1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Combined Camera+Tapeless Camcorder: Advice Please

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by ap69, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hello all
    Am thinking about buying a new digital camera and camcorder, and thought it might be better (and cheaper!) to combine the two.

Am considering purchasing the Sanyo tapeless camcorder, so would welcome any helpful advice from you clever peeps, such as:
    1. Are the tapeless camcorders as good as (or even better) than Mini DV camcorders, in terms of reliability, picture quality, battery life, etc?
    2. How good are the cameras on these camcorders - comparable to a stand-alone digital camera?
    3. Should I have any worries about buying tapeless, e.g. is the technology still "unstable"?
    4. Any thoughts on the better models - I am looking for reasonably high quality (although obviously not professional) as I have a 43" plasma I wish to view the movies/stills through.

Many thanks in advance

2. lurcher

lurcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    These are just my thoughts, buy cheap buy twice.

1.Short answer no, at the moment mini dv best choice for pic quality, editing flexibility, having said that the latest generation of tapeless camcorders (hard drive mpeg 2 are catching up).
    2. Improving all the time but max reolution is prob 3megapix at the mo. Dedicated digital cameras are available that take higher resolution pics.
    3.Well I have a Panasonic Mini Dv 3 chip camcorder which is excellent but that hasn"t prevented me from ordering a JVC MG 50 Hard drive camcorder which I will use for a different application. I know its not up there with the panny in termns of pq but 7hrs recording to the hard drive is useful to me.
    4.Look at the reviews on the JVC hard drive models - but as always it depends what you are willing to pay, hense my opening line.

Good luck

3. ap69

ap69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15

Not the answers I was hoping for but thanks anyway!