• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Columbo ITV 1 mini-Rant...

Why do they always show a series of clips from the episode before the show? I have to find ways to block them from my sight, and hearing. very annoying! :mad:

Garrett

Why do they always show a series of clips from the episode before the show? I have to find ways to block them from my sight, and hearing. very annoying! :mad:

Could be they use to show teasers for in that episode once of a day. Outer Limit use to show a short clip, and if you catch any first series of Space 1999 on ITV 4 the show little teaser clips.

McNab

Yeah, it used to be quite common back in the old days.

Most recently, Battlestar Galactica did it too.

redwing

They do that with Columbo puts me off rather than make me want to watch.

I agree ive said it many times on here they do it with so many programes now as well.

Dragons Den does it half way through "and which one off these will get a investment ? "

Garrett

Some do just befor the ads coming up, which seems like a cheap way of making less of the program.
Paul O'Grady does a silly one just after the ads of short clips of old programs. Its all padding.

:thumbsdow

A bit different with Columbo to BSG however, because the other channels show it without the clips. These clips seem to have been made by ITV, and they also give a lot away.

redwing

Some do just befor the ads coming up, which seems like a cheap way of making less of the program.
Paul O'Grady does a silly one just after the ads of short clips of old programs. Its all padding.

:thumbsdow

Yeah he does when i first saw that i wondered what was going on whether the interview was recorded then i got it . anoying

topgazza

Distinguished Member
Its become an epidemic. I appreciate that Sky , in particular, have to prmote their shows but they really flog it to death at the beginning of ad breaks and just before the return to the programme. Its now become a major irritant and is, as someone said, filler to pad out the hour. Its use in programmes where they tell you whats coming up is dumbed down TV at its worse. I now never watch any Sky or ITV etc program without Sky+. Wonder if the advertisers know this as I suspect that large volumes of Sky+ customers do the same. More program, less filler please.

The way they flog popular programs in those slots is even worse. WE KNOW WHEN ITS NEXT ON YOU MUPPETS.

On a similar thing the pregnant pauses and eye wandering before Cheryl Cole tells the act on X Factor if they've made or not is comical. Not picking on her but instead of creating drama it looks like they're about to have a stroke. Cheryl...we know and they know..as you know who's made it before you talk to them. Tell the producers to stop it, its facile.

soundstory

Yep it seemed to be common practice up until the mid 80's.

I was watching The Equalizer on DVD & they do it too

McNab

A bit different with Columbo to BSG however, because the other channels show it without the clips. These clips seem to have been made by ITV, and they also give a lot away.

Perhaps the other channels cut them out so they can stick in more adverts ;)

Most shows used to do it when I was a kid. I used to like it, and thinking about Battlestar, I still do.

Perhaps the other channels cut them out so they can stick in more adverts ;)

Most shows used to do it when I was a kid. I used to like it, and thinking about Battlestar, I still do.

Maybe other channels do remove them, but the DVD's don't have them either.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom