1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combined Hi-fi/Home Cinema - best speakers?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Adele, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Adele

Adele

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there.

I've already posted on the TV and Amps forums, but my latest problem (one of many) is on a choice of speakers!

I'm wanting a fairly good hi-fi/surround sound package using as far as possible the same kit for each.

Proposed kit for both hi-fi and surround sound:

My existing Marantz CD63 (or new NAD C521) CD Player
    NEW Toshiba SD210E DVD player
    NEW Denon AVR 1602 OR Marantz SR4200 (or 5200 if funds allow)
    Existing Sony Playstation 2
    Existing Panasonic Video Recorder (don't have model details with me)
    Existing Grundig Sky Digibox
    NEW 28" Nicam W/S TV (having great difficulty choosing- see TV threads!)

I have no idea about speakers. I'm looking for a few suggestions to be auditioned - all help greatly appreciated! My requirements are:

Front speakers (& sub?) that are good for both Hi Fi and home cinema. Must be fairly small (and shielded) as space is a big issue - they'll have to be fairly close to both the TV AND walls.

(I currently have a pair of fairly old JPW speakers which are great for Hi-Fi, but getting on a bit (8 or 9 years old) - I'm sure speaker technology's probably bounded ahead by now!)

Rear speakers that are small, discreet and wall mountable.

Do I really need a centre speaker? Would fronts/rears/sub do?

My budget's about £1000 for all the speakers (not including stands). Music handling of prime importance - good cinema sound nice but secondary. The room's fairly small so I don't need anything TOO powerful, and nothing too big - small & discreet would be nice!

Please point me in the right direction for when I visit my local shop!

many thanks,
    Adele.

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    The ubiquitous Kef 2005 eggs seem to be the obvious choice to put on your shortlist for around £700. They're small and shielded and they sounded pretty good to me for the short duration I heard them.

There is also a Boston/Rel package for about £1000.

Cheers,
    Liam

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    YES, YES, YES..............!!
    Why would you want to leave out the centre channel when the equipment you are thinking of buying is capable of d/d (5.1).............the centre speaker is one of the most important speakers in the system.........!

NO, NO, NO,

First a good sub REL/M&K £500/£600 that gives you £400/£500 for F/C/R........... booshelfs for the F/R what ever make of F/R you choose get the same make for the centre (timbre matching)

Plenty of companies out there.........Mission, Tannoy, B&W, KEF, Mordant Short, Eltax.............Pricerunner/unbeatable good for bargins......forums/hardware reviews for opinions.......always have a good demo, take a DVD or CD along to the demo something you know really well.......instead of watching /listening to something you don't know.........!!

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the B&W 601s3 fronts and the B&W LCR60 S3 centre. They sound the dogs ********. I've just sold my mission 77ds rears so i'm looking for a new set. Bw are bringing out some 600s3 smaller then the 601s3 at the end of jan or early feb, i'll use them