Combine new speakers with existing flootstanders or....

PHC

Standard Member
I'm at the fairly early stage of putting together an audio system for my new house.

With regard to the speakers, I am wondering whether it might be sensibe to buy (i) some kind of complete package (like KEF eggs or MS Genies, both of which I like and would fit the room nicely) or (ii) buy additional speakers to go with the existing MS206 floorstanding speakers that I have and build a 5.1 package around them (MS0206s would be front L-R, so I'd need centre, surrounds and sub).

There doesn't seem to be much info out there on the MS206s but these are what they look like at least http://www.cinenow.com/us/materiel.php3/tid,4/id,983/

I am not sure whether the MS206s are considered to be any good (probably not) nor how easy it would be to get speakers to compliment the MS206s.

Anyone have any thoughts? With a budget of, say, £600 would you build a system around the MS206s or just buy something like the Genies?

I realise that there is not much context or detail above, but I'm just looking for some general thoughts really, nothing too detailed or considered.

Cheers!

Phil

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
A friend of mine built a 7.1 system which included a piar of big Kef Q9's floorstanders and a 5.1 Kef 2005.2. It was not long before the centre speaker was replaced by a matching Kef Q series centre, the inbalance was so noticeable, and even today I feel, but have said nothing the system is just not right. I would stick with your MS floor standers if I could get a good match for the rest of the system.
Morduant Short do make great speakers, it's something about the Kef's I feel is lacking, this was hammered home at the Bristol Hi-Fi show where Kef really went to town promoting their new eggs, yeap something was lacking. I have never heard the Genies demonstrated so I can not comment, I think that's what you need to do, go down a good retailer with demo rooms and listen.

PHC

Standard Member
Andy98765 said:
A friend of mine built a 7.1 system which included a piar of big Kef Q9's floorstanders and a 5.1 Kef 2005.2. It was not long before the centre speaker was replaced by a matching Kef Q series centre, the inbalance was so noticeable, and even today I feel, but have said nothing the system is just not right. I would stick with your MS floor standers if I could get a good match for the rest of the system.
Morduant Short do make great speakers, it's something about the Kef's I feel is lacking, this was hammered home at the Bristol Hi-Fi show where Kef really went to town promoting their new eggs, yeap something was lacking. I have never heard the Genies demonstrated so I can not comment, I think that's what you need to do, go down a good retailer with demo rooms and listen.
Thanks for the reply. The potential for imbalance was what I thought might be the biggest issue, so thanks for affirming that with your experience.

You have got me thinking though - perhaps buy the Genies and try them with the existing speakers as a 7.1 system. If it doesn't work, just stick with the Genies as a 5.1 system.

Demos will be a sure thing in due course.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips OLED+935 impressions, Denon AVC110 Review, Film Reviews, News and More...
Top Bottom