• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Colour Tone

pwlewisuk

What colour tone is best to use with the xbox 360, should it be Normal or Warm 1?

I also have a contrast of 95
Brightness of 50
Sharpness of 16
Colour of 55
Tint of 50
Backlight of 5

Does this sound good settings?

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Suppose it all depends on ur TV, id always stick colour tone on normal and work around that to get things good. And turn off all things like noise reductions, Black stretch etc etc, Never does any good. And sometimes sharpness can spil things if too high (depends on TV but mine is on 12, any higher and it get worse.)
One Good thing to do when setting Pic settings is to use good dvds u know well or decent HD material if poss is even better and set colours/blacks up that way. Look for stuff with reds/greens and blues in and some with Good close ups of people and set it all to look as natural as poss.
What id do is go download some vids from here, put em on DVD or flash drive, and have a nice tweak to get things looking natural as poss.
and another tip is once ur happy just leave it, or u be always tinkering and it annoying you. I fiddled for a month or more before finaly leaving it alone.

Coral Reef Adventure, Magic of Flight and To The Limit has glorious colours and is good stuff to tweak with.

WMV HD Content Showcase

Last edited:

GMC79

Distinguished Member
Mine on 12, but this all TV dependent and mine gonna be no real guide for u. But from what ive experianced usually need minimal sharpness as can spoil things a lot if too high, again tho depends on TV.
Id also be turning down that tint and starting again with the colour setting.
Download them 3 vids i mentioned and give it a try.
If u get it set nice with a few of them games will look good too, i prefere setting things with good HD clips like that as its easier to see when u get Colours and blacks natural but others may prefere using games to set things up.
This kinda thing all trial and error.

sparkymark75

What colour tone is best to use with the xbox 360, should it be Normal or Warm 1?

I also have a contrast of 95
Brightness of 50
Sharpness of 16
Colour of 55
Tint of 50
Backlight of 5

Does this sound good settings?

To be honest mate, these settings mean nothing. Even someone with the same TV can't tell you if those settings are any good as they will have a different viewing environment and no two TV's are the same.

Without instruments to measure/calibrate your TV, a "good looking" picture is subjective. Using those settings above may look good to you but horrid to someone else.

Your best options are to set your TV up by; eyesight, calibration DVD, self calibration using software and sensor and professionally calibrated (ordered by easiness/cost)

pwlewisuk

so what are all your settings then as a rough guide for mine, do you use a dynamic mode, standard or movie mode. I find dynamic give me a more vibrant picture than the other 2.

pwlewisuk

To be honest mate, these settings mean nothing. Even someone with the same TV can't tell you if those settings are any good as they will have a different viewing environment and no two TV's are the same.

Without instruments to measure/calibrate your TV, a "good looking" picture is subjective. Using those settings above may look good to you but horrid to someone else.

Your best options are to set your TV up by; eyesight, calibration DVD, self calibration using software and sensor and professionally calibrated (ordered by easiness/cost)

May i ask though what sharpness setting you have for your games thats the one i find hard to work on

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
Alot of TVs are too blue on normal (to make the whites whiter), so using Warm is advised, but this is only for a TV that gives you a white balance, which enables you to then remove the red shift.

And before you say 'It depends on taste', I disagree with that. The whole point is to calibrate your TV to industry standards, otherwise you never see the intended colour. You'd be surprised how shifted peoples taste in colours can make things.

sparkymark75

And before you say 'It depends on taste', I disagree with that. The whole point is to calibrate your TV to industry standards, otherwise you never see the intended colour. You'd be surprised how shifted peoples taste in colours can make things.

Exactly mate, which is why I spent the money on an Eye-One sensor and learned the software to get my TV setup as close to REC 709 as possible.

Dinky Dragon

I have the Samsung LE37A656A - Have calibrated, with filters too. Settings are as follows for a large room with lights off.

Mode - Movie
Backlight - 7
Contrast - 97
Brightness - 47
Sharpness - 2
Color - 52
Tint - 50

Black Adjust - Low
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Native
Flesh Tone - 0
Edge Enhancment - Off
XVYCC - On (You will have to set Color Space on 360 for Hi-Def)

Color Tone - Warm 1
Size - Just Scan
100hz - Low

I have used 3 different settings as its hard to kick old habits which your eyes are used to but the above is my final setting. It is insanly realistic and accurate. I have pressure tested it on Fallout 3, Gears 2, Mirrors Edge, Vegas 2, Assasins Creed, Bioshock, Fight Night R4 and Fable 2 *Gasps for air* I also use these settings for my PS3 and Blu-Ray and the realism in content like 300, Planet Earth and Cloverfield is unbelievable.

I dont wanna whine but writing this on my PS3 has taken yonks, if 1 person doesnt try this heads will roll (Only kidding)

The thing to remember about doing a proper calibration is time. Dont calibrate then wimp out because your picture doesnt look as funky. Leave it about a week for your eyes to adjust and you will most likely not even want to go back to the old prosthetic settings .

Hope someone finds this useful.:thumbsup:

virtual_boy

These are calibrated settings for firmware version 1011.2 (non auto dimming) I use on my LE46A656 for my 360, PS3 and SKY HD (all via HDMI), as mentioned above they are really no good to you as every pannel is different and will also ship with different service menu settings (accessing SM will reset the user menu and may void warranty).

Mode: Movie
Backlight: 3
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 51
Tint: G49/R51

Detailed settings
Black adjust: Off
Dynamic contrast: Off
Gamma: -1
Color space: Custom
R 50 0 0
G 45 50 0
B 0 15 50
Y 50 45 0
C 33 50 50
M 43 11 50
Flesh tone: 0
Edge enhancement: Off
xvYCC: Off

White balance
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 25
B-Offset: 19
R-Gain: 26
G-Gain: 25
B-Gain: 29

Color tone: Warm2
Size: Just Scan
Digital NR: Off
HDMI black level: Low
Blue only mode: Off

Entertainment: Off
Energy saving: Off

Props to viol8r.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Hisense U7H TV and T+A Solitaire T headphone reviews, AV/HiFi news plus, what is screen uniformity?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom