1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Columbia Tristar Questionnare

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ian J, Aug 20, 2002.

?
  1. Additional Languages

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  2. Subtitles

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Special Features

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  4. Cast

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  5. Genre

7 vote(s)
    15.9%
  6. Title

18 vote(s)
    40.9%
  7. Packaging

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  8. Price

14 vote(s)
    31.8%
  9. Made by Columbia Tristar

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  10. 5.1 Audio

22 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst waiting for the barbecue to heat up I had a read through the questionnaire enclosed in The One.

It is an obvious attempt to build up a database for future mailshots but one question in particular was interesting.

Why did you buy this film. We all have different priorities and now that I have learnt how to do a poll I thought that I would canvas opinions on this subject using Columbia's Q & A

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

If you send the card off to them, they bombard you with freebies, so far I have received a trailer DVD, a postcard and a large Russel Crowe poster.

I have the poster on my bedroom ceiling;) No doubt you will have seen it whilst visiting my wife:p

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    One hopes you and Mrs mcmullanbrush favour the missionary position then ;)

I wonder if anyone will admit to voting for anything other than 'title'.....

4. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Surely "Story" should be present in the options? Perhaps you could suggest this Ian, as you join up and score a poster for mcmullanbrush to peruse:D

5. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I would've thought 'title' encompassed story?

Happy Birthday, btw.

6. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How come 'picture quality' is not available?
    It's the most important for me.

7. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Even when the movie is perfectly dreadful?

8. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Title:
    Confucius, I wondered this. But then it may be literal; as in drawn in by Title, as some people say this led toward take-up.

Thanks for wish;)

9. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Mmm, I see what you mean.

10. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What an utterly stupid questionnaire. Who the hell buys a DVD for any of those reasons? I have refused to vote on principle.

Well done Ian for ridiculing them :D

11. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Well I didn't vote in my own poll as it didn't have the most important reason for purchase.

i only but DVDs with French writing on the cover.:D

12. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I had quite a long look whilst admiring her tattoos etc etc

13. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I voted for 'Special Features' when I returned mine. I did so in the hope that it will encourage them to keep adding more extra features.
    Yes, it is a stupid poll. I think that 'Title' is perhaps the MOST stupid answer - i.e. I think Jaws is a great film, but I would never buy it becuase it has a poor title! :rolleyes:
    What they are hoping to see is lots of people voting for the 'made by Columbia' category, and very few people voting for the 'packaging' or the 'sound' or the 'extra features' catagories, so that they can then start cutting these features back and thus save money. :rolleyes: :mad:

14. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't help laughing at the 7 people that have so far voted for "Special Features" as being THE most important reason for buying a DVD :D:D

Who cares about films eh? Let's just watch the featurettes, deleted scenes and outtakes [​IMG]

15. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    For those who voted special features. Does this mean you would rather have a DVD with special features and a 2 channel sound track than 5.1 with no special features? I think not.

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really wish I hadn't brought up my dislike of bilingual covers:rolleyes:

17. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Your point does not really make sense as there is not a catagory for 'whether you care about the film' or not - I think the fact that you are buying the DVD suggests that you do like the film doesn't it? And I don't see why liking special features is funny, there are lots of good films that I have not bought yet because of their lack of special features. For me, special faetures are very important, and as I do not have a digital amplifier, they are more important than the sound format.

18. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my mind it doesn't suggest that at all Lex. That's why the poll is so ludicrous to me. If the poll was already assuming that you bought the film because you cared about it, then why, for example, is it asking if "made by Columbia Tristar" is the most important reason? If you like the film, why would you care who the studios are? You might only be influenced by the studio if you had not already seen the movie, i.e. "Oh Columbia Tristar have released some pretty good movies lately, I think I'll buy this DVD because it's made by them".

