Coloured flashes in games

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by paxton, Jan 2, 2007.

1. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Howdy :hiya:

Just got my 360 and am realy loving it so far! All set up now into my wireless network and working fine apart from ...

When playing games (Gears of War and Arcade Live stuff) the picture is flashing which is annoying on the Arcade games, but downright dreadful on GoW...the background is just a mess of coloured flashes.

I presume this is not a "feature" of the game is it looks terrible, but do any of you wise-ones know what this could be? Have you seen this kind of behaviour before? Is it a dodgy copy of the game? A dodgy lead? A dodgy setup?

For reference, it's attached to my Pioneer PDP434HDE with the standard component cable that it came with, in HD mode.

Thanks in advance of any help/pointers. :)

2. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    *bump*

No-one has seen the flashes on GoW?

Surely this isn't part of the game? :confused:

I've checked my lead and all is ok. I have since played the TDU demo and this behaved perfectly. :confused:

3. Nivelo

Nivelo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I run a 360 through a Toshiba WLT32 via component and have never seen any flashing on any game, this includes GOW, TDU and Arcade among others.

Have you tried the console on a different tv to determine whether the cause is the 360 or the tv itself?

4. celticdaz

celticdaz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Likewise, I am running the 360 through a Fujitsu-Siemens plasma with no problems at all. Would suggest trying it on another tv to see if thats the problem.

5. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Cheers, but as I stated before it plays pefectly well with the Test Drive Unlimited and PES6 demos I downloaded. Also ok with PGR3.

Can I surmise from others who've played it that it's not part of the game then? It isn't supposed to look like a disco amongst all the rubble? :D

Very strange. Maybe it's just the combination of the Pioneer and the game.

Anyone else out there got a Pioneer PDP434HDE ? Maybe I'll fiddle around with settings ...

6. smokingreen

smokingreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Is it only when you move aorund that you see the flashes? Gears has a lot of dark and light colours close together which on a plasma panel can show show up as green flashes, I believe it has something to do with the green phosphur or something like that!

Is this the problem? Or are there lots of flashing colours on a stationary screen?

7. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks for your reply . . . it's lots of flashing on a stationary screen. :(

I've just been fiddling about with the cable and also the colour and settings on the plasma but no joy.

I do get green flashes, but also red and blue and it seems to outline things like doorways and windows and also blocks that are in the distance.

I've just started noticing flashes in the dashboard too, especially around picture thumbnails, the ads for the demos and things like that, but nowhere near as bad as in GoW.

8. p9ul

p9ul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +780
    It may be that you have the 360 set to 50Hz and GOW along with some arcade titles requires 60Hz.

If you're on component / HD, you'll have to switch the 360 back to SD to get the option to swap it over - then swap back to HD.

GOW was the first game that required 60Hz IIRC.

9. Baron Von Doom

Baron Von Doom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +176
    if its doing it on the dashboard and arcade/downloaded games then it sounds like the console could be faulty.

10. TEVEZ032

TEVEZ032
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
  11. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    no need for a reboot...all thats needed is the display mode to change.
    go into the display tab,and change the screen up one resolution,say,from 720 to 1080i,or 480 to 720,and then accept the changes,then revert back to the setting you want...accept the changes,and it should solve it..happened to me a couple of times,and after i did that,it stopped.most likely an update/screen/cable fault..sometimes the updates dont fix everything,they break some stuff..just ask LG screen owners..

12. paxton

paxton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    @Paul_T ... thanks, I've tried and set the 60Hz and it's made no difference. Still set at 60Hz.

@coombes123 ... I hope not! The dash is not bad, just flashes every so often.

@West Hammer ... No, it's not like those pics, that looks nasty. It's just intermitent flashing - maybe I'll try and get a pic of GoW, but as it's flashing I'm not sure it'll come out.

@RottenFox ... Many thanks, I've just tried that but it's not made any difference on the dash. I'll have a look at GoW later though.

Many thanks for all the replies - I'm sure I'll crack it soon. I'm wondering now if it could be interference with the huge amount of wires and cables coming out of the back of my AV rack. :confused: