Combi Boiler takes ages for warm water

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jezzerr, Aug 15, 2012.

1. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi

Ive moved into a rented house and before we moved in the landlord put a combi boiler in never had a house with a combi so all new to us,The boiler is in the bathroom and when ever we turn the hot tap on it seems to take ages to warm the water,There is a delay between me turning the tap on and the boiler coming on. The boiler is a Greenstar 27cdi and the setting for the water is set to e and should be on preheat mode,The display normally sits on 52 but i have no idea what the 52 means on the display,I thought if it was in preheat then you should get hot water pretty fast i can count at least 30 seconds before it tuns from cold to a bit warm.

2. Palladio

Palladio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Not sure if this is relevent but when we had our first Combi Boiler fitted we could never get enough hot water in the bath even though the sink taps were OK. It turned out that the pressure of the hot tap in the bath was too great. Solution was to run the bath tap much slower as the combi boiler couldn't cope with it on at full pelt, not enough power to heat the water that quick. Just a thought.

3. Crackdown1976

Crackdown1976
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi mate

Must be the way these new boilers are ours does the same you run the tap and it takes what seems a life time before it gets hot.
    The boiler is either set to constant or timed for the heating to come on which is when the numbers rise and at any other time if the heating is on or not you still get hot running water it just takes a bit of the water to run hot.
    Ours is checked by british gas and is normal so I hope this helps.

4. Devil On Your S

Devil On Your S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Your boiler is in eco mode, you need to turn that off in the flap on the boiler. You can download manuals from the Worcester website.

5. blasted

blasted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    That sounds normal to me.

6. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ummm well then i think im stuck with this then by the looks of this,Nothing gets better if i turn down the mains a bit so its slower coming out of the taps.

I hope its not normal as you can use a bathroom sink full of water before it gets warm.

Its not in eco mode ive made sure of that,To be in eco mode the button saying eco has to be lit up which its not,But i now have put it in eco mode no point in the boiler preheating when you dont get the water warmer any quicker,When the boiler did come on to preheat about 6am the number on the displlay went up to 62.

I cant even find out how many times a day the boiler comes on in preheat mode,So far when i need to use the hot tap its gone back down to temperature.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  7. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    It can take a little while for a combi boiler to get the water hot. You'll have to get used to it. Do make sure the pressure in the system is correct though. If it is too low it could cause issues.

8. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi I think the pressure is fine but ill make sure ill find out if its correct.

Now what temperature number should it be set on for the hot water would this make any difference the numbers goes like this Min 1 2 3 4 e 6 Max

9. wongataa

wongataa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +549
    This will depend on the boiler. You will have to find the instructions and see what they say. On the boiler where I live you can't change the hot water temperature.

10. Jamezinho

Jamezinho
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,353
    I had the same issue with the Baxi combi boiler in my old house. You needed to run the hot tap for 20-30 seconds before the water would warm up.

I guess it's par for the course with most combi boilers, something you have to get used to.

11. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Pretty standard I think. Mine takes much less time for the kitchen tap (right next to the boiler), than the bathroom taps (much further away).

My guess is the bathroom is not that close so it takes a while for the boiler to register that the tap is on and then a delay for the heated water to actually go through the pipes.

12. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Another classic AVF first world 'problem.'

13. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    So what if he's in a new house and he wants to know if he can get his water faster by changing settings then what's wrong with that?

We can all talk about how our problems are trivial compared but I doubt anyone here is about to sell all their stuff and move to Africa and plough that money into solving their problems.

If anyone does do that then I salute them and they are a better person than most, but I doubt anyone is in a position to judge here.

14. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I wasn't suggesting anyone move anywhere, rather that 30 seconds to wait for warm water isn't exactly an 'age'...

That's all...

15. Ruperts slippers

Ruperts slippers
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,188
    You have to remember the cold water at around 12c must go thru the hot water heat exchanger then eventually you'll get the hot coming thru,for that boiler you'll get a 35c temp rise at a flow rate of 12.3 litres per min....
    So 30 secs or a basin full of water is normal and nothing to worry about...

16. nonumb

nonumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Takes ages is surely just a modern way of saying takes longer than I would ideally like? I'm sure he's not suffering madly with his' problem' but if it's an easy fix why not ask?

17. monkey_boy69

monkey_boy69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    We have a 24i version of the same boiler. It's fine & the wait for hot water I see as normal. The first load of water out the tap is obviously the water sat in the pipes before hot water comes out but you just let it run for a short time then it'll run hot. If it's never getting properly hot then I'd speak to the landlord but our water gets so hot you can't put your hand under it. We were told that our boiler would probably be too small for the size of our house but it works a treat and the central heating is spot on too.

18. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok thanks for all your help those that have been posting i think its just going to take some time getting used to a combi.

walleee this is in the off topic so any can be talked about no matter how little it may seem to other people,And for what its worth i was concerned on how much water im wasting untill i got the warm water.

19. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,464
    Don't worry about it, walleee's bored and is looking for someone to wind up...

20. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    Jeez, I wasn't suggesting you shouldn't talk about it, but that it's not actually a problem, like you say you'll just have to get used to it.

I was actually thinking back to before we got a combi installed, and had to wait an hour sometimes for the immersion heater to heat up, so in comparison, 30 seconds doesn't seem long at all.

not looking to wind anyone up either, hence not being personal in my remarks.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45,464
    Sorry walleee, I should have added a smiley :thumbsup:

22. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hopefully im not going to need a new thread so im going to ask in here,Its getting cold now in this house so the rads will be coming on soon,My question is it better to set the boiler stat near max i have it on 6 and it goes from 1-7,or would it be best to have it set lower?

Wouldn't it be best to have the boiler setting higher so it gets to temp quicker.

23. walleee

walleee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I would have thought that the number refers(loosely) to the uppermost temperature, rather than the rate of heating, but i'm sure a plumber can come in and tell us if i'm right or wrong...

Last edited: Oct 13, 2012
  24. houndlegs

houndlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    If it gets that hot,you may want to turn it down a bit to save energy.
    No point in filling the sink or bath with water that's so hot you need to add cold water to it.

25. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    But more info when i moved in here the boiler stat for the heating was set to 5,I did notice that the bedroom rad did take some time to get warm so thats why i turned it to 6 thinking the rad will get warm quicker.

26. STdrez625

STdrez625
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Arent some of these settings designed as safety measures? Eg you can set the max temp (roughly) for your rads so that little ones wont get burned/scalded, same as withe the max temp of your hot water. Leaving your boiler on preheat simply keeps a reservoir of water preheated so that hot water comes out quicker. Some options use more gas/less water and others less gas/more water.
    30 secs for water is pretty normal, quick even.

27. liamthefirst

liamthefirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    There is something you can get now called a "combisave" what this does is slow down hot water flow rate untill the water gets to set temperature and then Runs at full flow rate. But 30 seconds is defiantly normal. You loos out on your water bill but save on your gas bill as your not unnecessary heating a cylinder of water.

I would leave your boiler stat at the half way mark for heating as this is not how hot your rooms get but how hot the boiler gets. The room stat is what controls heating.

Liam

28. jezzerr

jezzerr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok will do that just thought getting the warm water to the rads would be more cost effective.

29. liamthefirst

liamthefirst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +357
    Well it's it but it's getting the right balance. To low and your rads won't get really hot and to much and could burn yourself on Them. On max the boiler can reach up to 82 degrees.

30. Piscauk

Piscauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    How old is the combi? Are you in a hard water area? Could be the heat exchanger furring up, which just requires cleaning with an ultrasonicator (usually by a professional). If this is the case, it will possibly be slow to heat, hard to keep warm at any reasonable flow rate.