You misunderstand me Lex. :) There's nothing wrong with liking special features at all! :) It's just that the poll insinuates that one would buy a DVD only for the special features, i.e. as the main reason. This is different to what you are saying. You must remember that you did not fill out your Columbia Tristar questionnaire in the spirit in which it was intended - you ticked "special features" merely to encourage them to add more special features. That's a different matter entirely ;)

Most of the time, I don't care for featurettes, but I do really like deleted scenes and alternative endings. However, if the DVD was only available without special features, then generally I would not refuse to buy it. I am nevertheless wary of newly released DVDs that do not have any special features as I know that that usually means that a feature-laden Special Edition will be released later (and will probably be available for the same price). In those cases, I would wait (e.g. I'm not going to buy the superbit of Panic Room because the extra bit rate is wasted on my setup so I'd rather have the SE for the same price).

My main reason for refusing to buy DVDs is when they have a non-anamorphic transfer. In those cases, I would rather wait for an anamorphic release. That is why I am returning my copy of Running Man R2 that arrived yesterday - I would rather wait for an anamorphic release of it. :) That is also why I have not bought Carlito's Way and I am eagerly anticipating the non-flipper SE of Goodfellas. :)

(BTW, I don't have any sort of AV receiver at all, so I don't worry too much about the sound format either ;))

19. loz99

loz99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Guy's
    The Columbia Tristar poll is absolute tripe, just marketing
    boloney. Whilst C.T. make great dvd packages, and must
    be commended for it, This sort of poll must be taken with
    a pinch of salt.
    Just for the fun of it I'll try to make a point or two:-

I personally think the most important aspect to consider
    is The Price!! That might sound a little simple, or is it?
    When we look at the price of a dvd the most important
    thing that springs to mind is what? Why value for money!!
    value for money means what are we actually getting for
    the cash we're gonna be spending.
    If more than one version of a film is released on dvd then
    what catches our attention quicker than anything else is
    the price isn't it?

I happen to agree with Squirrell God when he say's that
    the film itself is much more important than the extras.
    Provided the picture & sound quality is the best available
    for that particular film, then the extras must come a sorry
    second place in my book!!

If more than one version of the same movie are available
    e.g. one has more extras and they are the same price
    then the one with more extras is the best value for money!!

This stupid attitude of ignoring a good movie on dvd just
    because it's lacking in extras and waiting maybe months
    for the Speeeeeeeccccccial Ediiiiiiiiiiiiiiiition, Just defeats
    the spirit of movie watching.

I say go get the movie now and if it is released later on
    in special edition then a true fan of that particular movie
    will buy it again. Could then trade off the older version
    if you want eh???

Polls and Surveys are a lot of Tripe fit for the dustbin
    just like junkmail & spam!!

This was a good reply, well done SG!!

In my mind it doesn't suggest that at all Lex. That's why the poll is so ludicrous to me. If the poll was already assuming that you bought the film because you cared about it, then why, for example, is it asking if "made by Columbia Tristar" is the most important reason? If you like the film, why would you care who the studios are? You might only be influenced by the studio if you had not already seen the movie, i.e. "Oh Columbia Tristar have released some pretty good movies lately, I think I'll buy this DVD because it's made by them".
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

loz99

20. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    First comes the movie then closely followed by picture and sound quality (5.1 preferred) - but only if the price is right.

Always reminds me of the dreadful Highlander RC1 - great film but lousy picture and sound which totally spoils it.
    Not interested in extras, who released it (do I care?) nor do I buy a film for the cast / genre but surely not for the packaging.

21. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem with this Columbia Tristar Questionnaire lies predominantly in the question that is being asked.

It was obviously written by a moron and no amount of statistical analysis from the questionnaires they do receive will yield anything of use to anyone.

If anyone is in any doubt about that, bear in mind that we can't even agree between us on what this questionnaire is asking! We are all interpreting it in different ways and putting down an answer (apart from those of us who are abstaining) based on what we think Columbia Tristar are looking for or what we think might positively influence them. We also can't agree on what the options mean, e.g. we have already seen different interpretations of the term "Title" on this thread! This renders the obtained results null and void.

As if this wasn't bad enough, we should remember that OFFICIALLY we either buy the R2 DVD of a movie or we don't! That's the only choice available! We are not supposed to be comparing regions and buying the best one. So this is clearly not what the questoinnaire is asking. This fact makes the questionnaire even more idiotic. Sure, there are sometimes different versions available (single disk version or 2-disk special edition), but even then, this questionnaire still makes no sense when we consider the question being asked - "What do you consider the most important when buying a DVD?" - and the options available.

More appropriate questionnaires might have been devised along the lines of:

"Which factors might influence you to purchase a DVD for a movie that you have not yet seen?"

"Apart from the specifications of the movie itself, what additional features do you look for on a DVD?"

"Which of the following special features is most important to you?"

and so on.....

Naturally, the choices available would have to be re-designed as appropriate.

Of course, we should remember that if they were instead asking us about what makes us buy one region over another for a particular movie, then they would be able to derive more useful and realistic results. But they couldn't/wouldn't do that.... yet ;)

22. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tend to agree with SG that 'special' extras are fairly pointless on a DVD you're not likely to buy or watch because the main feature is poor. That said, I rarely watch them on films I do like and own, mainly because I feel they usually tend to detract from the film itself (do we *really* want to know, in-depth, how everything is made? Isn't that like watching the best magic trick in the World and then *demanding* to know how it's done... thus rendering it impotent?)

Another point missed is that many people also have 'unrated' or 'uncut' as a predominant reason for purchasing a DVD. Which brings us back to Squirrel's important point about why an awful lot of R2 residents insist on buying solely R1s...

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with what Lex was saying about special features. I consider them very important and pretty much crucial if it's a film that I am especially fond of.

I don't just like watching film I have an interest in seeing how it was put together and what techniques and tricks were used to bring it to the screen, before DVD I really didn't think about how these things were brought to the screen but now make a point of listening to commentaries and watching documentaries.

I mean how else are you going to find out that the title shot in John Carpenter's The Thing was created using a torch, a smoke-filled fish tank and a burning bin bag?!:D

Like Lex I am also holding off buying a few titles and waiting for what I consider better releases something like grosse point blanke with two commentaries one from director George Armitage and Dan Ackroyd and the other from John Cusack and Minnie Driver.

Of course picture quality must be the primary consideration after the choice of film itself, but in my book extras run a very close second.

I am surprised by how many people here don't own surround set-ups, I thought it was only me!:eek:

24. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I disagree as I hate seeing how a film was made. I find that it destroys the magic of a film if you've seen all the tricks and I find it impossible to get lost in in the film itself afterwards.

25. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unless you're an aspiring film maker and wish to copy the shot/technique (which, if that's the case, probably means you won't get very far) I really don't see WHY you would want to find out.

I'm sure John Carpenter was wholly concerned that the shot looked as good as possible rather than having one eye on what a great visual anecdote it's creation would provide years later...

You might also want to put a *spoiler* alert on your post too, as some people might prefer not to know.

26. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i was a bit worried about that at first but I haven't found it a problem, DVD extras certainly haven't decreased my enjoyment of any films.

27. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it doesn't reveal anything at all about the story.

And why do people have any interest in anything at all? I can't see your argument there. That's like me saying to you I don't see why you're so interested in censorship.
    I guess I'm one of those useless trivia buffs when it comes to films.

28. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It intrigues me how these things are done but I prefer not to know as it can spoil the effect. I guess this comes from growing up with 70s and 80s gore films and loving them as a kid then realising how rudimentary and basic the skills were in making the effects. Wish I'd never seen how they did them.

Well, censorship interests me because I like to see films as they were originally intended if possible and also like to know why others think they know better than me what I should/can watch.

I would totally defend your right to see exactly how films are made if you so wish, I just don't really share your desire for the information and so therefore find those type of extras on DVDs to be of little worth to me.

That said, extras I do like to see are trailers for forthcoming films, which again probably stems from the nostalgic angle of always watching them at the start of rental videos (which, I'm sure, others find pointless, timewasting and 'FF' button material...)

29. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No we agree totally on trailers. I wish DVDs took them up more. I don't own a single retail dvd with trailers and I've only seen one rental disc with them on.

Trailers died a death when they started putting 30 mins worth on every rental video and mixed in some tv adverts to squeeze every last penny out of the release. I used to love watching trailers when I was a kid though, you know what I'm talking about... no internet or magazines telling you what's being released 18 months from now and then WHAM... some amazing trailer would pop up and you couldn't wait until it's release.

30. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah, I personally buy DVD titles if picture quality is very good even though the film is dreadful.