Combining different speakers to receiver?

knoxy

Hi guys,
Probably a very stupid question but I have a Denon 1909 amp and too many "zones". I already have the living room wired up 5.1 no problem but I have a couple of addition places I would like to hook up to, a pair in the kitchen and a pair outside.

I've got the speakers installed and they're working okay but at the minute I'm having to physically switch out the plugs on the back of the receiver if I want to listen to music in the other two zones. Not really ideal :)

Is it possible for me to "combine" the wiring into each plug for the front right and left speaker inputs on the back of the receiver? i.e. basically take 3 strands of speaker cable, twist them together and insert into a banana plug.

The speakers in the living room are different and more powerful than the ones I have in the other areas.

Or is there some sort of switching device (like you get with say having too many scarts than exist on the back of your tv) I can use?

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated :)
Knoxy

dante01

Distinguished Member
Hi guys,
Probably a very stupid question but I have a Denon 1909 amp and too many "zones". I already have the living room wired up 5.1 no problem but I have a couple of addition places I would like to hook up to, a pair in the kitchen and a pair outside.

I've got the speakers installed and they're working okay but at the minute I'm having to physically switch out the plugs on the back of the receiver if I want to listen to music in the other two zones. Not really ideal :)

Is it possible for me to "combine" the wiring into each plug for the front right and left speaker inputs on the back of the receiver? i.e. basically take 3 strands of speaker cable, twist them together and insert into a banana plug.

The speakers in the living room are different and more powerful than the ones I have in the other areas.

Or is there some sort of switching device (like you get with say having too many scarts than exist on the back of your tv) I can use?

Hope this makes sense, any help appreciated :)
Knoxy

If you combine the wires then you are effectively driving six speakers simultaneously from the same terminals and power stage. Apart from this denying you any control over which of the three pairs are active at any one time, you are reducing the amount of power to each pair by up to a third.

The AVR 1909 does have the ability to send the stereo single to a second powered zone. You'd be better doing this and using the second powered zone to power two sets of speakers via an additional amp. You'd only need a relatively cheap stereo integrated amp with two sets of speaker outputs.

Yes you can get speaker switches that enable you wire up more than one pair to any single output, but you'll still have to do the switching manually.

knoxy

Ahh great, all is not lost :)

Looks like this should do the trick? QED SS30 3 way parallel speaker switch

All I need to do is hook up all of my speakers to this unit, get hold of some more speaker cable, another two sets of banana plugs and hook it up to my left and right front inputs on the back of my amp?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom