Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Combined car radio/cassette/CD player?

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by Bert Coules, Apr 10, 2005.

1. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    A very naive question, asked on behalf of a friend: she wants to replace her elderly car radio/cassette player, and wonders if anyone makes a single unit which combines radio, cassette and CD player (self-contained, rather than with a separate changer.)

If such a thing does exist, does anyone have any recommendations as to make or model?

Alternatively, is there a way of plugging a portable CD player into the car audio system and making use of the existing amp and speakers?

Many thanks in advance,

Bert
    http://www.bertcoules.co.uk

2. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Bert

Whilst looking for a cd/mp3/wma player I am certain I saw one on a car audio site somewhere - I will keep searching my history in case it's still there. Meanwhile a quick google threw up only two results. A JVC KW -XC777 which is available in UK but is a double DIN unit :( . There is also a Sanyo FXCD-550 which only seems to be available on US sites unfortunately.

Will get back to you if I find any more info. Good luck with your hunt.

Bev

3. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Bev,

Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think that my question was so daft, nobody would answer...

I'm grateful for the information. Does "Double DIN" refer to the sheer physical size of the JVC, which looks to me to be twice as deep as a normal car radio/cassette unit?

Both the JVC and the Sony seem quite pricey. It's possible that my friend would rather stick with the temporary arrangement she uses at present: a portable CD player and a couple of little battery-powered speakers. The sound's OK but not a patch on a proper built-in system, though better speakers would presumably help in that respect.

Thanks again. If you do come across anything else, I'd certainly appreciate hearing about it.

Bert

4. Bev478

Bev478

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi Bert

Yes - the double DIN means it's physically twice the height of a normal head unit. Just found a PIONEER FH-P4100R - but again the same problem - also it's £350 :thumbsdow

(Should probably have mentioned this earlier but was trying to think where I had seen the combined head unit and forgot the second part of your post :oops: ) For a while I have used an attachment which plugs into a portable cd player - but the other end is a "cassette tape" which goes into the in-car system. Also use it on my bike which has inbuilt stereo. So everything comes out through the car/bike speakers. I got it as part of a kit, but have seen them seperately for just a few pounds. Now I have an mp3 player I can use it with that as well - just plugs into headphone socket :thumbsup:

Edit - Mine was a Goodmans but have just looked in Argos catalogue & they do a Ross car cassette adaptor for £9.99 :thumbsup:

Bev

5. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Bev,

That Ross unit looks just the thing - I'll pass on the details.

Argos do a Goodmans one too: it plugs into the lighter socket and powers the CD player without batteries. I believe my friend would prefer the simplicity of just one connection cable, though.

Many thanks.

Bert

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,862
    I've got one of those cassette adapters lying around somewhere, never been used. If you want to PM me your address Bert, you're welcome to it.

I may even still have the cassette player that I took out of a year old car some time back. I'll check the bowels of the garage & let you know if you think she may be interested.

Aux inputs are making a big comeback with ICE manufacturers courtesy of the iPod explosion so it shouldn't be too hard to source a suitable new unit. Trouble is they're somewhat expensive. Example here, £136 for the head unit & another £52.50 for the aux input! :eek:

7. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    That's enormously kind of you. I've sent you a PM.

I'm sure she would. Thanks so much.

I hadn't thought of that, but I suppose it was inevitable. Presumably too it's only a matter of time before cassette decks disappear entirely from new units, overtaken by all this new(ish) technology...

Bert

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    there are a few DOuble DIN units i have seen for CD and cassete, You can get some bargain changer system with cassete head units these days, under £100......... and i have CD and IIRCmini disc in a standard head unit JVC

9. Bert Coules

Bert Coules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    I hadn't realised they'd got quite that cheap. I don't think my friend is interested in anything quite that high-tech, but I'll certainly pass that on.

Bert

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218