Combing with Sony NVP-930

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by IanThornton, Oct 15, 2004.

1. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I've just played the Little Britain DVD on my Sony 930 (Progressive component feed into Panasonic PW5 Plasma) and have noticed the horizontal-scrolling credits at the end of each episode are BADLY combing.

This strikes me as a bit of an obvious defect (it's not showing the same problem when I play it on my cheapo non-progressive Panasonic DVD player in the bedroom).

Is there any way to get rid of this or is this an artifact of interlaced->progressive conversion that I just need to live with?

Ian.

2. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,239
    That can't be good for your hair or your scalp.

Seriously though it may be down to the method that the deinterlacer in the Sony uses. Try the same disc on a higher spec machine like say the Arcam DV27a which has the SIL504 deinterlacer and see if it does the same.

3. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the tip on the Arcam ...

However, just tried something this morning. I switched the DVD player to output interlaced to see if the sideways credits would also trip up the Plasma's de-interlacer. Seems the Panny has no problem and no combing was visible. I flipped the Sony back into Progressive mode and lo and behold, the problem had disappeared (i.e. nice solid text rolling past). A couple of stops and starts again and it was still fine. However, as soon as I hit the DVD-Menu button and fast-forwarded back to the same scene the problem re-appeared. The only way to fix the problem seems to be to flip the DVD to interlaced then back to progressive. Weird (and very very annoying) ...

Ian.

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Have you tried changing the progressive scan option in the Sony 930 menu from Auto to Video (or vice-versa)?

5. IanThornton

IanThornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bing! That's fixed it ... can't believe I missed that one. Thanks Ihan :smashin:

Ian.