Combining freeview + free sat on 1 cable but to many rooms

iKustomize

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I guess this has been covered a million times, and i am fairly new to aerial/sat setups ect, i have a basic knowledge on them, what i am trying to do is send sat signal + uhf signal down 1 cable which is found seems fine using a diplexer, i am not overly interested in sky but if it works on my planned setup then its a bonus, however i want to send it to 6 rooms, i have read up on "loftboxes" and devices alike, however most people say they support sky to 1 room only but not freesat, also read that is it not easy or even pretty much impossible to split 1 lnb input so i thought if i get a octa lnb and follow the shoddy diagram below which i added (used 4 as a example) would it work?

Or have i miss read or read incorrect information about anything i mentioned above.

Also if this method would work.. would i need a powered amplifier between the aerial and all the diplexers.

I am open to all critisism of my low knowledge lol and also any advice on any other ways of completing my task.

Also final question if i sent 2 of the single cables from 2 diplexers to the living room tv would it work as the lnb2 input for freesat recording.

Thanks
iKustomize

REPASSAC

A multiswitch is what I would use. However there are several types so you must have an idea of what you want to support - freesat and Sky+ are easy, and I would suggest a dish with a quatro lnb, which is what I am using. together with faceplates to split the two at each room..

Some multiswitches support Sky Q but I think I saw a post that mentioned that these cannot be combined with terrestrial (would someone confirm or contradict this please)

Freeview and Sky Q cannot easily or cheaply be sent down the same cable - Sky Q and terrestrial TV frequencies overlap and conflict

Some multiswitches do not need a quattro lnb and can use a standard quad universal lnb. Quattro lnbs are not available to fit Sky type dishes and a standard "circular" dish is required -

iKustomize

Novice Member
I am not wanting sky at all, just freesat box and or freeview box in the rooms(or just direct into built in tv) option to be decided on which room has which box in future, i just checked multi switches and they just seem to be a sat input but no aerial

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
The cost of multiple all-copper cables to each room is not great if done d-i-y and will be much more more versatile.
They could all terminate in a loft space or similar and be patched with the required feed from LNB or aerial(s)?

Each combiner and splitter will lose signal on both UHF and satellite. So not good. UHF can readily be amplified and split multiple times relatively cheaply.

Combiners and splitters cost money, too.

Multiswitches aren't cheap and need a bigger dish than 'normal' to make up for some of the losses inherent in the simplest ones. They all have 5 inputs (one for UHF/DAB/FM) and 4 for the LNB - quattro (or quad on some).

$ky Q lnbs aka wideband LNBs use all the frequencies that the cable can carry; one cable for H and another for V. $ky Q boxes can, though, also be made to work in a Unicable mode that AIUI 'calls' for the transponder frequency/polarisation to be sent to the tuner (and multiple tuners) from the headend in bigger installations and these are sent via a single cable that carries UHF TV, DAB and FM radio.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Freesat and Sky are essentially the same. The complication with both is that you have to send a signal to the LNB to change the polarisation of the signal for different channels. As you can imagine, if you have multiple receivers - either Freesat or Sky you need some method of doing this - and this is what the multi-switches do.

Bearing in mind that Freesat and Freeview carry a similar mix of channels, do you need both sent to all rooms?

If you are pulling in new cabling (And standard UHF co-ax will be no good for this application as the losses are too high) then why not pull in multiple runs to give yourself some flexibility in the future?

winston2010

Your diagram is basically OK except that you need a splitter on the aerial to feed your diplexers. Whether you need a powered or passive splitter depends upon the terrestrial signal levels where you live.

HeadBanger

Take a look at a distribution box that will combine the signals for you and diplex/triplex the signals to ‘distribute’ around your house.

Once installed you the just need diplex or triplex plates fitted in the rooms you want the feeds in order to split the feeds back to their original frequencies.

I have a Triax DDU box in the loft to feed 8 rooms which combines satellite, FM/DAB and terrestrial TV into one cable (2 cables are required in the lounge/main room - see website for details on why). It also powers my aerial amplifier. Note that it only has 4 satellite inputs/outputs (2 of which go to main room) and these will not support wideband LNBs (Sky Q) but standard, unicable and unicable II LNBs work fine. So you can only feed 3 rooms via the DDU with satellite (but main has a dual feed for two tuners).

HB

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom