1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Colour temperature - user setting

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timmy C, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I've just replaced my Denon 2900 with an Arcam dv27A to use with my Domino20 but I'm not altogether happy with the picture using the new machine. I've set brightness and contrast using the PAL DVE disc but the picture seems a little yellow looking. I've tried playing about with all the settings but can't seem to settle on anything!

My question is can I experiment with the user settings for colour temperature without causing any damage to the machine itself ? I switched from the 'medium' setting to 'user' and then briefly tried reducing the blue setting by 5 which already seemed to look better but I've not tested it with a lot of material. Before I really start playing with it I want to be sure I'm not going to do any permenant damage.

Thanks for any advice!

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Timmy C

You can't do any damage to your Sim2 by making any adjustments in the Menu Settings.

On your VE test disc there are grey scale steps and ramps that allow you to see what is happening to the colour of grey at different brightness levels (0 to 100 IRE)

By adjusting the Gain (Red, Green and Blue) you are changing the light end of the grey scale (Contrast or White Level)

By Adjusting the Offset (Red, Green, and Blue) you are changing the dark end of the grey scale (Brightness or Black Level)

The gain and offset are interactive (just like Brightness and Contrast), so you will have to check one if you have adjusted the other.

You are trying to keep the colour of grey the same at each IRE level. In other words the grey bars should not be biased to Red, Green or Blue.

Hope this helps

Jeff

:rtfm:

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    I don't have 'gain' and 'offset' controls on my Domino20. Is that a feature of the 20H or am I in need of a software upgrade? My colour temp controls have 3 set colour temps(low,med,high) and a 'user' setting that lets you increase/decrease red,green and blue seperately but there's no mention of gain or offset!

Glad to hear I'm not going to harm the pj/bulb if I experiment though!

Cheers

4. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    What software version do you have ?

The latest version I have is 2.35.05

Jeff :rtfm:

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Software version is 2.18.07.

I take it I should install the new version?

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
  7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Timmy C

I have sent you the latest s/w

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Thanks for the software update! Just loaded it and it's now showing as 2.35.05 but still no 'gain' or 'offset' control mentioned in the colour temp settings. If you could give me a hint as to what the user setting actually does when you increase below and above zero for each colour it may help. There's little in the user manual to help and I've not found a lot on the net either!

Cheers

9. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Tim,

The s/w is different on the 20 compared to the 20H, 30H and 300Xtra which all share the same s/w (2.36.09) which is why the menu is different.

You can still achieve the same results by adjusting the parameters whilst displaying the 0 to 100 IRE grey bars from VE or Avia.

Don't be afraid to experiment as you can't do any harm.
    Try to get the grey bars to look pure grey without any red,green or blue bias.

You can switch between USER and MEDIUM to see what difference you have made. USER and MEDIUM look the same when the USER settings are all set down the middle.