Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Combining a FMJ A22 and AVR300

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by phaigh, May 20, 2004.

Tags:
  1. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a FMJ A22 (not sure exactly which model it is) which i want to keep for stereo music in my system, but will be adding the AVR300 for surround sound and DVD-A output.

Is there a way I can output from the AVR300 to the A22 so that I can keep the front stereo speakers connected to the A22 (and keep the FMJ CD player directly connected to the A22)? I'd think that the AVR300 would have some form of output that I could connect to the A22 via an interconnect cable...

I really don't want to have to replace the A22, since it's performance with the FMJ CD player is simply amazing.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Cheers,

Paul.

2. sticker

sticker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,
    You can do this easily by utilising the front pre outs on the AVR300 into say the aux input on the A22. Connect your speakers and CD to the A22. I'm not certain, but I believe that the volume setting for the fronts on the A22 can be synchronised with the AVR300 automatically, perhaps Arcam or someone that has an A22 can confirm

HTH

John

3. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, that sounds really good.

Now to go get a demo!

Cheers,

Paul.

4. ruben20

ruben20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I own an A32 which is equipped with processor mode. That enables the amp to function as an amplifier(solid state). Then you can use the avr 300 combined with the amplification units of the A32/A22 to drive your fronts.From the specs on the arcam site it's unclear to me if the a22 is fitted with this function too. A quick email to arcam will do the trick, or let JD answer the question here :laugh: .

Ruben

5. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes it works fine doing that.

I use my A22 with a Marantz 5300.

When using the A22 for a movie press the tape button as well to put it into processor mode.

It works fine then just press CD to go back

Steff

6. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, thanks.

What does that do then?

7. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What this does is... oh someone give a technical explanation.. i'm going to look an idiot trying to explain it :)

anyway here goes.... It sets it to a fixed level so that it just passes through the signal from the processor or AV-Amp. This way you just have to change the volume on the AV-amp without having to adjust the volume on the A22 to ensure that they match.

One of the things putting me off is the thought that the remote will control all so if you want to turn just one of the two amps off hard luck i would guess pressing off on either remote would turn them both off. Also if the A22 is not in "processor" mode then turning up the volume for that will also turn the AVR300 volume up if it was turned on?

I still can't decide on a Rotel RSP-1068 and P10/3 or P25/3 or a AVR300 :)

I think the avr300 route is a great way to go and will be a darn good solution. Just cannot decide which way to go.

Steff

8. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perfect, makes a lot of sense.

Thanks

Paul.

9. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, ok here goes according to the manual on our A22...

Press the processor / Tape1 button and see what the display says.

If it says "pro" it's configured to be the processor input.

If it says "tape" press and hold the mode button and press the processor button whilst still holding the mode button. It should now say pro. So you changed this input from Tape 1 to Pro cessor.

If it says Pro2 press and hold the mode button and press the processor button twice it should be till it says pro.

So once configured it's then just a case of pressing the processor/tape 1 button whenever you want to use it basically as a 2 channel power amp for the AV amp/processor.

So using the cd is as before just a case of pressing the CD button.

Hope you have fun playing :) you can do this with any AV amp that has pre-outs for the Front L & R.

When it's in processor mode and you are using it with the AV-amp or processor for the first time just run through the speaker setup again on the AV Amp or processor again as the levels for your fronts will be fixed, but the level is probably different to the amps in the AV-amp.

Hopefully that is everything covered.

Steff :thumbsup:

10. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Please let us know the stereo sound difference?
    Barend

11. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I've got the AVR300 on home demo for the weekend, but I don't seem to be able to get the processor mode on the A22 to work quite how I think it should.

I've connected the Pre-outs on the AVR300 to the AUX L+R on the A22 - if I select 'Phono/Aux' on the front, and turn it up, I get output from the AVR300, so that's right.

But when I press 'Proc' (in proc mode, not tape mode) I don't get anything from the L+R speakers at all (confirmed on the level setup screen of the AVR300)

Do I need to connect the preouts to a different connection to the A22 or something like that?

I really should dig out the manual for the A22, but I don't think I've got it any more - anyone know of a website with a pdf or seomthing of it - I looked on Arcam's website, but no dice so far.

Cheers,

Paul

12. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think from memory re the a85 the preouts connect to tape ,not auxilery .

13. phaigh

phaigh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That was it - thanks!

14. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a similar setup using the A22 in PRO mode to Bi-wire my JMLab Electras.

But it would be nice to do the following:
    1 - Connect the pre-outs of the A22 to some input on the AVR 300
    2 - Take it out of the PRO mode and set it to Phono. Play a record.

I tried this but had to set the volume in the AVR to 100DB's and the volume of the A22 very high, in order to achive some 50db's from the rear speakers, connected to the AVR 300.
    Of course I never switched on the front speakers on the A22, with those settings. Would certainly blow them or my ears...

The whole point is that Arcam should have provided the option to move the phono board to the AVR300.

Buying a phono preamp is too expensive and probably inferior to the Phono in the A22, or at least of a a different tonality.

So, vinyl has to stay in pure stereo. The purists will thank the Lord for that, but there are some Nimbus Records recorded in the BBC/NRDC UHJ surround, way back in the seventies and early eighties. I'm going to transfer one to CD, just to see (sorry, hear) the result.

15. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    You should be able to achieve what you want to do by taking the tape out of the A22 to one of the inputs on the AVR300.

Then select the phono input and tape (i.e record phono) on the A22. This will send the Phono input to the tape outputs at line level (i.e you don't need to turn the volume up to get it loud enough)

Next you need to select the input you have connected the tape out to on the AVR300. The AVR300 will process the audio so you get surround and it will pass L/R back to the A22 via the tape input. This works by using the tape loop as an effects loop. (see we do think about these things really)

I have not personally tryed this on an A22 but it works on an A32 which has the same set up for processor mode.

Regards,
    Andrew

16. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you Andy. It does indeed work, as intended!!! I had thought of doing it before, but considered that the tape output was cut off when in PRO mode.

Anyway it is a pleasure to know that ARCAM supports their loyal customers (since 1995) even during weekends, and by a member of management..

This is is 180º opposite to the attitude of your distrubutor (or ex-distributor) "Esoterico" here in Portugal who did not even bothered to install a firmware upgrade and sent me the Internet links to do it.
    Since I, once way back in 1978, managed to connect a terminal in Vancouver to a computer in Montreal, via a dialed line, decided to carry the procedures myself, and recommend that ARCAM make the software available directly to customers with minimal computer literacy, since the cable is available even in supermakets... :clap:

17. Crespotav

Crespotav
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When you connect an AVR300 to an A22 Amplifier via the so called A/V mode, which I prefer to call PROCessor , because the word it shows in the Display is PROC, do not be surprised when calibrating the speaker levels that you have to increase the Front Level by at least 6 db relative to rears connected to the AVR 300. Of course you need an SPL meter to do this properly.

According to the specs of the FMJ A22 (manual page 13) the sensitivity on this input is only 680mV versus the 740mV of the Power amp input (with the gain switch set to Normal). The gain for the AVR 300 depends on the volume set and cannot be documented. However an indication for a given Volume setting could be provided (for instance at 75 DB.).

I have JM Lab Electras 915.1 as fronts driven by the A22 with a delay of 2.90 meters and angled 50º from the sweet spot. For the rears I use a pair of B&W DM7’s (quite old, 1978). Placed at the side 1.70 from the same spot, rigorously at 90º angle, due to room restrictions.

The Electras have an Efficiency of 91 Db’s . The B&W's “need 10 volts for an s.p.l of 95 db at 1 metre". I do not know how to convert this to equivalent modern specifications.
    I was always told by dealers and read in reviews that these are inefficient speakers with a very complex crossover. By the way it is funny to know that one of the first reviews of DM7 was Mr. J. Mahul, none other than the owner and mastermind of Focal-JMLab, in a French “Son magazine” of 1978. This was the first implementation of Kevlar in a 20 cm woofer/mid.

I think these findings might be of interest to people with similar arrangements. Rear speakers are often different from the front ones.

If you use a power amplifier like the P90 this will probably not applicable…