan will be to use long speaker cable to the locations (I estimate between 7-15m each run)

Plan on using either proper speaker cable or mains twin and earth depending on budget when I get round to this!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Integrating an HDMI equipped AVR into a whole house solution can take a bit of careful planning in terms of what audio you want where!

Joe

9. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Figure it's just going to work as it currently does, AVR is currently located with each TV.

I am simply moving the AVR box to a different location.

Probably won't be this simple in the long run but that's for a different thread...

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    If you centralise your Sources you will want to ensure all end points support the same audio capabilities no matter if the AVR's are centralised or In-zone.

Joe

11. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    I have had problems with that, as one location only supports stereo (TV speakers).

My solution to this was just to not allow one source to used in two locations. Seems crazy for anyone to be watching the same thing in two locations!

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,519
    Or stick a budget HD audio capable Soundbar in the TV zone

Joe

13. x1nick

x1nick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    Did some more testing this morning. Found an old cheap 4x2 matrix which I had in the loft and connected this in the place of the HDanywhere 4x2 matrix.

Works as I expected! Just this cheap matrix does not support 3D and is incredibly slow at switching.

Anyone got any ideas?