Coloured clan tags already :(

People with MPizzleUK usernames offend me at their lack of offension by the offensive swastikas.

REPORTED! jk.

I like this how do you do it ?

I did wonder how they'd done it; seen lots of them about.

I was still *****!! :rolleyes:

Ben, I'll always back you up; yes i can confirm you stil are... * ! :rotfl: Daft as a brush fella.

Would they ban swastikas though? Considering Zombies is covered in the things?

Would they ban swastikas though? Considering Zombies is covered in the things?

My reasoning is it's a bit different when used in the context of the game as opposed to some little oik using it simply to get attention or a rise out of people.

Using a swastika as your emblem is like saying you directly import what the Nazi regime perpetrated.

I had a discussion the other day with somebody saying it shouldn't be banned from emblems because it is also a religious symbol in certain faiths.

I call bull on this because the average COD player I encounter isn't aware of any religion other than shallow insults regarding the general race of its followers. It's used simply by immature mouth breathers to gain some portion of notoriety because their Mum didn't hug them enough.

COD would be better with those kind of people banned.

I actually feel that a lot of the Swastika emblem bearers don't display them because they are trying to show hate towards a race, they're just doing it to try to come across as some kind of rebel, a lot of them are probably very young.

It's a very dominant symbol, a symbol of power, of war. You can understand why people use it. I would never defend the use of the symbol but it doesn't offend me like it does some.

I actually feel that a lot of the Swastika emblem bearers don't display them because they are trying to show hate towards a race, they're just doing it to try to come across as some kind of rebel, a lot of them are probably very young.

It's a very dominant symbol, a symbol of power, of war. You can understand why people use it. I would never defend the use of the symbol but it doesn't offend me like it does some.

I don't get offended, I just think what a sad little creature a person must be to use one. Hence, I always report. I'm doing them a favour in the long run. ;)

In all honesty I feel more offended that The early learning centre have decided to remove a pig from their farmyard scenes due to them causing offence to some people- I'm not kidding.

In all honesty I feel more offended that The early learning centre have decided to remove a pig from their farmyard scenes due to them causing offence to some people- I'm not kidding.

That is pathetic.

Using a swastika as your emblem is like saying you directly import what the Nazi regime perpetrated.

If what you're trying to say in that sentence is 'support what the Nazi regime represented' then I disagree. The swastika is also religious symbol, you can't just wave that fact off with 'I call bull'. A little sweeping generalisation to say the average COD player isn't aware of this fact.

I don't get offended, I just think what a sad little creature a person must be to use one. Hence, I always report. I'm doing them a favour in the long run.

Almost as sad as reporting somebody for it dontcha think? Which, in turn, is almost as sad as commenting on a forum about it, but I'm at work killing time! ;)

If what you're trying to say in that sentence is 'support what the Nazi regime represented' then I disagree. The swastika is also religious symbol, you can't just wave that fact off with 'I call bull'. A little sweeping generalisation to say the average COD player isn't aware of this fact.

Almost as sad as reporting somebody for it dontcha think? Which, in turn, is almost as sad as commenting on a forum about it, but I'm at work killing time! ;)

Intentionally sweeping generalisation.

In a community where the pinnacle of communication is a Mum joke or a heavy racial slur, I think the generalisation is quite accurate.

I do meet rational and mature COD players. They generally don't have SS related emblems. Hence my generalisation.

Being called a "N******" by a clan who each had the emblem also supports my sweeping generalisation.

Next one I see, I will see if I can support your argument and ask how the delightful symbol represents their tao of existance or their religion and I'll see if I get any response other than "Uhhh???" or "Shut up you n*****!".

:rolleyes:

mmm... what happened to freedom of speech and expression?

I can see what you mean and I couldn't hand on heart support a blanket ban on everything.

But COD is a regulated, private environment. You pay Activision your cash, you play on Microsoft's or Sony's network then you play by their rules and avoid trying to antagonise people with casual racism.

Do you personally find it acceptable that I was called an 'N' word and told to go back to my own country by these people? (I can laugh it off because I know the kind of people who say these things, others may not)

As well as freedom of speech, inciting racial hatred is equally important. I am aware that half the kids using it won't know the severity of what the symbol can represent but that's no excuse to roll out the 'free speech' argument when there are laws in place to prevent members of society using anything that is racially inflammatory.

In terms of "freedom of speech" and using the swastika as a badge of honour then maybe the people who use it would like to save the time and get it printed on a T-Shirt to walk around their local shopping centre with (a similar private establishment). I wonder how many would savour the attention it generates without internet anonymity or would they suddenly forget about their right to 'freedom of speech'.

Last edited:
I can see what you mean and I couldn't hand on heart support a blanket ban on everything.

But COD is a regulated, private environment. You pay Activision your cash, you play on Microsoft's or Sony's network then you play by their rules and avoid trying to antagonise people with casual racism.

Do you personally find it acceptable that I was called an 'N' word and told to go back to my own country by these people? (I can laugh it off because I know the kind of people who say these things, others may not)

As well as freedom of speech, inciting racial hatred is equally important. I am aware that half the kids using it won't know the severity of what the symbol can represent but that's no excuse to roll out the 'free speech' argument when there are laws in place to prevent members of society using anything that is racially inflammatory.

In terms of "freedom of speech" and using the swastika as a badge of honour then maybe the people who use it would like to save the time and get it printed on a T-Shirt to walk around their local shopping centre with (a similar private establishment). I wonder how many would savour the attention it generates without internet anonymity or would they suddenly forget about their right to 'freedom of speech'.

But this is a game, set in wartime, where the objective is to kill your opponent.

It's not Disney meets My Little Pony on Ice... it's a bloodthirsty struggle for dominance. So in my opinion all the banter that goes on, racist or not, is part of the online experience. If your sensibilities are easily offended, don't play the game.

But this is a game, set in wartime, where the objective is to kill your opponent.

It's not Disney meets My Little Pony on Ice... it's a bloodthirsty struggle for dominance. So in my opinion all the banter that goes on, racist or not, is part of the online experience. If your sensibilities are easily offended, don't play the game.

So you're basically saying, in the context of an online FPS, it's ok to call other players "N*****s".

I love this world.

wow.

If someone get's offended by being called a 'Dumb f**king n***a' I wouldn't be so ignorant to accuse them of being easily offended.

And a 'bloodthirsty struggle for dominance'? No. This is a game. A game that was designed to be FUN. And there is nothing fun or funny about raciscm.

So you're basically saying, in the context of an online FPS, it's ok to call other players "N*****s".

I love this world.

The word you refer to is widely used among young black people, it's in just about every c'Rap' song, and in hundreds of movies starring young black people.

As far as I'm concerned the word has now stopped being offensive - it's only frowned upon by middle aged white men and the general media who choose to be offended because they think they ought to.

The word you refer to is widely used among young black people, it's in just about every c'Rap' song, and in hundreds of movies starring young black people.

As far as I'm concerned the word has now stopped being offensive - it's only frowned upon by middle aged white men and the general media who choose to be offended because they think they ought to.

I am not offended by it's use in certain contexts. I am offended by it when some squeeky voiced reptile spews it at me in an attempt to look tough and to put down a race of people.

If you had read my posts, you would see I'm neither middle aged or white. I am mixed race, in my 20's and generally have a pretty high tolerance of crude, profane humour, extreme music and film etc.

Now who is making a sweeping generalisation?

The only people who are offended by being called racial names are middle aged white people? You really have confused me because my circle of friends would beg to differ.

wow.

If someone get's offended by being called a 'Dumb f**king n***a' I wouldn't be so ignorant to accuse them of being easily offended.

And a 'bloodthirsty struggle for dominance'? No. This is a game. A game that was designed to be FUN. And there is nothing fun or funny about raciscm.

It's a game about killing, you clot, not catching flowers in your rainbow coloured hat.

Like it or not, racism is embedded in the human psyche, and has been for 2 million years. When it's used as a reason to kill millions of people it's wrong, when it's young people taking the pee out of each other in a game it's harmless, because everyone can give as good as they get.

Or can you prove otherwise?

wow.

This made me laugh too but I didn't want to go there! :rotfl:

The analogy that because it's a war game anything (including racism) goes is hilarious. Would Philbot turn up at paintball and tell the instructor to "Move your black ass!" because he'd seen it in Full Metal Jacket?

It's a computer game, and as a rational human being I've never felt the need to behave towards someone in a way that I wouldn't behave in real life simply because of anonymity. Maybe if the game brings out all this bloodthirsty dominance in you, you should seek a counselor or restrict your play time.

It's a game about killing, you clot, not catching flowers in your rainbow coloured hat.

Like it or not, racism is embedded in the human psyche, and has been for 2 million years. When it's used as a reason to kill millions of people it's wrong, when it's young people taking the pee out of each other in a game it's harmless, because everyone can give as good as they get.

Or can you prove otherwise?

What if I don't particularly like throwing a racial slur back and adding to the fire?

Also, just because you've heard a Kanye song on the radio doesn't mean you're suddenly ingrained in black culture enough to make the assumption that no black person finds the 'N' word offensive.

Some find it incredibly offensive and you will find a LOT will find it incredibly offensive when uttered to them by some 15 year old who is using it in a sense to imply their race makes them inferior.

Just because someone is playing a war video game doesn't mean that racism is suddenly part of the game or do I have to hammer that point some more?

Last edited:
What if I don't particularly like throwing a racial slur back and adding to the fire?

Also, just because you've heard a Kanye song on the radio doesn't mean you're suddenly ingrained in black culture enough to make the assumption that no black person finds the 'N' word offensive.

Some find it incredibly offensive and you will find a LOT will find it incredibly offensive when uttered to them by some 15 year old who is using it in a sense to imply their race makes them inferior.

Just because someone is playing a war video game doesn't mean that racism is suddenly part of the game or do I have to hammer that point some more?

Hammer away - personally nothing offends me more than being told what I can/cannot say/do

Continue on your crusade - you know you really might change the world!

:D

This made me laugh too but I didn't want to go there! :rotfl:...

It's a computer game, and as a rational human being I've never felt the need to behave towards someone in a way that I wouldn't behave in real life simply because of anonymity. Maybe if the game brings out all this bloodthirsty dominance in you, you should seek a counselor or restrict your play time.

maybe you should see a councelor about being so uptight and easily offended LOL

Hammer away - personally nothing offends me more than being told what I can/cannot say/do

Continue on your crusade - you know you really might change the world!

:D

It's better than giving up and joining in, and for being different I will be grateful.

Enjoy your evening Sir. :smashin:

Jeeez - I'm actually really surprised by the recent events in this thread; and not in a good way :thumbsdow

I saw the original posts regarding the unacceptable use of the swastika. I almost replied to the effect that I can see that in some cases it may not be intended to be offensive e.g. we know the game is played by kids, whatever the age certificate says, the game contains a mode called "nazi zombies" where swastika's are emblazened upon flags etc., so I suggest it's feasible that in ome cases (likely a minority) some kids may have just innocently picked up the symbol and started to use it. The reason I refrained from posting though, is if offense is caused, even if not intended, then there is a problem so all-in-all I figured discretion was the better part of valour and didn't reply.

But now I will reply given the recent debate. BTW I don't intend to get sucked into this argument - it's just me stopping by with my thoughts; take them or leave them.

Firstly, I'm a middle aged (just about) white male and the 'N' word definitly offends me. I don't like to hear it, I don;t say it, and I get offended on behalf of anyone that is called it. I must confess I don't even like to hear it said by black people on those rap songs either, but that's another issue.

Secondly, irrespective of whether it offends people to be told what they can or cannot say; there are certain rules of etiquette that distinguishes civilised people from uncivilised. In a civilised society people cannot simply say whatever they feel like and expect it to be acceptable; it's not. This isn't me getting on any high horse, it's a fact. You walk down the street and say something like that you could be arrested for racial incitement etc. The law says it's not acceptable in the street, so why should it be acceptable over the internet (which the PSN is just an extension of).

Saying "you can just give as good as you get so it's not a problem" is such a thin argument it's not worth commenting on.

I do agree that it's a game about killing, so we need to assume a certain level of maturity. But we must also remember that there are real people at the other end of the mics who have a right to expect to be treated with a certain amount of respect. And making racist remarks is not treating anyone with respect.

Change the world by discouraging racism on PSN? Probably not. But by not discouraging it (and so potentially implying it's acceptable and hence encouraged) I'm damned sure can only lead to trouble. Like it or not a big proportion of teenagers spend a lot of time playing console games. The PSN is an extension of their real lives. So if we don't promote reasonable rules and boundaries there, then those rules and boundaries can't be expected to be recognised in "the real world". I'm not some sensationalist idiot who thinks that gaming is bringing down society, but having two children of my own I can see first hand that consoles can and do have a material effect on their attitudes in the real world. And I know what I'd do if I ever heard either of them say the 'N' word

'nuff said.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom