1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour uniformity LCD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by pablomr_2000, Aug 29, 2003.

1. pablomr_2000

pablomr_2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How can i fix this problem in my Sanyo Z1. Is a problem of the light path?.

Nobody seems to know the real cause. Isn`t it?.

Thanks a lot

Pablo (Spain)

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Pablo,

Hi and welcome to the forums.

You haven't described the effect of the problem - I'm assuming that by "colour uniformity" you mean that on an all grey screen, you can see that one side of the image is tinted green, and the other is either blue or red tinted. If this is the case, then I guess it's down to some kind of distortion in the optics, and it's not fixable (that I know of) by the user. Lots of LCD projectors suffer from this kind anomoly, some more severely than others. If you adjust the brightness and contrast to appropriate levels, you might find it's a lot less noticeable.

If the lack of colour uniformity is more severe, with strong colour mismatch or difference when the projector is showing an image, then there could be heat damage to the polarisors/lcd panels. One way or another, it's a job for Sanyo to tackle under warranty.

All the best

Sean G.

3. pablomr_2000

pablomr_2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Sean.

The colour uniformity that i note is the same as you described.

I only see it in indoors scenes, and i think it´s a kind of obssesion. I can´t stop looking for it.

maybe i need to replace it with a Sanyo Z2 when available, :)

This is the second unit i have and the problem is the same. They think this is not a problem and everything is normal. Maybe Sanyo need to control it a bit more seriously.

Thanks a lot
    Pablo (Spain)

4. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I have had 3 Panni 300`s same anomaly. Looks like poor convergence on a real projector tv.

5. pablomr_2000

pablomr_2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen two Panasonic 300 with the same problem?. No one had reported the lack of colour uniformity in this projector. I thought it was only obvious in the Sanyo Z1.

Pablo
    Spain

6. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    No from what I can gather all LCD projectors have a similar display. I think its something to do with getting all three panels in alignment. I maybe wrong. I posted about this a couple of months ago and a few people had spotted it on their 300`s.

7. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +504
    I have just replied to Pablo on this subject via PM.

I had this problem with my Panny AE100. Sent it back to Panasonic for repair. It does appear to be due to overheating on the panels.

They fixed mine using software using software (or so I was told). Maybe it boosts the colour in the affected patches to cure the problem. I guess a new panel could suffer the same problem if they simply replaced it.

I'll be taking out an extended warranty before November though.

It's now better than it was, but still not 100% but hardly noticeable now unless the image is a very uniform colour all the way across - as in the Matrix for example which is a very green image all over.

Chris

8. pablomr_2000

pablomr_2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Chris for your help. The problem cannot be a heat damage as my two units were brand new. It's a typical problem related to the Lcd technology.

Jack, the problem we are refering are not the same. One thing is poor convergence in the three panels and other thing is the colour uniformity variation. Same parts of the panel are illuminated with more intensity, usually the corners. Producing two green colour corners and two violet.

What surprises me is the lack of information about this problem. Nobody is sure about the real cause.

Thanks a lot
    Pablo (Spain)

9. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I read somewhere (can't remember exactly..........) that it is sometimes associated with the prism - could also come from uneven panel gain - that would be fixable through the service menu.

Sean G.